Advanced Hero Quest: Quest I: The Halfling Cook - Completed

Exciting adventures IRL.
Maturin

Re: Advanced Hero Quest: Quest I: The Halfling Cook

Post by Maturin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 pm

I'm sure Terence would like that. :) It's up to you Sly, more than 1 wizard is still viable, just makes your party a bit more squishy. An extra henchman would help either way. Typically in AHQ you'd have one in the 2nd quest anyway.

We don't have to actually start the quest itself on Saturday, just confirm extra gold, equipment, stats, etc. As for times of day when most people are around, I've got nothing major planned in the evenings over the next week or two. (Apart from one evening next Friday). I'm usually knocking around till 11pm.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 pm

I'll re-roll I think, not sure if I relish the thought of the pair of us hovering around in doorways, stepping on each other's toes as we try to catch sight of the enemy being pummeled inside :lol:

It will mean once again calling on my non-existent Paint skills D:

Uh... I wouldn't mind though if kind-hearted old Paulox donated his hard-won loot to the new char's cause, though :P

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Yes, whatever happens the four brave souls venturing forth will all have the same amount of loot. And something extra too...

You should be able to find Doug's instructions at the start of this thread for rolling the character if you want to do it now. We'll finalise everything at the weekend.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Maturin wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Yes, whatever happens the four brave souls venturing forth will all have the same amount of loot. And something extra too...

You should be able to find Doug's instructions at the start of this thread for rolling the character if you want to do it now. We'll finalise everything at the weekend.
Yeah, was going to go back and go through the steps again (though after rolling the attributes I'll need help with the subsequent numbers), hopefully tomorrow.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:47 pm

I've got all the info here for character creation, so I'll help you sort it out.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:20 am

Thanks for taking over, Maturin. Looking forward to seeing where you take us.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 am

Go easy on me for the first day or so. ¬_¬

I can see myself scrambling through the rulebook for some of the finer points....

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 am

I have memorised a lot of it so will swoop in to help if you need it.

By which I mean I'll be constantly reminding you of what you're doing wrong. ¬_¬
The hissing of rats

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:01 am

Backseat DMing. Simply the worst. ¬_¬

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:12 am

Talking of rules, the rulebook for this is lovely but it's fair to say there's one or two small rules that could have been explained better. Doug will know what I'm talking about.

For example, exploration turns end immediately when monsters are seen - which means the gamesmaster phase is bypassed on that occasion, so no roll for dungeon counters takes place. At least that's my assumption.

Plus, the rules on what sentries can do is very sketchy. At first I assumed they could only go to a door and open it to see if other monsters are in an adjacent corridor/room, but it seems they can actually move around the map opening doors everywhere and getting reinforcements to the battle. But the rules have no proper section going into any detail about it.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am

Maturin wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:12 am
Doug will know what I'm talking about.

Oh yes!

I once read a review of a different GW product where they said the rules were often "baked into the text" -- I was never quite sure what was meant by that, but I think this book is a classic example of how I would interpret that phrase: i.e. important rules aren't set out clearly, but are often hidden among walls of text you don't actually think are relevant to the subject at hand.

Once you figure it all out I think there's a sweet game in there, but it takes a certain amount of careful studying to uncover it.
The hissing of rats

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am

Yeah, it also contradicts itself at times.

It's like the GM phase of exploration turns. One page explicitly says the turn ends the very moment monsters are discovered, but page 24 possibly implies you still go through the GM dungeon counter phase between finding monsters and starting the combat turn. :x

I'm trying to cast my mind back to how we played it all those years ago.. to be fair dungeon counters are possibly a bit overpowered if the DM gets too many of them, so I guess I'll interpret it as the phase being bypassed when monsters are found..

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 am

Ok... so looking at the racial bonuses and thinking about the logistics of combat encounters, I'm thinking of rolling an Elf Warrior with a view to being mainly an archer who can still mix it in melee if it gets a bit tasty.

Before I do so, does that sound viable? I don't want to hamper the group unnecessarily...

Also, is there anything I should bear in mind armour-wise when wishing to be an effective bowman?

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:33 am

That will be absolutely fine Sly.

Also, having an elf in the party will add +1 to the surprise roll when encountering enemies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:34 am

Maturin wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:33 am
That will be absolutely fine Sly.

Also, having an elf in the party will add +1 to the surprise roll when encountering enemies.
Is that good? :o