Arty Antics and Similar Stuff

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: Arty Antics and Similar Stuff

Post by Raid » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:44 am

That's seriously impressive, I honestly thought it was a photo for a moment as the page loaded.

I have absolutely no idea what Jojos Bizarre Adventure is about; Netflix keeps trying to get me to watch it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:00 pm

I took a break from Drawabox over the long weekend to have a go at digital painting.

I'm a big fan of fantasy settings where there's ancient, mysterious technology and magical devices, the purpose and operation of which has been lost to time. I don't know what The Orb does. I know not whether the pillars create The Orb or restrain it. I don't know why The Orb does not cast a shadow. The Orb creates no noise, but sits perfectly still even in high winds. I would not approach The Orb.

It's not exactly going to get me a job with a major film or game studio, but I'm happy with it as a first attempt at anything like this. It was pretty interesting learning how to use different brushes to create textures and the fundamentals of light and shadow and how they're depicted.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:27 pm

Solid first effort. Getting directional shadows right is a huge pain until you get so used to it that you can more or less do it accurately without drawing in perspective lines. Give it a go with the orb next and place the ground shadow for it and you'll have the fundamentals for shadows down pretty much.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:31 pm

Oh The Orb doesn't have a shadow for a reason, it's supposed to imply an other-worldliness or maybe unease, although I suppose it does just make it look unfinished. I did actually put one down at one point but decided to remove it. It's simple enough to do; take the circle, stretch it, play around with the layer type (I forget what I went with in the end), rotate it until it matches the direction of the light source, then play around with the opacity until it looks right, and then cut into it with one of the grass brushes to imply brightly lit grass between the viewer's eye and the shade.

To be honest I was happy with the pillar shadows, but I may have got the angle wrong on the right-most one.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:30 am

DEVO by my daughter. She's really into learning 80s guitar stuff, especially New Wave and such. I'm not sure how she does it - she's got a great eye for blocking color and shading. At first glance, this looks more like a photograph than the actual reference photo, at least while browsing Instagram on my phone. Obviously digital painting when posted at this resolution here.

Reference image:

https://www.instagram.com/byrgenwerthh/
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:56 am

Mind if I join in?
Spoiler
Garkon (a space wandering monstmercscavenger type character who upgrades his own body and mind) I became particularly connected to the character and I wrote a fair few treatments and adventures that I never got round to actually putting any pencils to. His at times obsessive want to better himself both physically and spiritually to thrive and survive a very harsh timeline resonates greatly with me. Pretty sure I shared some very early concept art of him back in the old PW days.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:36 pm

I had forgotten about your arty talents. Very cool portrait dude.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:10 pm

So, with a bit of pushing, I've decided to take part in this year's Inktober. I've long thought this a great idea but never really felt like I had the skills to take part. Well, I still don't, but my progress has been really slow recently (partially because I got really bogged down and hyper-focused on one specific technique during a bad mental-health period), and while I've been fairly dedicated to the technique and theory side of this stuff, I've massively neglected actually producing any actual artwork. This is part of me fixing that.

These are this year's prompts:
Spoiler
Obviously I'm not working with actual ink, I'm sticking with my Wacom display and CSP. And much as I hope to produce something every day, it's not unusual for me to have a bad day at work and not feel very creative after, so we'll see how things go.

Anyway, here's day 1: Gargoyle.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:07 pm

Nice. I could see that hanging outside a trendy bar, The Gargoyles Rest.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:50 am

That's neat. Art is meant to be enjoyable and fun. I think it's easy to forget that when you're learning and just endlessly drilling foundation skills. That's why little challenges like these are so good, because they get you to actually be creative and in the habit of drawing something other than just exercises. Keep at it!

I didn't draw anything for fun in months and totally psyched myself out of even picking up a pen or pencil for almost a year. Tempted to give the Inktober challenge a go.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:13 pm

Day 2: Scurry

This was... ambitious. I knew it was ambitious when I came up with the concept but I did it anyway. I haven't really drawn finished human figures yet, I've certainly never drawn a mouse from this (or any) angle before, I've barely any practice with shading, and putting all of this together in relatively small amount of time I had to do it was going to be a challenge.

But hey, I thought the idea of a tiny human scurrying away from a mouse was vaguely funny, so here we are.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 am

Those look great man, so happy you decided to enter.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:04 pm

Day 3: Bat.

God damn I'm witty.

I'm blaming this one on a slightly frustrating day at work and having been awake since half three this morning, as my body is wont to do. I Just did not have any good ideas for finishing the piece once I'd drawn the subject, or at least everything I tried looked like crap and I eventually settled on a boring black fill and white outline.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:03 am

Day 4: Scallop.

I wasn't really sure where to go with this one as Scallop doesn't really have much in the way of alternate meaning. Then I looked up what a Scallop actually looks like and they're the most Mimic-looking creatures I've ever seen (seriously, google Bay Scallop), so this one sorta designed itself. I had a bit more time today so I had chance to slap some virtual paint on it too.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:48 am

Nice. Keep 'em coming.
-- To be completed at some point --