Advanced Heroquest: Quest II: The Tomb of Dragomir - Completed

Exciting adventures IRL.
Maturin

Advanced Heroquest: Quest II: The Tomb of Dragomir - Completed

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:38 pm

I thought I'd kick the new thread off. Once Tichinde has sorted out his character sheet, we'll gather them all together and prepare for the next quest!

Reward from the Baron:
Thoroughly pleased to see the return of his halfling cook, the Baron throws 4 bags of gold crowns your way. 100 in each!
Last edited by Maturin on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maturin

Re: Advanced Heroquest: Quest II: The Tomb of Dragomir

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:39 pm

Quest II: The Tomb of Dragomir

After much drinking & debauchery following the successful rescue of the Baron's cook, you awake bleary-eyed to the call of a messenger. You have been summoned to Whitestone Manor, the home of the city's most powerful merchant, with all due haste!

It seems the Baron recommended you to Lord Whitestone for a difficult task; to find the tomb of Dragomir, an ancient & powerful ruler, who's final resting place has never been discovered. But mysteriously, in the past few days an account of the last words of a dying wizard found their way to Whitestone Manor, scrambled on a piece of parchment:

"Dragomir.... beneath... DoomGuard... a passage that leads nowhere....there lies a door...three symbols must be found.."

After hearing Lord Whitestone's promises of riches, you agree to set off to DoomGuard, the remains of an ancient fort, now derelict and populated with a ragtag group of Skaven. Within the dungeons you must find these so-called symbols and the secret door that leads to the tomb below. If the sarcophagus of Dragomir can be found, its contents *must* be returned to the merchant.

He makes it very clear that any attempt to hoodwink him, and keep the treasure for yourselves, will result in a grisly end for all of you...

QUEST NOTES

Henchmen:
Through his contacts at the city militia, Lord Whitestone has made available two men-at-arms for this quest, both armed with halberds. They must 'belong' to one hero each (to be decided amongst yourselves). They require no payment at this time, but should their services be required after this quest you will need to pay them in the future to keep them employed.

Man-at-Arms character sheet:
Spoiler

GOLD ADVANCE
Lord Whitestone grudgingly admits this will be a tough task and advances you 100 gold crown each, in aid of any supplies that may be required. (On top of the Baron's reward that comes to 200 each).
Last edited by Maturin on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:41 pm

So, with 200 extra gold each, there are choices to be made for all of you! Here is the list of items available. Some of you may wish to increase one of your characteristics, others may wish to stock up on components and healing potions. Any spare coin should be spent on equipment to counter the hazards you may find...

+ Additional Man-at-Arms 50 GC
+ Additional Sergeant 100 GC
Last edited by Maturin on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:47 pm

Additional Notes

While on the quest, heroes and henchmen may carry a maximum of 250 gold crowns each. (All of which belong to the heroes)

During Exploration & Combat turns, a henchman is under direct control of the hero who controls him and must move/attack together. So you can't randomly move them at any time in the turn - they are personal bodyguards and only take orders from one person. This means care must be taken with positioning to make most use of them.

Henchmen cannot open doors or search for traps/treasure in the exploration phase.
Last edited by Maturin on Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Right, so who's best to take one of these henchmen? Do we still have 3 warriors and one wizard?

I'm not really sure what to spend my 277 coin on, tempted to use 200 of it to increase a stat and spend the rest of random equipment.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Yes, it's 3 warriors (one of them primarily an archer) and Tichinde's character will be a wizard.

There's nothing to stop you hiring additional henchmen I should add; 50 gold crowns each for a man-at-arms and sergeants for 100 each. Sergeants are more capable. Here are their stats:
Spoiler

All are expendable of course. But if you do well in finding gold crowns, losing henchmen means you may have to leave some of those crowns behind...

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:44 pm

A quick note on increasing characteristics:

Increasing Weapon Skill makes you more likely to hit in hand-to-hand combat, AND less likely to BE hit.
Increasing Bow Skill makes you more likely to hit with a ranged weapon.
Increasing Strength provides more damage dice in hand-to-hand combat when you do score a hit.
Increasing Toughness makes it harder for an enemy to score wounds with his damage dice, if they score a hit.
Increasing Speed gives you an extra tile to move in combat turns.
Increasing Bravery make you more likely to pass a Bravery Test.
Increasing Intelligence makes you more likely to pass an Intelligence Test, either through casting certain spells or when dealing with other hazards.
Increasing wounds gives you.... more wounds.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:25 pm

Shopping list:

3 extra Amethyst Dust (Burn all the things) @75G
2 extra Corundum Globe (Heal all the things I may 'accidentally' burn) @50G
3 daggers @30G
Spending 155G of my 160 (60 rolled starting plus the advance).
If I've inherited the reward from the Baron, then it's 2 more of each of the reagents :)

On henchmen, I'd be inclined to use them at meatshields so probably best for the front liners to take them??

I'm Th...Angron. Angron the Black. Bloody dwarves eh? Coming over here and taking all the wizarding spots in parties.
Spoiler
Last edited by Tichinde on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:29 pm

I'll take one of them then, seeing as I'm super tanky and will likely be at the front of all the combat.

Also, I will spend 200 gold to increase my weapon skill to 12, buy a healing potion, 6 more arrows, 10 iron spikes and a 10' rope; leaving me with a tidy 2 gold.

Will upload my new character sheet in a moment.

Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me that my increased weapon skill will change my stats. So will need to know those before I upload.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Just to confirm, you have 77 gold each from the last quest dungeon.
Plus 100 gold from the Baron.
Plus 100 gold advance from Lord Whitestone.
Which totals 277.

Tichinde, you also have your starting gold of 60 to add to that.

You each need to spend 20gold for living expenses.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Bugger, in which case I'll not buy the extra arrows and iron spikes, so the 20 is covered there and I'm still left with 2.

My weapon skill lies at a whopping 12 now.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me that my increased weapon skill will change my stats. So will need to know those before I upload.
Your new H2H table would be 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,4,5,6,7.

You're going to be very hard to hit in combat! Although your low strength means you won't have many damage dice...
Last edited by Maturin on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:40 pm

Tichinde wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:25 pm
I'm Th...Angron. Angron the Black. Bloody dwarves eh? Coming over here and taking all the wizarding spots in parties.
Spoiler
Tichinde, could you fill in your 'Current' stats to match your starting stats?

Also, for your throwing daggers, add an entry in your weapon section: Range 3, dice 2.

Plus, make a note of your components/equipment/leftover gold in the bottom section to keep track of it. Cheers.

Remember you've got 317 to spend...
Last edited by Maturin on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Right, here is the battle hardened Bellis.
Spoiler

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks Mantis!

Of course, until we actually start the dungeon (probably tomorrow) feel free to change your mind about certain things and choose different items/training - and discuss amongst yourselves what's best for the party.

Also, there is the possibility of finding magic weapons in this larger quest which can add +1 to weapon skill, toughness, strength, etc.