Rossell

Re: Trump

Post by Rossell » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Not while it gets him attention.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:06 am

So Trump becomes the third US president to be impeached.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50840934

I don't think I was expecting that decision to be reached quite so quickly. Of course it doesn't really mean anything, he's still in power, and as the vote for impeachment was almost entirely down the party lines, I'm not sure that this'll go any further (to be removed from office, two thirds of the senate needs to vote in favour). It'll be one of those divisive issues in the next election; the Republicans are already calling it an assault on democracy.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Staggering isn't it? He could not be any more bang to rights and has blatantly tried to disrupt the investigation that has led to it, but the Republicans are willing to throw the constitution into the shredder to protect the orange fool and their own interests.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Only thing in the way is the fact the senate is republican controlled so two things have to happen:

1) hope no democrat sabotages it.
2) convince vulnerable republicans it's in their best interest to defect or go against the grain.

Either way, its a nice fiery weapon for an election opponent to use against him.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Given there's a not a hope in hell it will be ratified by the senate, why did they even bother?

He'll just martyr himself in the coming election and his fanbase will probably go even more rabidly in his favour.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Given there's a not a hope in hell it will be ratified by the senate, why did they even bother?

He'll just martyr himself in the coming election and his fanbase will probably go even more rabidly in his favour.
Nancy Pelosi seemingly didn't want to go down the impeachment route for exactly this reason.

It's interesting that Republicans have already come out and said that Republican senators will rally behind the President and collaborate with the White House legal team. Senators are supposed to be neutral judges in situations like this. From my very basic understanding, it'd be a bit like the Conservatives saying that their former members in the House of Lords would vote in their favour.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:53 am

Raid wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:49 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Nancy Pelosi seemingly didn't want to go down the impeachment route for exactly this reason..
How can they not when the things he is doing are him trying to directly influence the election. If they impeach they might give him a rallying cry but if they don’t he has free reign to cheat in other ways. I guess it’s a point of strength rather than more Democrat doormat.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:19 pm

I'm pretty burnt out on following US politics, but I couldn't resist sharing this one. Here is an extract from a Trump speech where he is trying to argue against wind turbines due to the carbon footprint of manufacturing them.

I shit you not, this is a real quote.
“But they’re manufactured tremendous if you’re into this, tremendous fumes. Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything.

“You talk about the carbon footprint, fumes are spewing into the air, right? Spewing. Whether it’s in China, Germany, it’s going into the air. It’s our air, their air, everything, right?”

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Imbecile. >_<

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:24 pm

So he denies climate change... but he admits that fumes from manufacturing are bad... but coal produces fumes both at extraction and usage... but... argh, this is brain-breaking levels of stupidity. Did anyone check to see whether he'd had a stroke while saying this?

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:18 pm

He did. He payed her a hundred grand to stay quiet about it though.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:36 pm

He apparently hates wind farms because they built one near his golf course in Scotland and he couldn't get it removed. The man is the pure essence of petty narcissism.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:51 pm

So can someone explain how assassinating the head of an opposing country's military in an unprovoked drone strike isn't considered an act of war? I'm not attempting to defend Qasem Soleimani who seemingly was a nasty piece of work, I'm just not used to Western superpowers assassinating officials so openly without a declaration of war.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Don't forget - assassinating by bombing the capital city of a third country without their permission.

It's baffling to be honest.