The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Mantis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:38 pm

I am an agent of chaos.

I had a far more dramatic and destructive phase 2 planned, but I think that achieved a pretty satisfactory result. Sage uses the fuss to quietly slink back to Captain Brighteyes' establishment.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:40 pm

I cast disguise self so I no longer look like Fitz but a random nondescript pirate, and dash out. At a suitable juncture I hide then sneak back to Jeff and Clara.

That went surprisingly well :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Yep, nicely done. The incident with the guard being rendered unconscious could have got a bit hairy had it failed, but otherwise pretty smooth!

Slythe, assuming you enquire about mastercrafted lockpicks, Clara knows of a 24 hour fence (basically every shop in Luskan is a fence) that sells exceptional thieving tools under the counter for a tidy sum. Just head there with a discrete sack of 500gp (non-negotiable), hand it over and say that your laundry is especially dirty on Sundays. Apparently the High Captains banned him from making and selling his lockpicks after an incident involving an owlbear, several barrels of grog and an unlocked palace gate.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:57 pm

:lol:

Yup, happy to cough that up for the tools.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:01 pm

I tell Clara to make sure that an entire keg of ale is poured all over Fitz before they dump him in an alleyway somewhere.

Once everyone has done any other little bits they want to get out of the way for the evening I will wait until the early hours and cast Dream on Beniago.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:13 pm

Slythe - the fence takes your money, and without saying anything he goes and locks the entrance. He then slowly and methodically counts the money, still silent. When he is satisfied that all the gold is there, he removes a floorboard from behind the counter, reaches into a nook and retrieves a black velvet sleeve which he hands to you. When you open it there is a full set of gleaming metal picks with stylish bone handles.

“Made of mithril,” he explains. “Means they can be extremely fine yet extremely strong. And dragonbone handles to ensure a firm but delicate grip. There’s nary a lock these won’t open in the right hands.” He goes to unlock the door. “Just so’s we’re clear, we never met and you didn’t get these from me.”

(In game terms, there’s no particular item in DNDBeyond to add, but when using them you have advantage on all lockpicking checks.)

Sage - I’ll handle the Dream in the morning. Fitz is duly doused and dumped, the poor bastard. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:17 pm

He'll be really glad I left that note on the guard I knocked out :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:59 am

I rolled a 3 for waking up, so Charr continues snoozing, I assume.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:37 am

Depends if Sage casts Dream on you. ;)

Speaking of which, Sage - what manner of nightmare fuel would you like to deploy in shaping Beniago's dream?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 am

I would like the Captain to wake up within his dream, in bed in his quarters, to find his deceased wife stood at the foot of his bed. She looks as close to her likeness as I can get from the description and sketch I saw of her, only her face is sheet white and she looks gaunt and drained of life. Once Beniago interacts with her she will, without speaking, raise a finger to her lips to shush him before slowly walking out of the room and beckoning him to follow.

Assuming he follows her I will make her lead him through a deserted Luskan into the vaults right up to his high security safe which she raises an arm in place and stays pointing at it. Hopefully he takes the bait and enters his combination, which I assume I can observe? I'm not technically there but I should hopefully be able to kind of Freddy Krueger it and see everything that's happening.

When he's opened his vault is when I'll hit him with the nightmare (wisdom save DC 17). The vault opens onto a hellish landscape as if walking through a portal. An enormous arm reaches through and snatches Beniago and he finds himself face to face with a Demogorgon which bellows demonic laughter as it slowly squeezes his body to pulp.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:45 am

:shock:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 am

8-[

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 am

As the messenger in the dream, you would be able to see everything going on within it. So as Beniago is led (petrified) to the safe and the ghostly form of Marie-Anne beckons for him to unlock it, you see him do so with shaking hands: right 38, left 44, right 17. The bolt clunks, but before he opens it he pauses and says with apparent contrition, "Marie-Anne, my love... I never intended... You know what's in there can't change anything, otherwise you'd still be by my side, alive and not in this... this form. Forgive me."

You (acting as his wife in the dream) beckon for him to open the safe door, and eventually he does. As it slowly groans open, he is unable to resist the nightmare you seed in his mind (he rolled a 7) and the hellscape before him is revealed. Demogorgon snatches him and thrashes him around like a rag doll, cackling manically from both hideous heads as he crushes the High Captain. When Beniago's screams reach a crescendo above the sickening noise of cracking bones, the dream ends.

Don't let the bed bugs bite, and all that. :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:42 am

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 am