Post by Animalmother » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:28 pm

Raid
Local

Re: Aaand, In Other News...

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:15 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:51 pm
That is a truly horrific rendition of a catchy, upbeat song
It's such a bizarre choice for one of these breathy, slow-paced, soulful cover versions. I unapologetically quite like All the Small Things, but it's basically nonsense.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:59 am

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... bankruptcy

Three weeks in and he's suggesting the company may possibly declare bankruptcy. What an astronomical moron. He's literally tanked a huge and pretty successful platform entirely off the back of his own overblown ego.

It seems that his requests to personally do code reviews of staff's work and banning working from home alongside hints at all the other ridiculous policy changes have led to a lot of more senior staff quitting.

Can we just fire him into space? Preferably the sun.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:25 am

Is he intentionally trying to kill Twitter out of spite for the way the sale was handled (which I gather was entirely Musk's fault)?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:43 am

It's all happened so quickly that I'm not sure I even understand the situation entirely. I know he's one of those late-stage capitalists that inherently believes that anyone that isn't him is lazy and should be working harder to make more money, so bringing in unpopular policies like banning remote working was always going to happen, and trying to monetise the whole confirmed user thing isn't surprising, but this has gone downhill so insanely quickly and I feel like I've missed something. Even Musk will notice a $44billion loss - obviously it won't actually affect him in any measurable way, but I suspect these sorts of people define their self-worth via their accountants, and I can't imagine even he'd buy a company for that amount of money with the express desire to run it into the ground unless there were a way he would personally profit from it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am

He seems to have this ultra libertarian view that he can basically do whatever he wants and get away with it. Some of his recent Tweets have basically said things along the lines that they're going to cause chaos on Twitter whilst they randomly trial and pull new features. It seems like he's essentially using the actual live platform as a way to experiment with whatever mental ideas he has on a whim. No wonder senior staff would rather bail and all their advertisement contractors are pulling away from the platform. The big companies in particular weren't keen on him potentially turning it into a hate speech filled cesspit after he sacked half the team hired to implement their content moderation policies.

I especially like that he Tweeted that Twitter Blue would cost about 30 dollars a month, Stephen King Tweeted back to tell him to fuck off and said he was quitting the platform and Musk responded by changing the price to 8 dollars. He's just a power mad ego maniac at the controls and has absolutely no business acumen to actually plan and implement any meaningful changes. I think he just enjoys having all the attention focused on himself whilst he makes up policy and features on the fly in public.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:51 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:43 am
It's all happened so quickly that I'm not sure I even understand the situation entirely. I know he's one of those late-stage capitalists that inherently believes that anyone that isn't him is lazy and should be working harder to make more money, so bringing in unpopular policies like banning remote working was always going to happen, and trying to monetise the whole confirmed user thing isn't surprising, but this has gone downhill so insanely quickly and I feel like I've missed something. Even Musk will notice a $44billion loss - obviously it won't actually affect him in any measurable way, but I suspect these sorts of people define their self-worth via their accountants, and I can't imagine even he'd buy a company for that amount of money with the express desire to run it into the ground unless there were a way he would personally profit from it.
If Twitter declares bankruptcy, I imagine Musk's personal financial damage won't amount to $44bn. I really wouldn't put it past him to run a company into the ground to make a point, even if there is a financial hit.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:03 am

Imagine this Edwin running a colony on Mars!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:11 am

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:03 am
Imagine this Edwin running a colony on Mars!
Elon Judd.

(Avenue 5 reference...)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:14 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am
He seems to have this ultra libertarian view that he can basically do whatever he wants and get away with it. Some of his recent Tweets have basically said things along the lines that they're going to cause chaos on Twitter whilst they randomly trial and pull new features. It seems like he's essentially using the actual live platform as a way to experiment with whatever mental ideas he has on a whim. No wonder senior staff would rather bail and all their advertisement contractors are pulling away from the platform. The big companies in particular weren't keen on him potentially turning it into a hate speech filled cesspit after he sacked half the team hired to implement their content moderation policies.

I especially like that he Tweeted that Twitter Blue would cost about 30 dollars a month, Stephen King Tweeted back to tell him to fuck off and said he was quitting the platform and Musk responded by changing the price to 8 dollars. He's just a power mad ego maniac at the controls and has absolutely no business acumen to actually plan and implement any meaningful changes. I think he just enjoys having all the attention focused on himself whilst he makes up policy and features on the fly in public.
Even the blue tick thing has become hilarious now that every Edwin, crank and parody account can make themselves look like genuine public figures. There's already been pharmaceutical companies apparently announcing free insulin, sportspeople demanding transfers, Nintendo getting Mario to flip the middle finger and a drunk pope arguing with a 16th century philosopher :lol:

I feel like this, as much as the financial issues, will bring down the platform entirely.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:52 am

Whatever the case all his musketeers who praised him buying out an entire platform *walking in with a sink, you so witty Elon* and that he would bring in a golden new era of true free speech well - watching it all crash and burn in slow motion as they try to divert all wrong doing from him directly, it’s kind of satisfying. He had no real idea what he was getting into to start, something tells me that he never does, throwing shit money and a super smug grin at the wall seems to be his base tactic.

Of course, I wouldn't be happy if the platform completely tanks it can be very useful and entertaining but saying that it was already unprofitable and losing 4 million a day - it's also so relatively small compared to its other social platform brethren, I don't think many even realise how small because of the fact it's such a household name.

Now pay me $8 might just end up being his biggest eternal legacy. :lol:
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:14 pm

I'm not sure there's really anything that can be done to save it, at least with the level of popularity it had before. The confidence is gone, the personalities that bring general users to the platform are already looking for alternatives because they don't want to be associated with this childish power trip that could potentially lead to Twitter becoming a cesspool.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:32 pm

Late-stage capitalism. The Dollar is next. Watch this space.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 pm

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:59 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