Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Post by Wrathbone » Sun May 29, 2022 3:42 pm

There isn't much point into trying to apply reason to the situation. We're talking about a country where the public can legally buy an AR-15. Forget background checks, mental stability or constitutional rights - there is no situation in which a civilian owning an assault rifle should be considered fine. But inevitably the NRA will throw money at the right people and the same old noise about the right to bear arms will perpetuate the stupidity.

If the US ever does have a second civil war, I wonder what the 2nd amendment die-hards will think when they're stood on their doorstep with their trusty AR-15, owned by right and blood to defend their home and overthrow corrupt governments, and they realise that they're facing off against the most powerful military force in history.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun May 29, 2022 3:55 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:42 pm
If the US ever does have a second civil war, I wonder what the 2nd amendment die-hards will think when they're stood on their doorstep with their trusty AR-15, owned by right and blood to defend their home and overthrow corrupt governments, and they realise that they're facing off against the most powerful military force in history.
"We shoulda bought more guns, Cletus!"

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun May 29, 2022 4:42 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
That's the truly sad thing about all of this. If the US Government turned truly tyrannical, I'm sure they could very quickly decide to violate personal freedoms, build a database of people who likely have strong 2nd Amendment leanings, and then immediately target them. If you get targeted by the US Government, no amount of assault rifles is going to help against the drone orbiting your house, entirely inaudible and invisible to the naked eye, ready to drop smart munitions on you.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun May 29, 2022 7:17 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:55 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
"We shoulda bought more guns, Cletus!"
https://imgur.com/gallery/jaS2qqq

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun May 29, 2022 7:42 pm

Ahh, so those are the people that give the US civilian gun ownership rate to 1.2 guns per person.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Mon May 30, 2022 1:44 pm

ARs and such build upon a maniacal sort of myth, the kind that 12-year-old boys still believe, that having a rifle in your hands means you can stop anyone or anything. We see Hollywood flaunting this for decades now, all in good fun naturally, and we all watch these movies with their impossibly unrealistic tropes. I'm here to tell you that there are plenty of dudes with sloped foreheads that truly do believe, and they are run amok in America because of our insane worship of the 2nd Amendment.

What generally happens in the case of gunfights, where one side is badly outnumbered and surrounded, is that they get slaughtered. I don't care how many rifles Cletus has in his basement, he can only hold two at a time, very poorly, and will have to drop them both to reload or grab another. He'll run out of ammo in every rifle eventually, and will have to put in a new magazine, which sound is what is trained for. All of this, I'm just speaking about a small breaching team - you guys rightfully point out that none of these dumb fucks will last three seconds against an actual military action. Tanks and APCs and gunships? Yep, those 30mm rounds are gonna make your house fall down on your head.

There's a meme I saw yesterday, said basically that if two teams' worth of police are afraid to go after a guy with a rifle, then nobody should be able to own that rifle. I agree wholeheartedly, and this is coming from a former US Marine. I've used a dozen different weapons systems, back in the day, and I can tell you that the only one of them I'd even half consider for civilian use is the 1911 handgun, for personal defense. We have tons of hunters in this country, and whatever, go shoot animals, but an AR is not the weapon, not the round, for hunting.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 30, 2022 2:06 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:44 pm
There's a meme I saw yesterday, said basically that if two teams' worth of police are afraid to go after a guy with a rifle, then nobody should be able to own that rifle.
100% this. This example alone is enough to destroy the argument that arming everybody and their pets would prevent school shootings, because if a heavily-armed and extensively-trained police force isn't prepared to go after one person with an automatic rifle then in what world should we expect Joe Public to get involved and save the day?

And even if they did, it's a truly terrible idea because instead of one lunatic firing weapons you have multiple people (likely with little or no training for such an event) firing weapons. Imagine if the police came in at that moment - how would they know who to shoot? How would other teachers running in with their guns react when they see Bill the janitor shooting at someone?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon May 30, 2022 2:12 pm

I'd be interested to see statistics about military veterans' private gun ownership rates versus the rest of the population. My expectation is that people that have been trained to use these things professionally have more of a healthy respect for what they're actually supposed to be used for (that certainly sounds to be the case with yourself Todd). I dare say there's a sizeable chunk of gun owners in America whose only "training" has come from Hollywood, so they focus on the emotional connection rather than any sense of actual realism, because that's just how mass media works.

