Aaand, In Other News...

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: Aaand, In Other News...

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:41 am

:?

What the hell is going on there? If you search for "ornament desk" instead the results are far more what I'd expect.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am

Fuck me seriously?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:12 pm

In my naive mind I would have thought it was illegal to make and sell that shit.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:18 pm

Minnesota Republicans accidentally legalise edibles because they pass a bill they didn't read properly:

https://m.startribune.com/edibles-and-b ... lmob=y&c=n

:lol:
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:57 pm

– Abraham Lincoln

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:23 pm

The Dollar is now equal to the Euro for the first time in 20 years, and $1.19 per £1.

– Abraham Lincoln

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:42 am

It's going to be pretty toasty later. Over 40 in some parts of the country potentially. Projected to be 38 here. Stay safe everyone.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:25 am

26c in the house at the moment. Got tonsillitis too, so productivity is plummeting towards zero.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:34 am

I'm mercifully off work this week (not that I work tuesdays anyway), but honestly my ability to enjoy myself is pretty limited when it comes to temperatures like this, because just about everything is electronic and produces heat. It's only hitting 32 as a maximum today (marginally higher than yesterday), but it didn't get any cooler than 22 overnight, so it's not like I even started from a cool house first thing. I've been awake since 4 because I had to leave my windows open all night, and I live next to a motorway (and am a fairly light sleeper so the noise wakes me). I think I'm drinking more than twice the normal amount of water I'd be consuming, and I'm barely even moving. I did at least manage to go for my morning exercise on both days, but today's was pretty uncomfortable.

I'm honestly tempted to just grab my Kindle and go sit in a cool bath until the evening.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 am

My partner was told by someone who read somewhere that having all of the windows closed helps dissipate the heat so I've been stuck in a hot box producing back sweat by the litre, having covid currently on top isn't helping matters. 34 here right now so dropping down to the low 20's from tomorrow is going to feel like a true respite, because this shit is ridiculous.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:49 am

In my office at home it's currently 32 degrees atm, it was 31 at 0925 this morning. I'm lucky in that I quite like the heat even if I'd rather not be working in it and also that the ground floor of my house is a chill 24 degrees atm. Last might was a tough nights sleep though and I'm expecting tonight to be worse.

If I lived anywhere near where I worked I'd totally have gone into the office where it's so cold you need a hoodie still I'm told.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:52 am

Lennyquantum wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 am
My partner was told by someone who read somewhere that having all of the windows closed helps dissipate the heat
Kinda makes sense, our houses are very well insulated so will resist change in temperature for a long time. I don't think it'll dissipate any heat though, just slow down the warming-up process. We waited until outside was cooler than inside before opening ours yesterday.

We're the weird neighbours with foil on our windows (we're moving soon, so don't care), and it definitely seems to make a marked difference. We're hiding in the only room we have a portable air con unit in, have got a velcro-on window guard to seal the heat tube into so the scorching breeze doesn't sneak in the only open window… and it's still nearly 30º in here!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:52 am

You should definitely leave windows and curtains/blinds closed at these sorts of temperatures. If it's hotter outside than inside, opening windows will just make the house hotter.

I've gone as far as piling up a dismantled desk to block my bedroom window because it gets direct sun all afternoon and the blackout curtains were almost too hot to touch.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:03 am

Yeah, if it's warmer outside than in, if you open the windows, it's just going to get warmer inside. I'm surprised so many people don't seem to realise that.

I get all of the windows open as soon as I get up as it's usually cooler outside than in, then as soon as the internal temperature is as close to the outside as possible, they all get shut, the blinds get drawn, and the curtains (in the few rooms I have them) get closed. The blinds are white so reflect a lot of the sunlight back out into the world, and the closed curtains form an insulating layer, albeit one that's not terribly effective in my case. My house yesterday was a relatively comfortable temperature all the way up until about 5pm. Today though it's been uncomfortable right from the start as there wasn't any cool air outside to bring the temperature down.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:19 am

Yeah it's not so much that having the windows closed helps the heat leave, more that it'll slow down how quickly it warms up. You have to open the windows overnight to let as much cool air in as possible and then close them in the morning because if the air is hotter outside than it is inside then all you're doing by having them open is letting even warmer air in. Likewise with curtains, keeping them closed so the sun isn't directly beaming into your rooms will stop it turning your home into an oven.

It's currently about 28 in here and 37 outside. I've got my bath full of ice cold water ready to go stand in for a bit when I get in after I pop out to the shops later.