The Food Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

The Food Thread

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:00 pm

It's just occurred to me that we've never really had any threads like this on the forum, and I'm quite into preparing my own grub from scratch where possible. Yes, I know with a topic like this we run the risk of effectively turning the forum into some sort of gamer's mumsnet where we exchange recipes, but I don't really see a problem with that to be honest, so sod it.

So come on, who eats to live and who lives to eat?

I've just made a nice turkey mince homebrew. Red onion, mushrooms, red kidney beans, sweetcorn, lima beans, black eye beans, a few garlic cloves, hot green chili and a scotch bonnet. Seasoned with garlic powder, hot red chili powder, ground black pepper, mixed herbs, paprika and chili flakes. Added a splash of soy sauce and served with basmati rice. It's got a pretty decent kick to it, but I'm really into my spicy food so I could eat something like this every day.

Gibby

Re: The Food Thread

Post by Gibby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 pm

I definitely lean in the "live to eat" direction. I love cooking and do most of the cooking at home quite happily. I've had a few lazy dinners this week so nothing exciting to report on - mainly just some steamed veg and some chicken type dinners, but this weekend I intend to cook a good curry. I was linked to a fantastic recipe that, as with all curries, can be made hotter or milder with the choice of chili peppers used. I've yet to try any other recipes from this woman's blog but many of them look delicious:

http://thismuslimgirlbakes.blogspot.com ... curry.html

I remember reheating a portion of leftovers I took to work and someone asked what Indian restaurant I'd got a takeaway from. 8-)

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Tonight I'm tackling a 'Meat Feast' frozen pizza.

The outer cardboard box and wrapper are carefully removed before the pizza is placed on a baking tray. Once the fan oven is heated to 180, the pizza is placed in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Some BBQ sauce on the side elevates the dish.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Cooked up a delicious seitan and mushroom pie tonight! I’m sure I lost you already -_- I rarely use recipes I just tend to go “I want that, lets have a guess and how to make that!” which sometimes doesn’t work....
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 pm

That's basically how I cook too. I'll use a reference recipe for the most basic version of a meal if I'm not sure how to make something, but then I just go to town adding in whatever I feel like. I've made a few monstrosities over the years, but generally I'm getting good enough with ingredients that I can feel stuff out now. It's how I developed my lovely chili bolognese recipe!

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

That's the best way to do it really. I generally don't follow recipes either but that curry I got recommended was worth it.

That sounds delicious, Alan. You can't scare me away with your vegan ways! ¬_¬

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:11 pm

I've basically been cooking the same lot of meals since my early 20s, paella, chili con carne, spag bol, throw in the odd curry (Indian and Thai), fajitas, stir-fry that sort of thing, make my own pizza sauce which is quite nice to turn into home-made French bread pizzas. I like cooking my own meals and tend to do a big batch cook once a week that I get 3-4 portions from. I don't remember the last time I used a recipe, though!

My wife cooked me something new this week, chicken balls in a tomato pasta sauce, was reet neece actually.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I mostly make sweet things like lemon and white chocolate cheesecake or millionaire's shortbread.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:08 am

I used to make batches of chilli.
Haven't bothered for quite some time, and really should.

Some nice scorch your face off dinner hilarity is in order :D
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 am

Tichinde wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:08 am
I used to make batches of chilli.
Haven't bothered for quite some time, and really should.

Some nice scorch your face off dinner hilarity is in order :D
My stepdad doesn't like spicy food, and I still remember the time he came over while I was cooking a curry and asked if he could taste it. I never knew that humans could go that colour and still live :lol:

I'd describe the shade as beetroot.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 am

Maturin wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 pm
Tonight I'm tackling a 'Meat Feast' frozen pizza.

The outer cardboard box and wrapper are carefully removed before the pizza is placed on a baking tray. Once the fan oven is heated to 180, the pizza is placed in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Some BBQ sauce on the side elevates the dish.
This is about the level of my culinary expertise.

If a meal cannot be complemented by baked beans, can it truly be considered a meal?

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 am

Absolutely.

My specialty meal is spaghetti, melted butter on top, baked beans on top of that, then grated cheddar cheese on top of that. Mix it all together into one delicious, orange sludge. ¬_¬
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:11 pm
I've basically been cooking the same lot of meals since my early 20s, paella, chili con carne, spag bol, throw in the odd curry (Indian and Thai), fajitas, stir-fry that sort of thing, make my own pizza sauce which is quite nice to turn into home-made French bread pizzas. I like cooking my own meals and tend to do a big batch cook once a week that I get 3-4 portions from. I don't remember the last time I used a recipe, though!

My wife cooked me something new this week, chicken balls in a tomato pasta sauce, was reet neece actually.
I didn't know they had balls. Turns out every day is a school day.

I'm pretty much the same though I cook the same things week in week out swapping out the occasional meal depending on the season. I could bore you all with my weekly menu but its pretty unspectacular. Trying to keep everyone in the family happy at dinner is pretty tough though. Tonight is tandoori salmon with rice minus the tandoori dressing for the wee man as he's a moaning little shit that wont eat anything that isn't drenched in tomato ketchup. :D

Just a bit of ginger, garlic, garam masala, lemon juice, honey, chilli, greek yog and some coriander zooshed up into a paste.

Quick and easy! That's the order of the day!

Me

Post by Me » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Don't need to cook any more in Burnley, we have our very own drive through fish and chip shop, even has a tikka fish option. What a time to be alive!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Those look suspiciously like fries to me. That's just not on.