I suppose I'd maybe understand it if those people pictured above collected firearms just because of the aesthetic appeal. I've considered collecting replicas of firearms (along with other hand props) from pop culture (Star Trek phasers, Deckard's blaster from Blade Runner, the M41A Pulse Rifle from Aliens, that sort of stuff), and I guess it's not a massive leap from collecting fictional weapons to collecting real ones, it's just that my collection couldn't then be used to actually kill anything. Hell, I'd even consider an SG1-spec P90 because I have an emotional connection to the show it featured in, and that's very much a real weapon, but I'd have to think hard about that one because I doubt I'd really want to explain it to people.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon May 30, 2022 3:43 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:17 pm

Neil Buchanan would be proud.

The one with the girl on her bed, they’re all airsoft guns. :lol:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon May 30, 2022 3:51 pm

There are people in the US who collect guns for the historical value and never shoot them because they're just too rare to risk damaging them. This I have no problem with, same with bolt action hunting rifles that you may only need 1 bullet to get the job done. The AR15 seems to be the worthless dumbfuck's answer to their lack of achievement in life, this makes me a man along with the massive truck I can't afford to run.

Those Republican's and NRA people should be made to look at the cleanup of a school shooting. From what I've read those kids were ripped to shreds and some had to be identified using DNA samples from the parents. Gun shop owners should be held responsible for selling a gun that is used in a shooting, Fucking cunts all of them.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Mon May 30, 2022 7:35 pm

Agreed with all. Chris, the Hollywood thing shouldn't be downplayed (not saying you are, of course). Take the Keanu Reeves training video that goes around and around. Wow! He's amazing! Look at him go. Okay, good that he's trained enough hours on those weapons that he knows how to reload, clear a jam, hold it properly, etc etc. That's awesome. But he'd be dead in the first five seconds if those targets were actual people and he charged around like that. Nobody who wants to live will move like that from cover to cover if there's a dozen bad guys within 500 meters.

I have intimate knowledge of the M16A2 platform, and the SAW. Back in the day, I could take them apart and put them back together without thinking about it. I could hit headshots at 500m on the range with *iron sights* on my M16, and I have my range book from 1986 to prove it. I've never owned a gun of any sort, beyond a paintball gun. As good as I am with the weapon, I have no illusions of grandeur, no adolescent fantasies about being some video game hero that kills thousands an hour. Many of these mass shooters end up dead because eventually a team of heavily armed dudes takes them out; the fantasy ends quickly, and without grace.

I'll never forget, back in Northern California, the day four Oakland PD were killed by a fugitive. He'd barricaded himself in a shithole apartment somewhere in Oakland, but his presence was known. He had a full-auto submachine gun of some sort - Tech-9, whatever. Killed four PD when he emptied his magazine. Then he was dead, because the other PD walked up to him and filled him full of holes. Huge funeral for the fallen PD. Thousands of police from all over the country drove to Oakland. I thought the president was visiting, I didn't realize it was for the funeral and services, at first.

I wish my country wasn't the absolute fucked up shithole its becoming. I really didn't see this coming, way back when in my teenage years, in the 80s. I thought the Iran/Contra affair and Reagonomics were the worst things that could happen here. So, so very wrong :(
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon May 30, 2022 7:53 pm

I don't think they expect to survive anyway, it's suicide by cop with as much collateral damage as they can muster.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon May 30, 2022 8:26 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 3:43 pm
Medicine Man wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:17 pm

Neil Buchanan would be proud.

The one with the girl on her bed, they’re all airsoft guns. :lol:
The disappointment and shame on the dog's face is what makes that one for me.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:57 pm

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jan-6-com ... ew-he-lost
The committee also alleged that the Trump campaign and its allies used those false claims to exploit donors, to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. In perhaps the most egregious instance, multiple campaign officials told the committee that the “official election defense fund" mentioned in fundraising emails didn’t even exist. It was just a marketing ploy to extract money, which was then divvied up among a number of accounts.
It's scary how a man widely known for such vast money failings in the past was able to not only convince half a country he didn't lose but financially benefited from those lies to such an unimaginable degree. All he had to do was push the big lie at any given opportunity one day, then another and then another. Next thing you know it's been two fucking years and he's riding that same lie so high. Losing quite possibly lined his pockets more than remaining in power.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:02 pm

The Jan 6th hearings are pretty damning stuff, and well worth keeping up with! Today's was especially good, with prominent republican voices having to admit there is no credible evidence of voter fraud. Bill Barr, as odious and greasy a man as he is, thoroughly denounced the Orange one's complex of lies around The Steal, running over him more than once.

You can catch them all on CSPAN, or watch them on Youtube with various watch parties. I personally have been sitting in on Mary Trump's Politicon Youtube channel and The Meiselas Brothers Youtube hosted by Tony Michaels. Both are great fun, with fantastic guests in the panel and good live chat.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn