D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Post by Mantis » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:22 pm

Hope you're feeling better soon pal, back pain is the worst.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:39 pm

All of the rules and background traits/classes etc for playing Pathfinder are available for free online so this may be more for Pete than anyone else, but Humble Bundle are currently running a deal on £350s worth of 2e digital books for £20. It's a pretty incredible collection of very well presented rulebooks, supplementary books, the Dungeon Master Guide equivalent, Pathfinder world background books and a couple of their written adventure paths akin to the adventures WotC release.

The artwork and sheer amount of awesome lore info makes it a worthwhile purchase for any DMs in my opinion.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/so-y ... bookbundle

I've read a big chunk of the core rules now and have come to the opinion that it is quite a bit better than 5e in terms of actual gameplay mechanics. Looks like a lot of fun, albeit the additional elements written into rules which 5e gives more leeway for DMs to just improvise on the fly does mean that it is a slightly more complicated system. I wouldn't say it is overly complex though, there's just a ton of material to use or ignore at your will.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:46 pm

Chris has been working hard on Dharnon's character sheet, here's the finished product.

Thanks very much again for doing it, dude.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:20 pm

Manacles, eh? :shock:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:45 pm

One of the entertaining things about making these is that I've tried to do them as blindly as possible, not asking for any explanations. I got to draw a pair of old-timey manacles and I'm not exactly sure why.

And lastly, here's Opus, who I'd already basically designed a couple of months back, but made some alterations. The alterations are canon incidentally; Opus removed the sleeves from his robe because it's far too big (it wasn't made for him) and he might set it on fire if he tries to conjure flame.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:04 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:39 pm
All of the rules and background traits/classes etc for playing Pathfinder are available for free online so this may be more for Pete than anyone else, but Humble Bundle are currently running a deal on £350s worth of 2e digital books for £20. It's a pretty incredible collection of very well presented rulebooks, supplementary books, the Dungeon Master Guide equivalent, Pathfinder world background books and a couple of their written adventure paths akin to the adventures WotC release.

The artwork and sheer amount of awesome lore info makes it a worthwhile purchase for any DMs in my opinion.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/so-y ... bookbundle

I've read a big chunk of the core rules now and have come to the opinion that it is quite a bit better than 5e in terms of actual gameplay mechanics. Looks like a lot of fun, albeit the additional elements written into rules which 5e gives more leeway for DMs to just improvise on the fly does mean that it is a slightly more complicated system. I wouldn't say it is overly complex though, there's just a ton of material to use or ignore at your will.
Cheers for the heads up, I've grabbed the bundle. Funnily enough, yesterday I treated myself to the physical book of the revised Kingmaker adventure for P2, as in the campaign which the Owlcat CRPG was based on. Even just casually browsing it, the quality of information and the way its presented is excellent. Not sure if I'd ever run the full campaign from start to finish but I'll probably use material from it as inspiration to incorporate things in other campaigns.

All good for tomorrow at 7pm, btw.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:09 pm

Great, how's the back doing?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 pm

Ha, the back's fine now thanks, but I've had a substantial gout attack the last couple of days. :lol: I'm falling to bits! Thankfully it hurts least in a sitting position, so D&D will take my mind off it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:14 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 pm
Ha, the back's fine now thanks, but I've had a substantial gout attack the last couple of days. :lol: I'm falling to bits! Thankfully it hurts least in a sitting position, so D&D will take my mind off it.
Ouch, that's nasty :(

Oh, and re that bundle: goddamn, I just paid twice that for the beginner's box alone :lol:

I'm actually going to buy it as well, though, for £20 just the flip-mats and adventure guides alone will be great for continuing the sessions with the kids once we've finished the beginner's box adventure :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:00 am

I take it we are having a game this evening? I know there was some discussion a fortnight ago that there may be weeks coming up where not everyone was available, but I forget who said it. I'm certainly available anyway.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:05 am

Raid wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:00 am
I take it we are having a game this evening? I know there was some discussion a fortnight ago that there may be weeks coming up where not everyone was available, but I forget who said it. I'm certainly available anyway.
I think it was Pete, but he's already said he's good for tonight so hopefully everyone can make it!

Bird

Post by Bird » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:06 am

I'm ok for the usual 7pm start?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:11 am

Yep, all good for tonight.
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:20 pm
Manacles, eh? :shock:
They're a keepsake from not so great times.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:03 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:05 am
Raid wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:00 am
I think it was Pete, but he's already said he's good for tonight so hopefully everyone can make it!
Yeah, I was meant to be away this weekend from Thursday, but that changed to Friday, and now it's changed to next week as I can't get a shoe on my gouty foot.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:22 pm

Meant to post this earlier. Everything ought to be scaled correctly given the heights everyone specified. I think I got Farley's height wrong the first time I posted one of these, he's actually even smaller than he was before.