Tabletop Games

Exciting adventures IRL.
User avatar
Mantis
Landlord
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: The Grid

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 am

I think that we just didn't have enough people to maintain it. Four or five is a good number but in the end I think it was just going to be the two of us plus Wrath DMing.

User avatar
Gibby
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 am

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Gibby » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 am

Happy to be a third player!

User avatar
Sly Boots
Bar Staff
Posts: 2088
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:09 am

Mantis wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 am
I think that we just didn't have enough people to maintain it. Four or five is a good number but in the end I think it was just going to be the two of us plus Wrath DMing.
Yeah, it came down to that really. There's only so far a half-elf thief and perma-drunk dwarf can drag around a comatose orc paladin and unconscious wizard like a D&D homage to Weekend At Bernies before things became problematic :lol:

User avatar
Maturin
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am
Location: Kernow

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Maturin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am

There's also the question of time. In theory that would be right up my alley, but I tend to prefer snatching lots of little moments to take part in things, as opposed to blocks of continuous hours at a time. And with a game running on roll20, it's not quite the same if you're not all on together.

User avatar
Mantis
Landlord
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: The Grid

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 am

I think generally the forum board games that Doug has run over the last year or so have been more successful than our attempt at DnD. As much as I'd enjoy getting a new campaign going, maybe something slightly smaller form would be more likely to succeed?

User avatar
Stormbringer
Rad Dad
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am

I have been thinking about running an Advanced Hero Quest session, if you want to give it a go?
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

User avatar
Maturin
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am
Location: Kernow

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Maturin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am
I have been thinking about running an Advanced Hero Quest session, if you want to give it a go?
That sounds like a really good idea, but AHQ is a much more indepth, freeform game with floor tile-based combat (compared to the Dark Castle game). I'm wondering how you would visualise it on the forum.

User avatar
Stormbringer
Rad Dad
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 am

Maturin wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 am
That sounds like a really good idea, but AHQ is a much more indepth, freeform game with floor tile-based combat (compared to the Dark Castle game). I'm wondering how you would visualise it on the forum.

Same way I did with WHQ in 2016. I think you were absent then?
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

User avatar
Maturin
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am
Location: Kernow

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Maturin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:41 am

Yeah I was off the forum for a bit when you were doing that one.

User avatar
Mantis
Landlord
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 pm
Location: The Grid

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

That WHQ game we played was great fun, even if I seem to recall it didn't end so well for us. I think I played the stupidly powerful cyclops/ogre and was just throwing enemies all over the place.

User avatar
Stormbringer
Rad Dad
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 am

Yes, you were an ogre. We were stretching the rules into overly experimental territory, to be honest.
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

User avatar
Wrathbone
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 am

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm

RE the D&D revival, nice to see there's some interest! I'll have a think about what to do in terms of a new campaign and then see if we have a proper roster. Would be good to do it weekly if possible.

Incidentally, since we last played there's been an official site launched for online character creation and it's now pretty decent:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/

For free you can create characters using the basic rules, but it does it via a wizard (not an actual wizard, mind ¬_¬) so you don't have to understand what any of the rules mean. It then automatically updates all the complex stuff when you level up, etc. Much easier for beginners to get to grips with it.

User avatar
Sly Boots
Bar Staff
Posts: 2088
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm
RE the D&D revival, nice to see there's some interest! I'll have a think about what to do in terms of a new campaign and then see if we have a proper roster. Would be good to do it weekly if possible.

Incidentally, since we last played there's been an official site launched for online character creation and it's now pretty decent:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/

For free you can create characters using the basic rules, but it does it via a wizard (not an actual wizard, mind ¬_¬) so you don't have to understand what any of the rules mean. It then automatically updates all the complex stuff when you level up, etc. Much easier for beginners to get to grips with it.
I'd still love for us to give it a go again.

I do think there's a place on the forum for both this and Doug's board/tabletop games, which I also enjoy taking part in.

User avatar
Stormbringer
Rad Dad
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:47 pm

I will probably start a separate AHQ thread tomorrow.
I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

User avatar
Gibby
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 am

Re: Tabletop Games

Post by Gibby » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Excellent! All is right with the world!

Post Reply