D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:07 pm

Sorry guys, realised right at the end that my mic had stopped working at some point, everyone was saying goodbye so didn't have time to refresh Discord :lol:

I wasn't being rude, I promise!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 pm

Great session again, thanks WB as always.

And, can I just say, MVP tonight was Web. Who knew?

Have a feeling that would have been a much nastier encounter if Opus hadn't neutralised the big bad before the fight even started :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:14 pm

The guy didn't have much health at all, I don't think he'd have been a tough fight even by conventional means. I don't think Pete is cruel enough to throw another hard boss at us immediately after a fight with a Mind Flayer.

Dharnon was ready to run 320 feet a round in the event the rest of you TPK'd anyway.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:16 pm

Hard to know with a vamp, he could have had some nasty tricks up his sleeve.

Corvus is super-stoked he got to kill one incidentally, with a cool line to boot :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:21 pm

Lethias hadn’t anticipated a fight, thinking he had the upper hand. Web completely upended that assessment. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:29 pm

Yeah, Web's crazily good at locking enemies down. You can actually even shoot things out of the air with it (something to do with flying creatures needing to have a speed of more than 0 to continue flying, and restrained reduces said speed to 0).

My plan was actually to just take the two elves and run as Opus would react quite badly to the girl losing her parent, it was only afterwards that I realised we could probably still get away with the statue as well. I did get a little worried about Corvus wanting to stay and fight as I don't think we were all ready to take on another big fight.
Last edited by Raid on Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:30 pm

It is a crazy strong spell if you don't have high strength or other magical means of escaping from it.

There are a lot of spells in the lower levels which people sleep on but are actually insanely OP. Heat Metal is another one.

Looking forward to seeing where the next sessions goes after that.

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:36 am

I took that spell anticipating that a fight with the Fairheart gang, ended up cruelly using it on Brunwick to try and help Corvus :lol:

Sorry if I didn't participate much this session, I had a bag of chips and a pie plonked on my desk about half an hour into it...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:58 am

I think heating an opponent's weapon is the least cruel option because they can drop it. Cast it on an enemy wearing plate mail and the maximum amount of damage is kinda moot because they'd be dead long before the 5 minutes the rules say it takes to remove heavy armour (you're doing 2d8 damage every round, so it's 20d8 for the spell's full duration). It's basically an automatic death sentence if the caster isn't interrupted. The only saving throw for it is irrelevant if the item can't be dropped.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:10 am

I gave Breogar a bunch of spells for the encounter in his lair and Heat Metal was among them. If I miscalculated the difficulty and you guys were destroying him I was planning on using it to cook Gronk alive in his armour. Didn't need to use it in the end though.

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:10 am

Sir Barnaby should think twice before he disses Farley again then

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:13 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:10 am
I gave Breogar a bunch of spells for the encounter in his lair and Heat Metal was among them. If I miscalculated the difficulty and you guys were destroying him I was planning on using it to cook Gronk alive in his armour. Didn't need to use it in the end though.
Not least because Gronk was doing a good enough job cooking himself alive :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:14 pm
Dharnon was ready to run 320 feet a round in the event the rest of you TPK'd anyway.
I meant to ask you about that; how do you get to 320ft movement with haste? Opus can move up to 120 feet if he dashes while using Feline Agility, and I guess haste would double that again. If you take dash for both of your actions when hasted, does it double your speed twice? Could Opus in fact run 480 feet in one round by doing this? 30ft normal speed, haste to 60, dash to 120, dash again to 240 and then feline agility to 480?

...and then if Dharnon were to cast Haste on Opus, Opus could use his bonus action to cast Ashardalon's Stride, which brings his base speed up to 50. Haste to 100. Dash to 200. Dash again to 400. Feline Agility to 800. That's 90mph. Beat that, Egbert.

Incidentally that's marginally faster than 88mph, and Ashardalon's Stride leaves a trail of fire behind. I just need to find an artificer to make me a flux capacitor and I'm pretty sure Opus can time travel.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:03 pm

Maybe I am wrong on that one actually now I think about it. With Bladesong my base movement is 40ft. Haste doubles your movement speed, so 80 total for standard movement. Haste also gives you a secondary action on your turn which can be used for a number of things, dash being one of them.

So with 80 feet of movement, a single dash gets you 160 feet. But at that point I guess you've used all your movement up, so you can't really use your second action to dash again. I was mistakenly thinking that you could use dash twice in a single round.

I could run 160 feet away and then cast a very long range spell in the same round though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:08 pm

No, I think you're right. The dash action doubles your speed, so even if you move your standard 30 feet before taking the dash action, you can still move an additional 30 feet because your speed is now 60.
When you take the Dash action, you gain extra movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed, after applying any modifiers. With a speed of 30 feet, for example, you can move up to 60 feet on your turn if you dash.