Long Live the King?

Exciting adventures IRL.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Long Live the King?

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:59 am

Think of your school days, first kiss, first job, first house & day you got married...The Queen was there for all of them - JEREMY CLARKSON.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Was she? I don't recall seeing her.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:57 pm

She was hiding in the back, wearing one of her trademark camouflage hats. You couldn't see her because she was stood against a pastel-coloured wall.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:19 pm

I just assumed all the country's CCTV cameras were wired up to Buck House, and Liz sat in the middle of them all, watching always, like Lucius Fox in Nolan's Batman films.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:48 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62883713

On the one hand, protesting the monarchy immediately after the queen’s death is perhaps bad taste. On the other hand, arresting lone peaceful protesters because you don’t like what they’re saying is fascism, plain and simple. That should be a hyperbolic term but I can’t think of a more appropriate word to use. We are witnessing fascism from the state.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:38 am

I think the people protesting the monarchy while standing in the crowd watching the coffin of Elizabeth II drive past is perhaps in bad taste, I don't think there's really a better time to be protesting. The money the country is going to spend burying one monarch and then installing their replacement has to be seen for what a waste it is at a time when the country is in financial freefall. I've absolutely no doubt that the government is going to insist on making Charles' coronation as lavish as possible to distract the public while they get away with murder. It's pure bread and circus material.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 am

It's not even the exuberance of the ceremony that's going to have the biggest financial hit. My brother-in-law in the police has been sent down from Yorkshire to London (along with tonnes of police from around the country) to cope with the masses of people turning up and the extra required security. He's being put up in a 4-star hotel, £30 allowance for each meal and £80 extra pay each day. Perhaps naively, I'd hoped that the mammoth cost of this would be covered by the Crown estate, but no, it's being stumped up by the government, which ultimately means we're paying for it.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's increased crime around the country in the next couple of weeks given that the already barebones police forces are now running on fumes.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:21 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:50 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 am
It's not even the exuberance of the ceremony that's going to have the biggest financial hit. My brother-in-law in the police has been sent down from Yorkshire to London (along with tonnes of police from around the country) to cope with the masses of people turning up and the extra required security.
Slightly off subject. He's the chap that fell onto the train tracks, broke his leg (badly) and was left waiting for ages on an ambulance isn't he? Good to hear he recovered.

A low-key "registry office" coronation would be more appropriate at this stage. They're probably going to have to do all this again in maybe 10 - 15 years anyway?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:56 am

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:50 am
Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:53 am
It's not even the exuberance of the ceremony that's going to have the biggest financial hit. My brother-in-law in the police has been sent down from Yorkshire to London (along with tonnes of police from around the country) to cope with the masses of people turning up and the extra required security.
Slightly off subject. He's the chap that fell onto the train tracks, broke his leg (badly) and was left waiting for ages on an ambulance isn't he? Good to hear he recovered.
He is, cheers mate. :) He went back on full duty about a month ago after receiving excellent medical treatment and physio, which is incredible considering they initially weren't sure he'd ever walk on the leg again.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:58 pm

I mentioned this to Ian on Discord, but figured I'd post it as it's the single most idiotic thing I've seen come of this event.

It's appropriate because the Queen fucking loved seeing people getting STDs.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:41 pm

The pandering from corporations and businesses is getting a bit over the top. They're too afraid of any public backlash so some of them are going a bit overkill.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:56 pm

My wife blimmin' LOVES the royals... went to Buck House to mourn when Diana died, nary a wedding or funeral goes by when she's not glued to the screen. Today she said to me, re the news coverage: "It's all a bit much, isn't it?"

This proved to me the country has gone actually barmy.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:22 am

The queues filing past the coffin are expected to reach 30 hours long. Not 30 hours of being camped out either, as it'll be constantly shuffling forwards. I'm racking my brains for anything - literally anything - that I'd be prepared to queue 30 hours for.

And before anyone implies a potential ribald answer, consider that there would be a 30 hour queue in front of you. [-X

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:49 am

The corporate stuff is getting out of control. Centre Parcs were going to kick people out of their parks on Monday until a public backlash caused them to backtrack. British Cycling said people shouldn't cycle during the funeral and today Heathrow airport said there would be delays to plans during the minutes silence so that their was silence in the skies. :roll: