Long Live the King?

Exciting adventures IRL.
Snowy
Local

Re: Long Live the King?

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:45 am

With the grip the tabloid press has on the country, I can't help but feel that anyone who suggested any reforms would be committing political suicide.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:57 am

Oh yeah it would have to be in the future at some point, not suggesting people go out now and talk about it. :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:05 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:41 am
It's never nice when a family member dies so I feel for her family but the fact that the country is now going to come to a standstill for 10 days and we are going to spend millions on a funeral and then a coronation is absurd even more so at a time when their is a cost of living crisis with people facing up to whether they can afford to heat their homes or buy food. You would hope that the Queen's death would make people take a look at the system we currently have in place and think about some reforms but I doubt it.
Agreed on all counts.

The real kick in the teeth for me is the sycophancy I'm seeing on places like Reddit, regular people posting about how much they loved this extremely wealthy, extremely privileged woman, when she at least partially represents everything wrong with this country. Given the situation we're in right now financially, it just feels weird to be praising someone that was so keen on hoarding wealth and being paid vast sums of money out of our pockets.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:27 am

It’s the competitive mourning (primarily from politicians) that gets me. It’s not enough to pay respects - there has to be a song and dance about the whole thing. Wouldn’t surprise me if a whole bunch of public figures are currently practicing a tearful facade ready to deploy as soon as the cameras hit them.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:36 am

I never really bought the whole "she sacrificed so much to do her duty" line either. It really isn't that much of a sacrifice when you spend your entire life living in palaces and being waited on by an entire cadre of servants. NHS workers sacrifice more than the Queen ever did. She lived a life of splendor that only the tiniest fraction of people will ever get to experience.

The groveling, indentured loyalty that everyone expresses for the whole system is everything I hate about the British psyche. As sad as it is when a nice little old lady dies, now is the time people should be thinking about ripping down the entire system.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:46 am

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:57 am

Just a few things that have come out of the large Discord community I'm a member of:
-People being told to work from home as their office is closed to all but non-essential staff - basically 'the company wants to make it look like we're being respectful, but we want all of our employees to continue slaving away in private.'
-A student union gig being cancelled because the student union is going to be used as a "safe space for mourning."
-That same university e-mailing students to say "Work and study should continue as normal. Extra-curricular events and activities however should be considered carefully, taking account of the fact that the UK is now in a formal period of mourning" - young people are not being allowed to enjoy themselves because an old rich woman has died.

I'm just waiting for the politicians who suggest the public should all be wearing a black armband or some other such bullshit.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:01 am

All the Premier League and Football League games are off this weekend, really no need and just feels very performative. Everyone should still go to work but you can't do any of the things you like.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:46 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:46 am
This shite says it all really:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/09/cloud-sh ... -17332925/
Amazing.

Also, holy shit, Snowy, that's awful! Did you at least get the gal in the end of this heroic tale of injustice?!

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:18 pm

He got the best story on the forum, thats better than getting the gal.

Unless the gal is still currently his gal in which case that is better. Just.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:52 pm

Got together once or twice but didn’t amount to anything :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:08 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:52 pm
Got together once or twice but didn’t amount to anything :)
First, I applaud you sincerely for the efforts to stop or disrupt the hunts. Abhorrent in every sense. Second, that's one hell of a story to tell! It could only be better if you'd gotten a scar on your cheek, ha ha 8-)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:58 am

The funniest thing I've seen so far personally has been someone who hastily put their jubilee flag back up... except that it's clearly a cheap flagpole with no raising or lowering mechanism, so they've tied an extra pole onto the end to make it look like the flag is at half mast.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:09 am

Maybe if she ate those beans she wouldn’t have had to spend 70 years on the throne before passing.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:17 am

The best comment I saw on that thread was "Queenz meanz Heinz".