Aaand, In Other News...

Exciting adventures IRL.
Achtung Englander

Re: Aaand, In Other News...

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:47 am

Sky news cannot do maths

The tree is reportedly 300 years old and was planted between 1860 and 1890, according to the National Trust.

Did they mean 1760 or 200 years? :|
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

eny

Post by eny » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:59 am

It's 200 years old. It will stool up again, so isn't dead, but now will look like a weed rather than a monarch.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:06 pm

It had been renamed Sycamore Stump as early as yesterday lunchtime.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:16 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:01 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-mid ... t-67050350
Has the world always been this fucked or are we just going through a very long bad spell?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:09 am

I've never paid masses of attention to the situation surrounding Gaza, but given that they've been firing missiles at one another for decades, this always felt like a possibility. It's horrific, Gaza have supposedly raided a music festival for hostages, and killed hundreds. Gaza has said Israel have fired missiles into refugee camps. The US is sending their most modern aircraft carrier to the region. This could be a total clusterfuck.

Israel have announced they're cutting off the water supply to the strip (Israel provides all of their utilities). There are two million people living in Gaza.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:29 pm

The US is already struggling to maintain political support for aiding Ukraine, so I worry that the only way they'll get support for prolonged intervention in Israel is by really getting involved. i.e. They may play up the idea that this is an Iranian proxy war, which would escalate the whole thing. Of course the long-standing relationship between the US and Israel is much stronger than that between the US and Ukraine, but it's going to be hard for them to justify winding things down with Ukraine while deploying warships to Israel, unless they portray it as a war which poses a strong threat to America.

What's disturbing is that any semblance of the Geneva Convention has been binned. Hamas have been parading corpses naked through the streets and Israel are intentionally creating a humanitarian disaster in waiting. Every angle of this is a total nightmare.

Let's just hope that Israel's infamous stance of "we don't have nukes, but we're not afraid to use them" isn't put to the test.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:43 pm

Nah US feckin lllllove Israel. They'll be right in there. Wouldn't surprise me if they go into Ukraine to take back supplies to give them to Israel.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:44 pm

I'm assuming this image has been vetted as it's the BBC's headline image on their front page right now.

The Israeli PM has said that what Hamas will experience will be "difficult and terrible", and that his country's response will "change the Middle-East". That's not in the slightest bit worrying.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:12 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:43 pm
Nah US feckin lllllove Israel. They'll be right in there. Wouldn't surprise me if they go into Ukraine to take back supplies to give them to Israel.
There's certainly a large contingent over here that loves Israel. I'm not the least bit a part of that, and never have been. All these deaths, because people want to fight over some "holy land" horseshit... Sorry, if that's more important to you than keeping your family safe and alive, so be it
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:20 pm

It doesn’t help when every generation grows up being told to hate the other side, reinforced by every family knowing someone who’s died in the conflict. That’s not a recipe for diminishing violence.

The religious aspect to it is maddening, though. If the Dome on the Rock was destroyed, they’d fight over the rubble. Utter insanity.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:32 pm

Also doesn't help that the same horrible cunts have been in charge for literal decades. I doubt anything thing will change until they're gone.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:37 pm

K-Pop girl group leaves Texas crowd bemused after turning up in Rangers strip
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/k-po ... e-27963727

"The six-piece group has found success in Korea and Japan but in a bid to win over the crowd in Texas they decided to give a nod to the local sports team, Texas Rangers, but ended up picking the wrong Rangers"
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:45 pm

This week has been gut wrenchingly sickening in regards to western reporting of the siege on Gaza. I did expect to see some outlets just glossing over or re-wording the situation over there, but its pretty much just 99% of them. Can't even look at what counts for journalism in this country anymore.
Latest posts on twitter are saying all cellular and internet services are down in Gaza. The entire strip is cut off from the internet, apart from moments of satelite link.