Welcome To The New Pub (Plus New Features)

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Welcome To The New Pub (Plus New Features)

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Hey everyone!

Welcome to the new board for the community. Thanks for all of your input in the poll threads on PW, it's because of the general consensus among us that this place is here and what the community wants is always going to play a part in shaping anything that we add to the forum in the future too.

With regards to future plans, I'll share my ideas for a new main page with you once they are further along in development (priority has been setting the forum up, so main page development is currently nil). Beyond that it is business as usual for the forum. Stay active peeps, let's keep the community alive.

Now for the exciting bit. With the latest forum software running I've been able to add a few bits and bobs that were otherwise unavailable on Preys-World. So without further ado, check out our new feature list:
  • Direct Link Embedding - Makes life much easier and is a lot more expansive than what we could previously do. Rather than have to copy ID tags out of URLs and put them into BB code you can now just post the full link to whatever video/image you're trying to embed into your post. This supports Youtube, Twitch (livestreams and VoDs), Twitter (tweets), GFYcat, Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Spotify, Steam store links, Gamespot and IGN videos, Kickstarter projects and Reddit threads. In each case it is simply a matter of posting the link, see these examples:
    Spoiler
    This will play whatever is currently on the livestream for Cohhcarnage (will show as offline if he isn't streaming)

Whereas this is a stream recording of our very own Lee playing Elite Dangerous from the other week

Here's a Youtube link

Twitter

Gfycat

Bandcamp Album Page

Soundcloud

Steam

Spotify song links

Gamespot videos

IGN Videos

Kickstarter

Reddit threads
  • Mobile Friendly Viewing - The forum themes will now directly scale based on the size of the screen you're viewing it on. Generally it will move the user profile info to a small bar above their posts if you're on a phone. You'll see if you browse when you're out and about, but it's just generally much easier to read and navigate.
  • News Feed - Located in the General Gaming & News folder, the News Feed subfolder will pull reviews from Gamespot for the latest titles and post them in a nice neat little format complete with pictures. Keep an eye on that if you want updates on what's coming out. I can also add other feeds to it from other sites if people want information from other sources. Consider this a beta run for it as it's still to be refined. It's also going to be the foundation for what I intend to do with the main page once that is in development.
Other than that, I'll be sorting out the logo and themes shortly so that people have some nice choices. I'm going to be adding similar colour schemes to what was available in the past plus a dark 'night time' theme for those that requested it. Bear with me on those.

And finally, it's renewal time for the server coming up so I'll be making a donations thread very shortly for those of you who are still happy to contribute.

Thanks very much guys, PW was almost 15 years old but its spirit will always live on in this community. Let's see how much further we get!

Hatredsheart

Re: Welcome To The New Pub (Plus New Features)

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 am

Looking good Mantis mate. Appreciate all your work giving the old girl a new lease of life. Still loving being the forum fossil 8-)
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

eny

Post by eny » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 am

Great job Mantis, all your work is very much appreciated. =D>
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am

Looking good Mantis! Cheers for sorting this!

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am

Nicely done.
:)
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am

Hooray! I like the forum's pine-fresh new car smell.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:21 am

Well done, Mantis! Very glad to be here.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 am

Awesome work Mantis. Thank you.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am

I'm surprised how quickly you managed to get it all together. Nice work.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks Mantis, this is great. Especially being able to browse it on mobile! \:D/

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Not to keep piling on the requests and/or suggestions or anything, but is there anyway to implement liking posts or some kind of reputation system?

Not that I'd want to 'social media' up the place, but who doesn't love dishing out sweet thumbs up to a particularly helpful post or even doling out a dreaded thumbs down to those Far Cry 2 hating heathens.

Perhaps with an accumulated score under our profile/post count or something.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm

I don't mind thumbs up or likes. But I find thumbs down/dislikes too negative on internet forums.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:07 pm

I was actually thinking of suggesting something like that myself but wasn't sure if people would go for it. Again it's used on the footy forum I post on and I like it, but agree with Kat/Maturin that it would be best for positive likes only.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Gotta say, I personally would prefer to keep any Reddit-like crap off here. Any kind of "like" or score system would be too trendy for me. ¬_¬

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Yeah, I don't think we need a thumbs up/likes system here. NONE OF THAT.