Long Live the King?

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Long Live the King?

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:54 pm

I figure this is probably going to need its own thread as it's going to generate a lot of discussion.

Queen Elizabeth has died. We now have King Charles.

I've made my feelings fairly clear on the matter in the Celebs Dropping Off thread. It's sad to see a woman who has spent her entire life in the public eye die, but I don't respect the monarchy as an institution, and I'm going to find a lot of the pomp and ceremony over the next few weeks insufferable.

So, the immediate question: When do the lyrics for our national anthem change? Do we give God a period of leeway to save the Queen, or is that now done?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Long Live the King?

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Will repeat my post here as it sums up my immediate thoughts:

I'm no royalist by any means, but I am quite struck at seeing the proper end of an era. She was already two years on the throne before my parents were even born. Her first PM was Churchill!

Incredible innings really.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:57 pm

Also, the Elizabethan era has ended, what on earth do we call it now? Charlesian? Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:00 pm

I've no strong feelings on the monarchy and for the most part I had a decent amount of respect for the Queen, diminished a bit by the way she sat by and did nothing regarding Prince Andrew buying his way out of his problems. But Charles I have little but disdain for, not least due to Snowy's first-hand account of him which I remember vividly. His dodgy dealings with Saudi princes, his attempts at meddling in politics and his barefaced cheek in using public money to fund Prince Andrew are all abhorrent.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm

My Dad was a very stout believer in the monarchy and I recall him making a huge fuss about the Jubilee when I was very young, our house suddenly filled with cups plates and all forms of memorabilia from it all. Myself, not so much. I know he saw her as a great woman, which she most certainly was, that era has now closed and what comes next is going to lead to some very interesting days ahead.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:40 pm

I’m fairly anti Royal but I also can’t really think of a bad word to say about the woman. She seemed lovely and quite funny in her own ye olde kind of way. I’ve quite enjoyed her unscripted appearances thought the years.

That said, it would be a perfect time to stick a pin in the whole monarchy thing and let it go out on a high note. Charlie’s not going to be better so let’s just call it quits and air B&B the palaces.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:50 pm

RIP QE2. :(

She was pretty much flawless in her reign and was a great neutral presence to countless events. She was part of the UK, and world history. I'm feeling a bit emotional about it.

I've never been one for getting too opinionated about the Royal Family - I think there are definite benefits to the UK but there are obviously issues - something which William has spoken about at times. Dare I say, this might be the right time for Charles to immediately pass the crown to William in this modern age we live in. I think his ideas about streamlining the Royal Family would be better-received.

Either way, it will never be the same again. And I don't think the Royal Family will ever get the same approval ratings ever again. It's a new era now.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Yep, I was fond of the Queen Mum, fairly ambivalent about Elizabeth, but recognise that she served her position with the utmost dedication and devotion. The kids...well, Anne maybe, but the others I can take or leave them. I admire Charles for his farming and ecological endeavours, but he was in a privileged position to follow that stuff anyway. As for his "connections" well...time to demolish the monarchy, along with the tory party. Revolution, get people living again, greed will remove humanity from the planet.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:20 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:00 pm
But Charles I have little but disdain for, not least due to Snowy's first-hand account of him which I remember vividly.
I'm intrigued...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:34 pm

I'll let Snowy tell the story, but it's gotten a bit more significant this evening...

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:41 pm

I've much respect for the Queen as a person.
For the monarchy as an institution none whatsoever. It's too easy to imagine what the money freed up if it was abolished could do for the NHS and other public services starved for cash.
Last edited by Hatredsheart on Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:06 pm

The memes are coming in thick and fast....

eny

Post by eny » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:29 pm

Jesus christ the fucking people and their fucking phones....fucking zombies. =;
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:08 am

I am sorry that the Queen has died. Whatever people's views on the monarchy, she gave up the life that I am sure she would have chosen and lived her entire life in duty to the United Kingdom. That combined with the way she has always conducted herself gets my respect.

My story as referenced above is from when I was late teens/early twenties (it was a while ago ;)). I was involved with the local hunt saboteurs group, getting up at stupid times at the weekends in order to try to prevent several of the local hunts from having any success. We did quite a few types of hunt sabbing, mostly fox hunts though, with our regular target being the Surrey Union hunt which Prince Charles used to ride with a lot. I was (and am) passionate about animal rights and hunting with packs of dogs is particularly abhorrent, but in the spirit of openness I was also trying to get together with a young lass I was sweet on by going sabbing. Anyhow, I digress.

On one particular hunt, we were milling around by a gate that the hunt needed to pass through, so were spraying citronella (used to knacker the hounds sense of smell for a few minutes) and generally getting in the way to slow them all down and spread them out. Charlie was riding with the hunt that day, so there were a lot of police - all with their shoulder numbers removed as was usual at hunts. As I am stood there, Charlie rides up to me and cracks me across the face with his riding crop, telling me to get out of his way. I got as far as calling him a Edwin before I get swarmed with coppers, arrested and stuck in the back of a meatwagon. I was absolutely incensed that I got arrested for being assaulted, but as was usual back then they just arrested you until the hunt finished before de-arresting you and sending you on your way, so nothing actually came of it.

So there you go, I have been assaulted by the King of England and called him a Edwin to his face. A significantly better story now he is the monarch :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:41 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:00 pm
I've no strong feelings on the monarchy and for the most part I had a decent amount of respect for the Queen, diminished a bit by the way she sat by and did nothing regarding Prince Andrew buying his way out of his problems. But Charles I have little but disdain for, not least due to Snowy's first-hand account of him which I remember vividly. His dodgy dealings with Saudi princes, his attempts at meddling in politics and his barefaced cheek in using public money to fund Prince Andrew are all abhorrent.
I think the only real difference between the two is the Queen has been better at hiding all the stuff she has done, or at least her staff have done a better job at hiding it. The papers that came out earlier this year in the Guardian show she pushed as much as Charles did to get exemptions from laws for her estate and to try and exert influence over politicians. Because she has been on the throne so long people only remember the quiet queen of the last 20-30 years, they don't know about the Queen who was going round the Empire telling countries they shouldn't get independence earlier in her reign.

It's never nice when a family member dies so I feel for her family but the fact that the country is now going to come to a standstill for 10 days and we are going to spend millions on a funeral and then a coronation is absurd even more so at a time when their is a cost of living crisis with people facing up to whether they can afford to heat their homes or buy food. You would hope that the Queen's death would make people take a look at the system we currently have in place and think about some reforms but I doubt it.