D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Exciting adventures IRL.
Bird

Re: D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Post by Bird » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:10 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:42 pm
Any confirmation from Bird as to whether he's available tonight, Mantis?
I have covid so Farley might be a little less his rambunctious self but I'll be there!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:45 pm

I know we're likely a ways off from wanting a break from the current campaign, but I've finished the maps and general encounters for my next mini one. This one is intended as an actual short campaign rather than 30 3 hour sessions, so shouldn't take more than 7-9 evenings if Pete did fancy a short break from DMing.

If you guys were up for it at some point next year the only thing worth deciding in advance is whether you'd want to continue with your previous characters from Lady Fortune or rolling new ones. It's a pretty direct continuation of the last campaign anyway, the only difference being whether you want to play at level 13 and continue to develop your previous stories, or roll new level 3 characters who would be relatively throwaway pirate members of Hex's crew. I'd be fine with either, it would just require me to design the encounters differently to account for the level difference.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:54 pm

Think I said at the end of that campaign I was quite happy to send Gronk into the sunset, so think I'd favour a new character for subsequent adventuring :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:11 am

Yeah, I’m fine with a new character.

I’m happy to keep going with our current campaign until maybe we reach a natural interlude point, or if anyone else just wants a break from it. If it looks like you’re veering towards somewhere that I don’t have anything fleshed out for, that also might be a good point for me to step back and do a few weeks of prep.

EDIT - Inevitably I've started thinking about new characters already. :lol: I'm happy to play any class, but I've got an idea for a barbarian. Not a dealbreaker if anyone else is desperate for that barbarian life, though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:57 am

I think I'd said a while back that I quite enjoyed Arctiss for RPing with, but by the end of the campaign he was a bit underwhelming mechanically. I wouldn't mind playing him again, but I think I'd have to make adjustments to his character sheet to make sure he was still fun.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:42 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:11 am
Yeah, I’m fine with a new character.

I’m happy to keep going with our current campaign until maybe we reach a natural interlude point, or if anyone else just wants a break from it. If it looks like you’re veering towards somewhere that I don’t have anything fleshed out for, that also might be a good point for me to step back and do a few weeks of prep.

EDIT - Inevitably I've started thinking about new characters already. :lol: I'm happy to play any class, but I've got an idea for a barbarian. Not a dealbreaker if anyone else is desperate for that barbarian life, though.
I was thinking I'd go for a class I've never really played in D&D, possibly a bard?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:04 am

I discussed it with Bird a while ago and he's already made a ranger hunter I believe. Though he didn't mind continuing with Murrik either.

Looks like the consensus would be new characters though. It'll certainly make my life easier as DM, not having to account for silly higher level spells breaking things too easily.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:54 am

Korvak with a Wish spell would be a spectacularly dangerous idea. :)

With great power comes great opportunities to tear the face off the multiverse to see what's going on...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:02 am

Mantis, what level do you foresee people reaching in the campaign? It could affect which class I choose, as some are more of a slow-burn compared to others, and others are more front-loaded at lower levels...

Might potentially go druid as well, another class I've never played

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:12 am

I was eyeing a druid too, but I want to give Sly the pick of the casters as I know you expressed an interest in one when we were planning for Wrath's current campaign.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:36 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:02 am
Mantis, what level do you foresee people reaching in the campaign? It could affect which class I choose, as some are more of a slow-burn compared to others, and others are more front-loaded at lower levels...

Might potentially go druid as well, another class I've never played
I like to up the challenge quite quickly on these shorter campaigns so tend to grant milestone levels quite a bit faster than your more long haul game. That said, I can't see us going much higher than level 7 or 8 for this one.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:17 pm

I think I want to play a real bastard for my next character. Arctiss was on the morally-dubious end of good, Opus is naïve but very much pure of heart, I want to play the crab-head-exploding, sword-enema-administering, soul-coin-trading arsehole this time around.

I'm now thinking Cleric.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:25 pm

Could stand to be quite an entertaining campaign then if you do play an absolute arse ship's medic. Bird's character is a Grung, a creature which naturally secretes toxins which poison people, and he made him the ships cook. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:42 pm

I'd completely missed the bit about the setup being we're a ship's crew. Yes, ship's medic could probably work, withholding the spell-based healing because "you're not worth the spell slot", or something. I'm sure I could work some fire and brimstone religion into that too.

If I do go with a religious character, would you be ok with me basically designing a religion too? I'll try very hard not to turn it into everything I personally dislike about organised religion in real life. :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:49 pm

Sure. I'll give you the details on the main religions in the world and how other smaller ones are actively suppressed closer to the time and then you can weave it in somehow that way. The world building is set up so the main religion is effectively a militaristic following for a main Trinity of gods called the Triumvirate, but I left plenty of room for custom elements and minor religions to slot in.