Aaand, In Other News...

Exciting adventures IRL.
eny

Re: Aaand, In Other News...

Post by eny » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:54 pm

🤦‍♂️
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Can't say I'm surprised the carpenter just sat dumbfounded; we are literally running out of sand used to produce concrete.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... ut-of-sand

But then Insulate Britain just have such a negative effect on their own message, idiots with media outlets rather unsurprisingly treat them as hostile interviewees.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:19 pm

Going back to the Alec Baldwin shooting, it looks like there was a real bullet in the gun and live ammunition was found on the set.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59068976

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:19 pm
Going back to the Alec Baldwin shooting, it looks like there was a real bullet in the gun and live ammunition was found on the set.
As I said before, how in the world do you have a film set where prop guns are used and bring real, actual ammunition to that area in a way that it could ever be mixed up with blank ammunition? If live ammunition is required for certain effects, or maybe for security teams, surely common sense (let alone gun safety procedures) would lead to the live ammunition being kept well apart from blank ammunition and with strict, secured access? Surely you'd establish basic rules like having one safety officer handle live ammunition and a different safety officer handling blank ammunition? I really can't grasp how lax you'd have to be, how brazenly confident that a mistake hasn't been made that something like this could ever happen.

I mean for crying out loud, when I cross the road and look left then right and see that there's not a car in sight, I still look left again before crossing just in case. I can't imagine handing someone a gun and telling them it's safe without double, triple checking that there is no chance that live ammunition is in there.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Sounds like it was just sheer incompetence from whoever was in charge. I can't imagine any scenario where real bullets would be needed on a film production other than in training on a gun range where actors get familiar with the weapons.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:38 pm

Real ammo is apparently used sometimes because it's easier to show a real bullet impact than it is to sync up two separate effects that need to happen together. I'm not sure if that's a common practice because of the dangers involved - surely the safety precautions, the risk assessments, the handling controls etc. are more trouble than it's worth.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:39 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59083601

EDIT - Apparently it's only the main corporate name changing to Meta, the offshoots like Facebook and Instagram will stay the same. So much ado about nothing really.
Last edited by Hatredsheart on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Change the name of the company, everyone will forget the soul crushing shit we created!!

On the plus side, saying "meta" every 5 seconds in YouTube videos might stop now.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm

Oh please let some fuckstick sue them because it is already used somewhere else. What a shit name.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:40 pm

They're dropping the Oculus name from the VR division, replacing it with this Meta branding. The standalone VR product is now going to be called the Meta Quest, which is not only a shit name for a product, but indicative of how awful that word sounds as a brand name.
Bosworth called the decision to ditch the Oculus branding "very difficult", adding that, "While we're retiring the name, I can assure you that the original Oculus vision remains deeply embedded in how Meta will continue to drive mass adoption for VR today."
You mean the original Oculus vision for high-end PC VR that you've entirely abandoned? You sure about that?

eny

Post by eny » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:48 pm

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:54 am

Amazon are going to stop accepting Visa credit cards issued in the UK from January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59306200

This is a pain in the arse for me. I buy just about everything outside of groceries on my credit card, it helps me to keep track of exactly what I've spent on non-essentials, and I pay it off in full every month to ensure I don't pay any interest. I have exactly zero sympathy for Amazon, but the fact that credit card fees went up from 0.3% to 1.5% after Brexit, which for a company with as much business as Amazon could equate to a hundred million pounds in a year, I can kinda see their point. But just like that Apple / Epic spat, I really can't be that invested over ultra-rich companies squabbling over which one should be getting even richer.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:01 pm

I've stopped using Amazon altogether tbh, partly because of unemployment, but also just the whole distaste in my mouth after their performance with the pandemic, and the whole space-cock shite. I want to spend money with smaller more connected concerns, rather than those at-whatever-cost businesses. I am actually ashamed at how much money I've spaffed with Amazon, living on less than half of what I used to earn really puts into painful perspective just how much I used to spend without any consciousness.

– Abraham Lincoln

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Funny that Amazon have no problem with AmEx fees.

Also I'm sure this couldn't possibly be anything to do with Amazon's own credit card being with Mastercard.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 pm

It's Brexit related (I'm told)

In the EU the fees are capped. Outside the EU, not so much.