Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Ukraine

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:05 pm

Is this just a huge dick measuring contest or are we on the edge of something very horrible?

Hatredsheart

Re: Ukraine

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:28 pm

I think it's a case of neither side wanting to be seen to be backing down.
This is from 2015 but I found it a really interesting watch given the current situation

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:58 pm

The only person who knows what will happen next is Putin and it seems he is playing a KGB trick of mental games.

I cannot see Russia coming out of this well. Attack and he will have a headache of occupying a nation that does not want to be occupied. Back down and he give Nato Eastern Europe the breathing space to arm themselves to the teeth.

Its a tad worrying that all this brinkmanship is done with someone who has enough arsenal to obliterate the whole of the West.

Its interesting that he waited for Trump to be out of office and try it no with Biden. Having read a book on the reason for the start of WWI I can see history repeating itself (historians believe it was Russian mobilisation in fear of a German attack that actually resulted with a German attack) but I cannot understand why now? Its not like we had a Franz Ferdinand event to point to.

I am not saying a nuclear war will happen, but my greatest fear is that we have zero room for error.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:41 am

There’s not going to be anything resembling a war, outside of Russia rolling over Ukraine in a few days (hours?). This is what it boils down to:
“BBC News” wrote:Should a further Russian incursion into Ukraine happen, the leaders agreed that "allies must enact swift retributive responses including an unprecedented package of sanctions".

Earlier on Monday, the Pentagon said some 8,500 combat-ready US troops are on high alert to deploy at short notice.

But they would only be deployed if the Nato military alliance decides to activate a rapid-reaction force, "or if other situations develop" around the Russian troop build-up, said Pentagon press secretary John Kirby.

There are no plans to deploy to Ukraine itself, he added.
In other words, NATO will grumble loudly but won’t actually do any fighting, because we don’t have much strategic interest in Ukraine. Our biggest problem in the UK is that we get a load of gas from Russia, so if we impose sanctions then expect energy prices to rocket up even further.

The video above is very informative and contextualises a lot of this. We’ve put ourselves in a position where we can’t be seen to be doing nothing but we equally have little interest in actually defending Ukraine in any substantive way.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:44 am

the hyporcacy is breathtaking. When Iraq invaded Kuwait - the US was all in. When Russia invades Ukraine "there is nothing we can do"

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 am

Surely there's nobody outside the US who actually believes the US defends nations when it's not in their own interest?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:52 am

Was the US not fairly open about the first gulf war happening to safeguard oil supplies? Besides, as massive as Iraq's army was at the time, they had no way of attacking the US on a large scale, unlike modern day Russia.

Not provoking a world war in defence of a country with low strategic value is probably the sensible thing to do, frankly. Nobody wants to see Russia invade, but there's only so much pressure you can apply without shooting at one another.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:56 am

It's ok, James Holden will save us

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:16 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 am
Surely there's nobody outside the US who actually believes the US defends nations when it's not in their own interest?
oh I know, its the blantant hypocracy of it all.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:47 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:52 am
Was the US not fairly open about the first gulf war happening to safeguard oil supplies? Besides, as massive as Iraq's army was at the time, they had no way of attacking the US on a large scale, unlike modern day Russia.

Not provoking a world war in defence of a country with low strategic value is probably the sensible thing to do, frankly. Nobody wants to see Russia invade, but there's only so much pressure you can apply without shooting at one another.
Thanks for saying what I was about to. It's hardly a comparison, Iraq vs Russia. I'm no patriot, over here in the US, but we aren't feeling suicidal as a rule - WWIII against Russia would be apocalyptic.

Ukraine is an ally, and one that we're attempting to get into NATO. This is all quite complicated. To say that America "will do nothing" because Ukraine has no 'strategic value' is missing the point.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:00 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:47 pm
Ukraine is an ally, and one that we're attempting to get into NATO. This is all quite complicated. To say that America "will do nothing" because Ukraine has no 'strategic value' is missing the point.
Fair point, I'd missed the potential NATO member angle. To be honest I'm surprisingly clueless on this matter, given how much I try to just avoid the news these days as it's never anything but depressing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:46 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:47 pm
I don't think it is missing the point. Obviously nobody wants a massive war between Russia and NATO, but can you honestly say NATO would take no military action if Russia was threatening to invade certain other non-NATO countries - say, Finland? What if they went for Ireland? Russia is making this move because they know they can get away with it. They know it, we know it, all of NATO knows it and sadly Ukraine knows it.

I'm not passing judgement on NATO's passive-aggressive stance as it's the only sensible choice here, but the lack of any compelling non-humanitarian reason for us to defend Ukraine absolutely IS the point.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 pm

It's possible they'll end up annexing a chunk, like they did with Crimea. A chunk big enough to be a show of strength but small enough to prevent major retaliation.

Long term, NATO needs to obviously get its member nations to stop relying on Russian gas, but something tells me that won't happen. The radio silence coming from Germany about all this is genuinely unnerving.

Nether Russia or NATO want a wider war, therefore it won't happen. But at some point NATO need to get a step ahead and put pressure on Putin for once.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:37 pm

Bit of a recap of how we got here:

https://t.co/5jiXmMhxvX
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 am

I find it incredulous that Putin needs to threaten Ukraine with annexiation based on his idea that the Russian and Ukranians are the same people. That was the same reasoning HItler had for Anschluss. If they are the "same people" than why do they want to join Nato or the EU or threaten them in the first place. Like every country borders are messy, just look at the Middle East, and the East Ukranians probably feel Russian, but the Western Ukranians don't. And Ukranian did not slip into civil war to "resolve" this issue.

This is a land grab by a guy who is natural instinct is paranoia.

As for Nato. It really should not have expanded East but its very telling that Eastern European govt wanted to join because they remember the shit that was the Soveit Union,