Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:21 pm
Another level up question, when you poison an enemy, it says the effect lasts until the end of my next turn... does that mean it reapplies the poison damage again on my next turn (so twice in total)?
It might depend on the exact wording, but it sounds like if it does damage when the effect takes place and on the enemy’s turn then it would cause damage twice. Worth noting that poison damage and the Poisoned condition are different things (the condition I think gives you disadvantage on certain things).
Cool, it would be good to confirm, as if it is indeed the former I'd take the feat, if the latter probably not. The exact wording is:
You can prepare and deliver deadly poisons, granting you the following benefits:

- When you make a damage roll that deals poison damage, it ignores resistance to poison damage.
- You can apply poison to a weapon or piece of ammunition as a bonus action, instead of an action.
- You gain proficiency with the Poisoner's Kit if you don’t already have it. With one hour of work using a poisoner’s kit and expending 50 gp worth of materials, you can create a number of doses of potent poison equal to your proficiency bonus. Once applied to a weapon or piece of ammunition, the poison retains its potency for 1 minute or until you hit with the weapon or ammunition. When a creature takes damage from the coated weapon or ammunition, that creature must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or take 2d8 poison damage and become poisoned until the end of your next turn.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 pm

I think you're onto something there. David Dickinson does seem to spend a lot of his time delving into ancient chests searching for lost and forgotten knowledge and relics. :-k

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:37 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:28 pm
You can prepare and deliver deadly poisons, granting you the following benefits:

- When you make a damage roll that deals poison damage, it ignores resistance to poison damage.
- You can apply poison to a weapon or piece of ammunition as a bonus action, instead of an action.
- You gain proficiency with the Poisoner's Kit if you don’t already have it. With one hour of work using a poisoner’s kit and expending 50 gp worth of materials, you can create a number of doses of potent poison equal to your proficiency bonus. Once applied to a weapon or piece of ammunition, the poison retains its potency for 1 minute or until you hit with the weapon or ammunition. When a creature takes damage from the coated weapon or ammunition, that creature must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or take 2d8 poison damage and become poisoned until the end of your next turn.
Right, so the enemy would take poison damage only once, when the attack hits, and then they would have the Poisoned condition until the end of your next turn, which imposes disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks. Still a decent feat.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:37 pm
Right, so the enemy would take poison damage only once, when the attack hits, and then they would have the Poisoned condition until the end of your next turn, which imposes disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks. Still a decent feat.
Cheers, that does sound good actually :D

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 pm

An extra 2d8 on all your basic attacks for a minute with resistance negation is pretty potent.

I went for the constitution buff. I was going to pick the alert feat for the initiative bonus and because it made sense that Sage might be a little less easy to sneak up on now he essentially doesn't need to sleep. But having less than 100 health really felt like too much of a risk, particularly given that last encounter.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:43 am

How are we looking for Thursday?

I think we may be heading into the final few sessions of the campaign now - I'd guess between 2 and 5. Once all the major stuff has been resolved, we'll have a montage where you can describe broadly what you see happening to your character in the future (assuming they survive), so maybe have a think about what you'd like to happen there. Forget rules or limitations, these are the legends that will be set down throughout the Forgotten Realms. Probably a fair assumption that you'd all stay at least loosely together as a group for a while so that we have the option of one-shots in the future. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:29 am

Thursday good for me!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 am

Good for me too.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Yup, I'm good with Thursday.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:47 pm

I'd be interested to know when this is all over just exactly how far some of these plot points were planned in advance and how much was just continuously reacting on the fly to what we do.

=D>

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 pm

This particular case is an odd one, because while I’d had Belmaphet’s motivations and various schemes in my head and adapting to your actions throughout the entire game (and was conscious of Torm’s thoughts on the matter), the idea to have a trial and for Asmodeus to leap on the opportunity literally only came to me when you arrived back at the Umansionable at the end of the last game. I was laying those tracks as they happened. :lol: I had in no way considered the possibility that Belmaphet would be captured, let alone turned into a chair, and I suddenly realised that Torm would want to speak with him, then just as suddenly realised that Asmodeus would exploit the breaking of his decree against Belmaphet returning home.

This is the absolute fun of being a DM, and it’s a privilege to have players who run with my hairbrained ideas and give as good as they get.

EDIT - I’d envisaged from early in the game that the Big Finale could be Belmaphet finding a way to lead an invasion of Mount Celestia. As always, these things never quite work out as expected. ;)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:01 pm

All good for Thursday?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Yup

Raid
Local