D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: D&D Campaign 2: D&D Harder

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:27 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am
Something I forgot to bring up last night and one thing I sorta did but didn't elaborate on. Are we sticking with the same rules regarding spell components that we did in the other two campaigns? What about spell focuses, as they're used to remove the component cost (unless a component has a specified monetary value)? Charr had a focus in one hand for the entire campaign, and I didn't actually learn what they did until this morning. :lol: I thought they were what you needed to cast the spell through, sort of like a weapon that the spell emerges from.
Yeah, wizards can either use a spell focus or a component pouch (which is assumed to contain all components without an associated cost) as the basis for spellcasting. I don't think there's any mechanical difference so it's case of preference. As Korvak I adhered to material costs for spells, and I think that can be fun if for instance you need to obtain a ruby or something to cast a spell, as it could lead to a mini-adventure. If you'd rather simplify it a bit though, let me know.
Raid wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am
Ignoring the RP stuff, mechanically, can you copy spells out of another wizard's spellbook if you have the time and the gold cost to do so? I think Korvak did this in the last campaign but I just wanted to be sure. It doesn't remove the spell from the original source does it? I re-read the Colour of Magic recently, and spells in Discworld are entities rather than just words on a page, and I just wanted to make sure it's not the case in D&D.
Yep, copying spells from another spellbook is much like copying from a scroll, and the spell is then in both spellbooks. I think I agreed with Dave that I could use either spellbook, but the spells I prepared for the day had to be from a single book.

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:21 am

I'm going to adhere to requiring a focus for certain stuff in this campaign, for college of spirits stuff I will need to find a suitable focus like a skull or something which could be a fun story point. Thinking along the lines of Hamlet. For Bard spells I think they are cast using spoken words or music so normal rules don't really apply?

I always thought that the individual component costs were to do with preparing the spell during your rest rather than actually casting it? Surely it's how the spell is cast that matters most in the moment.

Looking forward to getting started again, I've got a DnD shaped hole in my life at the moment.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:31 am

Bird wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:21 am
Looking forward to getting started again, I've got a DnD shaped hole in my life at the moment.
Same!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:42 am

Copying a spell from a scroll or another spellbook into your own costs something like 50 gold per level and an hour per level of the spell in question. I did look that rule up during the last campaign as Korvak briefly had a copy of the Archmage's spellbook but I don't think he ever spent the time to actually do it.

I'm all for possible permadeath. It takes something away if you know the challenge is never going to be insurmountable, as standard parts of the world setting along with every npc, we shouldn't be immortal.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:47 am

Bird wrote:
I'm going to adhere to requiring a focus for certain stuff in this campaign, for college of spirits stuff I will need to find a suitable focus like a skull or something which could be a fun story point. Thinking along the lines of Hamlet.
If you use a skull as a focus, Opus *will* at some point animate it. I think it's only fair to warn you.

I'm happy sticking to rules as written for spell costs and focus use, it's just not something I paid attention to while playing Charr and I wanted to make sure I understood it correctly. I did actually go back and look through his spell list and there's nothing that would have required a non-standard component, so I guess it's just for world-altering stuff rather than the standard combat spells.
Same.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:50 am

Bird wrote:
For Bard spells I think they are cast using spoken words or music so normal rules don't really apply?
It depends on the spell. Each spell will have one or more of V, S and M listed against them, referring to whether the spell involves Vocal components, Somatic components (i.e. hand waving, etc) or Material components. A bard typically uses their instrument as a spell focus, which removes the need for Material components that don't have a cost associated with them. If there is a cost, it's listed in the spell description.

In terms of RP, I assume that bards are always doing something musical when spellcasting though. ;)
Bird wrote:
I always thought that the individual component costs were to do with preparing the spell during your rest rather than actually casting it? Surely it's how the spell is cast that matters most in the moment.
No, if there are materials consumed by the spell then that only happens when the spell is actually cast. Otherwise a cleric would need a diamond for every day they prepare Raise Dead.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 am

Bird wrote:
The components are used as part of the actual casting process if you don't have a focus. Some spells actually use up the component entirely so you have to replace them, though that's generally only for higher level stuff and resurrection magic. For the most part the component isn't used up, but yes you do still have to roll bat dung between your palms to cast a fireball.

I quite like the component gathering aspect of being a wizard so I'll probably stick mostly with that. Though for combat I'll likely rely on a focus a bit more because it makes more sense Dharnon would opt for the easier casting method whilst he hits things with swords.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:00 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 am
yes you do still have to roll bat dung between your palms to cast a fireball.
When you consider how many fireballs Korvak fired off and how few hand-washing opportunities there were, it's easy to see why his charisma checks were so disastrous. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:05 am

My understanding is that Bladesong requires you to not be using an off-hand weapon or shield, so I guess you'd always have a focus in the hand not holding a weapon anyway.

And yeah, I can see the RP opportunities for component gathering, but for expediency's sake I suspect I'll end up with a focus instead. I'm just imagining Corvus looking terribly bored while the three spell casters scrabble around in the bushes looking for bits of mandrake root.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 am

It's more for the rarer materials that are either used up or have a separate gold value requirement that I think you have to obtain elsewhere. Every other component is typically considered to be a part of the component pouch which most spell caster classes can start with and are typically easy enough to buy if not. So thankfully we won't be having to go scrape bat dung off walls of caves or anything like that.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:17 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:00 am
Mantis wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 am
yes you do still have to roll bat dung between your palms to cast a fireball.
When you consider how many fireballs Korvak fired off and how few hand-washing opportunities there were, it's easy to see why his charisma checks were so disastrous. :lol:
:lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:41 am

I think I've got the hang of how to properly handle dynamic lighting in Roll20 now, with darkvision applied to Dharnon and Opus. The question is how to handle Farley and Corvus in unlit areas. By default, would you use torches or magic, or perhaps some other means? I'm thinking rather than just having a black screen every time you enter a cave until you tell me what you're doing, it would make more sense to apply some default mode of lighting for dark areas and then tailor for specific circumstances if required.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:51 pm

I think as Corvus' magical abilities are fuelled by self-harm, rather than cut himself every time he goes in a cave he'll probably light a torch :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:27 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, so thought I'd just put it here as this thread is probably mostly on campaign hiatus until the new year.

Basically, I just watched the new Oxventure one-shot with several guests new to the channel, including a guy whose presentation style I really like, but don't watch a huge amount as his main genre on YT is MMORPGs, that I don't have a lot of interest in. In the one-shot he was very good, and mentioned he DMs a YT campaign of his own.

So, I checked out their first episode... and not laughed as long or as hard as that for a while. It's basically the 'are we the baddies' tabletop D&D trope condensed into half an hour of unadulterated mayhem of bad rolls and terrible decisions, that can be best summed up in the direct quote: "moonshine napalm". You know if your DM, who is 100% leaning into the chaos, asks you - TWICE - "are you sure?" and you still reply "yes"... interesting things will occur.

There's a fair amount of preamble before and after, but if I've done it right I've time-stamped it at the point they actually start on the adventure, enjoy:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:14 am

Listening to it now. Things certainly escalate quickly. :lol:

EDIT - This has swayed me against a ruling I made in my Monday game this week. There was a close-quarters fight in a bedroom where a druid player summoned their wildfire spirit on the bed, and someone questioned whether it would set the bed on fire. After a bit of rule-checking and googling, I concluded that technically it wouldn't, even though it would have been pretty damn funny in the moment given how small the room was and how many people were in there, and it would have been entirely plausible given it's a spirit made of raging flame. I went with the rules as written.

Lesson learned. When in doubt, go with fire.