The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Welp, I guess I'll roll up my sleeves and give it the old rogues' college try.

Assuming it's the same roll as previously, that's 13 + 6 + 4 for 23 total.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:06 pm

You've never tried a lock so complex, and despite your best efforts you find yourself unable to get it open, though you're sure you were close. You don't like to blame your tools, but you think the only thing that will get through this lock is a set of mastercrafted picks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Ok, well, perhaps we'll revisit this later then. Maybe that's something we can ask Clara to source, or a merchant somewhere in town sells them.

I feel like I've done about as much here as I can and don't really want to push things further. I'll drag the unconscious guard back out to the other side of the portcullis (which I close again). I'll also leave a note pinned to his chest, that reads: "Whoops, sorry matey, I'll make it up to you later - Fitz"

Then, as sneakily as I can I'll go back towards the entrance and see if there's an obvious/easy route out while I wait for Sage to get in touch.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:16 pm

The good news is that there's nobody on the way to the entrance to inconvenience you. The bad news is that the entrance portcullis is closed with the two guards you fake-vomited on still posted outside.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 pm

At this point I think I'm torn between Sage's diversion plan and simply hiding myself somewhere in here for when they come by tomorrow. I might lurk near the entrance while I await his call.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:26 pm

Okay, so you stay in the shadows until the hour is up.

Over to you, Sage.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Sage to Slythe, are you in peril? Do you need me to cause a little mischief or wanton destruction? You have 25 words to respond.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:28 pm
Sage to Slythe, are you in peril? Do you need me to cause a little mischief or wanton destruction? You have 25 words to respond.
Safe, but escape difficult as exit guarded. Maybe easier to hide here until heist? Distraction may not lure guards away. Got safe combination reset notes.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:43 pm

Oh the distraction will lure the guards away.

Wrath, is there likely to be any decent sized crowds of people anywhere near the entrance to the fort? I disguised as an old pirate and went to the closest bar I could find when Slythe and I parted ways.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Ok, I'm going to hang around near the entrance for now and see what happens.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:43 pm
Oh the distraction will lure the guards away.

Wrath, is there likely to be any decent sized crowds of people anywhere near the entrance to the fort? I disguised as an old pirate and went to the closest bar I could find when Slythe and I parted ways.
Not exactly - there would presumably be a large number of pirates inside the fort, but aside from that and the vault underneath it, there isn't much to draw a crowd on Blood Island.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:00 pm

Right, I'm going to try and infiltrate the fort by walking through the main gate and waving my skull and crossbow token which we used last time. Then I'll try and find a gathering of at least 12 pirates.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:05 pm

You manage it without issue - security is not tight in the fort and with your token on show nobody pays you much attention. There is a group of pirates in a barracks grouped together, maybe 15, some drinking and gambling, others sleeping.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:10 pm

Sage bangs his staff loudly on the furniture to get their attention and wake the sleepers up before shouting at them.

"Look at you all, little pups following orders and working for the man. Have you all forgotten what it means to be real pirates!? Back in my day we took what we wanted and didn't answer to no 'High Captain'. Anarchy! That's the true calling of a pirate!"

And I cast Mass Suggestion on twelve of them.

"Anarchy I tells ya! Now, go start rioting and looting! And resist arrest! Be your own men for a change!"

Then I slink away into a quiet corner outside and hide in the shadows.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 pm

I rolled wisdom saving throws for all 12 of them and not a single one succeeded. :o

Twelve pirates grab their cutlasses and rapiers and run out the door shouting and hollering anti-establisment sentiments in a highly piratical manner. The remaining three go back to sleep. You head outside and see the twelve in the courtyard overturning barrels, running amok and causing a ruckus. One of them tries to set fire to a palm tree. You watch as a guard heads up from the short entrance tunnel to the vault (Slythe would also see this) and shouts "Tymora's tits, what's all this?!" Nobody gives him a satisfactory answer, and when he goes to acost one of them they punch him square in the nose. There is a chorus of cheers and the other guard from the vault runs up to see what's occurring. He doesn't stop to ask questions. He runs back to the vault gate, unlocks it and from the entrance hall shouts "Lads! Hoy, get out 'ere, there's bother and wotnot! Gonna need some help!"

Slythe, if you wish to escape, this is your opportunity.