Hatredsheart

Re: Aaand, In Other News...

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:56 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:17 am

"Baldwin's stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn't have any ammunition, including blanks — two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times."
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... es%20Times.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 am

It really is absolutely tragic, and I can't imagine how awful it must feel for everyone involved, but it feels really bizarre that this isn't the first time it's happened. How can a working firearm be declared safe if nobody has checked the barrel? Given what happened with Brandon Lee, you'd have thought that would have been compulsory.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:54 am

Why in the world was there live ammunition on a film set in the first place? This should be a safety situation that is beyond foolproof, not least because it really shouldn't be that difficult to address.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:05 am

I would guess perhaps for scenes when someone shoots a can or a bottle or whatever. Its much cheaper/easier to synchronise a bullet than to synchronise a squib.

eny

Post by eny » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:09 am

"Live" means explosive propellant rather than bullet load. Even blanks are classed as live ammunition. Also, no "live" loaded weapon should ever be discharged directly at the subject, filming angles should always be utilized, even with blanks, as "peppering" results even without a projectile load. There was a tweet I can't now find of another actor who described the armorer's weapon training to be abysmally brief, and I believe this accident was the result of a job-lot of union people employed after the crew walkout—so a concatenation of events that signaled, were ignored and finally led to this unfortunate end.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:13 am

Apparently she was quite outspoken sticking up for the union folk too which makes it all the more tragic.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 am

While what I have read says it was a live round, even blanks can be lethal at close range. I used to be a cadet in my teens and remember going on a 48 hour exercise with blank ammo. The regular army guy with us had one of the paper targets from the range and unknown to us a bag of blood and offal behind it. He warned us against letting our blood get up if there was a firefight, taking my SLR and shooting the target from about 2 feet away. The target was shredded and the bag of blood and guts came through it. Was a warning we all took to heart!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:39 am

Isn't that why they have that yellow thingy blocking the muzzle during training?

eny

Post by eny » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Some of Alec's tweet history that is floating back up is uncomfortable to say the least, and of course, Boebert and shit-stain Jr. are making themselves feel good commentating on it....which brings me back to a constant thought floating in my head: is there some trump supporting union member who took offence to his past parodies, and might have enabled this accident in some way? I get it, this is how conspiracy theories begin, and I should stop right there... =;

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AlecFor ... cal=trends

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:18 pm

I remember seeing a demonstration when one of those TV magicians (Darren Brown?) played Russian Roulette live, and as part of convincing the audience it was real, he showed what happens when a blank is fired at point-blank range, and it's not a lot different to an actual bullet being fired. The projectile is missing but the force is still being directed out of the barrel. Because of this apparently actors don't actually point a blank-loaded weapon at another actor on set, instead it's aimed slightly off to the side at an angle which looks normal on camera. Baldwin was either pointing the weapon at Hutchins, she was killed by a ricochet, or the weapon was fired accidentally while not being handled properly. Clearly something has gone pretty wrong on this set.

eny

Post by eny » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Or he was rehearsing with what he was told was a "cold" dummy weapon that had accidentally been a "live" one. Either way, it's a tragic accident, and he will live with it for the rest of his life.

– Abraham Lincoln

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:46 pm

I remember reading a story, ages ago now, of an actor who jokingly held a prop gun to his head and pulled the trigger, committing unintentional suicide in front of several other obviously horrified actors. These people making movies are walking down well-trodden paths, so to speak. No way this should have happened.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:46 pm
I remember reading a story, ages ago now, of an actor who jokingly held a prop gun to his head and pulled the trigger, committing unintentional suicide in front of several other obviously horrified actors. These people making movies are walking down well-trodden paths, so to speak. No way this should have happened.
He had a blank firing gun and was pretending to play Russian Roulette without realising there was a blank cartridge in the gun. I remember the crappy TV show he died on as well.