Arty Antics and Similar Stuff

Exciting adventures IRL.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Arty Antics and Similar Stuff

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:41 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:50 am
I didn't draw anything for fun in months and totally psyched myself out of even picking up a pen or pencil for almost a year.
Yep, it happens. At the same time I can very often have several projects on the go at once and have a complete mental block on one but just absolutely coast through with another to final completion. Seeing Raid serve up works daily has been really hitting home how much picking the right subject can overcome much of that. Below is something I started but abandoned and all this recent stuff inspired me with going back to - I settled with the understanding that less can be more when comfortable with your own art style and I really enjoy the messy look after sticking with nothing but super clean for so long.
Spoiler
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:48 pm

Day 5: Flame

I sorta hate this one, but frankly I've had 12 hours sleep in four days, which isn't exactly ideal for creativity. I wanted to go for a highly stylised, sorta low-poly look, but the insomnia kinda kicked my arse and I just didn't have the energy to do it justice.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Day 6: Bouquet

I didn't much fancy drawing flowers, so I drew the next most appropriate thing (probably) for a bouquet to consist of.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:47 pm

A bonequet!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:58 pm

Day 7: Trip

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:06 am

Day 8: Match

A bit literal today, but I realised the other day that I had zero practice drawing hands, so figured this fit another brief too. The hand shape is done from photo reference, although the lighting largely isn't. The "atmosphere" was probably inspired by the fact that I had my Southern Gothic playlist on in the background, which just brings to mind visions of naked flames and moody illumination for me.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:19 am

I'm throwing today's out there because the whole idea of this process is posting your work, but just know that this is an unfinished, aborted attempt where I had an idea in my head but executed it terribly, and while I think I have the skill to do it justice, it would basically require starting from scratch (which I'd sorta already done partially; the walls on the back and side were originally hand drawn before I went back and replaced them with ones drawn using the line tool). My heart clearly wasn't in it for this and I just wanted to get back to another project I'm working on. I don't want to force these things, I'm happy for some of them to be misses, and I think I've so far had more hits.

Day 9: Nest
Spoiler

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:37 am

I like it anyway
-- To be completed at some point --

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:55 pm

Yep, all very good the last few Raid. Great job.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:33 pm

I'm making up for yesterday with today's piece I think, because I'm bloody delighted with it.

Day 10: Crabby.

Bonus paint-only version which I thought looked pretty good too.
Spoiler

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:24 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:33 pm
Spoiler
I know it's Inktober and all, but I really do like this one. Perfect colour tones, gj dude.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:09 am

Yeah, I think with a bit of tidying up the line-less version would probably be my favourite. It was a happy accident that came from me turning layers on and off trying to find the one I'd accidentally done some painting on. It could do with a little more contrast to separate some elements.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:49 am

This is a fantastic project mate, well done. There are some great ideas stemming from each day. I am of the opinion that "Nest" should be revisited, maybe at the end of the month, because the concept deserves to get to the finish. I think your dissatisfaction is because of the lines of perspective, tighten them up with some sort of isometric snap-to-grid and you will feel much better about it, because it is a great riff on the day's theme. Keep it up, great work. =D>
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:19 pm

Did you ever have an idea, a really dumb one that you don't really understand the logic behind, that you can't get out of your head until you put it down on paper? No? Me neither.

Anyway, on an unrelated note; Day 11: Eagle.

Seriously, I think the entire idea stemmed from wanting to draw a wing with a big swooping arc, and what else has a big swooping arc? A guitarist doing a power chord. I think that's the entire concept, and this is what it lead to.

And cheers Mark; I knew that was what was wrong with it, and I'd already had the idea of coming back to it later.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:55 pm

The Walk
Spoiler