D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Post by Mantis » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:14 pm

For the third party companies I think it's too late for WotC. They've shown that they can't be trusted (as they have done in the past, albeit on a significantly bigger scale this time) and no sensible business is going to continue to base their model on relying on whatever horrid terms this new OGL will have. It's far safer for these businesses to move over to ORC and support Paizo.

I'm sure plenty of players will forgive them and stick with DnD after all this. But when it comes to those that derive their income from it, I think they'd be mad to stay.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:02 pm

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:09 am

If Hasbro don’t fire Chris Cao for his insanely arrogant misjudgment of the game, the industry and the community (having admitted he doesn’t know a damn thing about any of them), I don’t know where they go from here.

Also important to note that after WotC refuted several of the claims made by dndshorts in a previous video, this one has apparently been verified to the nines and given lawyer approval.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:15 pm

Everyone good for 7pm tomorrow?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:29 pm

I am.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:30 pm

All good here.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:44 pm

Yarp

Bird

Post by Bird » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:09 pm

I'm down, but would it be ok to start a smidge later like 7:30?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:42 pm

Yep, 7.30 it is.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:23 pm

I'm curious what level 2 spell you're so excited about, Chris. There wasn't really much on the list that fits Dharnon thematically aside from one or two very obvious and necessary first choices.

That was a hair raising fight. When that first Thunderwave went off I genuinely thought we were heading for a TPK.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:30 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:23 pm
I'm curious what level 2 spell you're so excited about, Chris. There wasn't really much on the list that fits Dharnon thematically aside from one or two very obvious and necessary first choices.

That was a hair raising fight. When that first Thunderwave went off I genuinely thought we were heading for a TPK.
It was around the time the second one went off that I thought I'd be rolling a new character :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 pm

Farley once again MVP I think with a couple of heals, getting Opus back on his feet to burn off most of the wolf's health, and Corvus would have been floored were it not for the heal he received too.

As for the level 2 spells; there's one that sorta feels like an obvious choice for combat, and one that's potentially quite useful but far more situational. When I said I'd chosen them 3 months ago I was more meaning that I'd been bored at the time and had made a list of my spell choices for the first few character levels rather than being particularly excited for said choices. Every time I levelled as Charr in the middle of a session I basically picked the first thing that sounded fun and occasionally regretted it after, so I mostly wanted to avoid that happening.

Edit: Although saying one was an obvious choice, I instead decided on something else. :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:43 pm

I'm going all in on the early levels with survival utility ones with the aim that it's basically impossible to hit me in combat. Dharnon needs it with his whopping 16HP as a frontline fighter.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:53 pm

That's 16hp before the level-up, right? Opus has a surely Barbarian-rivalling (he certainly doesn't suffer from self-esteem issues) 23 now.

I do have to be a bit careful using my reaction given both Silvery Barbs and Shield use it. I think I saved Dharnon from taking a hit at the expense of Opus taking one instead (though at the time I thought I was safely out of range of any enemies). My idea was to scamper around the battlefield using Feline Agility (which doubles my movement speed, and I can use it again if I don't move on a subsequent turn), staying away from enemies to make up for my woeful AC.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:05 pm

Oh yeah, up to a whopping 23hp now. It isn't too bad for Dharnon though because with Bladesong he has a base AC of 18, and that's before I start throwing in spells to give me further boosts like shield or imposing disadvantage on attacks. It should go up further as he levels too. It's an interesting idea, being the group tank with caster HP levels.