The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:45 pm

To be honest, I've killed so many heads of the paladin order by this point that I imagine they'd think I was messing with them.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:44 pm
Considering how trustworthy his allies have been for pretty much the entire campaign, I'm not sure that Sage will feel particularly inclined to tell them about his new powers. :lol:

I think that as a group we've reached the point now where we can pretty much do anything and people just shrug their shoulders. We saved the world so many times that they just tolerate us.
We're definitely getting more arched eyebrows and side-eye than we were getting before....

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 pm

Got to say Wrath, that session turned from something utterly ridiculous to something really epic. That's the first fight in a long time where I've felt like this was an "Oh crap, this is it, fight on or campaign over for me" moment. Considering it all started on a whim about a year and a half ago when you gave us a bunch of lich textbooks and I got the idea that Sage would latch onto them, thanks for entertaining the whole premise and working it all out.

Now, in my downtime I can relax and finally appreciate the subtle and niche humorous writings of "Lich Please!".

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:06 pm

What about 'No Skin Please, We're Liches'?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 pm

First point of order will be "Grave Concerns, an Undead Study".

Sorry I killed your babies Raid. Sly did give me the nod though!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:13 am

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 pm
Got to say Wrath, that session turned from something utterly ridiculous to something really epic. That's the first fight in a long time where I've felt like this was an "Oh crap, this is it, fight on or campaign over for me" moment. Considering it all started on a whim about a year and a half ago when you gave us a bunch of lich textbooks and I got the idea that Sage would latch onto them, thanks for entertaining the whole premise and working it all out.

Now, in my downtime I can relax and finally appreciate the subtle and niche humorous writings of "Lich Please!".
:)

Cheers, it’s been an entertaining process! As soon as the lich stuff started, I’d wondered how Ygorl would respond to it since cheating death is essentially a mockery of entropy and everything he stands for, and when Asmodeus started poking his fingers in the pie it felt like the right time to work out a direct confrontation. This is why I love D&D - none of that was really planned far in advance, and the direction it took naturally culminated into something I hope was a satisfying conclusion to that arc.

Oh, and yeah, Ygorl was 100% trying to end you in that fight. :lol: I’d decided that if anyone else died then they’d be able to be resuscitated, but Sage’s soul would have been destroyed. There had to be some significant risk to going through with becoming a lich and defying the Lord of Entropy,

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:20 am

It was a sound strategy calling in Truss first, none of us would have been able to tank that first round of attacks the way he did :shock:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:25 am

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 pm

Sorry I killed your babies Raid. Sly did give me the nod though!
Don't worry, Charr will have noted that and I'm sure he'll only hold it against you both if we come across a situation where 300 spell-slinging babies would have come in useful. With his increasingly warped mind I think you'll discover that those situations are disturbingly frequent.

Incidentally I'm not sure how Charr will react to Sage's newfound lichdom, assuming he actually finds out. I suspect it'll end up as jealously, not for the whole being an undead monster thing, but for Sage having a secret path to untold power and immortality. He won't like being one-upped like that.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am

Charr is basically a dragon at this point though, so at least he's got that to fall back on.
Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:13 am
This is why I love D&D - none of that was really planned far in advance, and the direction it took naturally culminated into something I hope was a satisfying conclusion to that arc.
Very much so, definitely one of my top DnD moments I've had. It just came so out of the blue, after all our discussion about how the process of completing the ritual worked I was kind of just expecting it to work without a hitch. So to wake up in the abyss facing a seriously angry former patron who wants to utterly obliterate you was quite a shock. :lol:

It was a learning experience for sure, one for Sage's memoirs I think which has the tentative title "All Lich, No Hitch".

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:46 am
Charr is basically a dragon at this point though, so at least he's got that to fall back on.
Oh as a player I'm perfectly happy with Charr's power level, but as a character he's getting a bit power hungry now that we're routinely taking down ancient dragons and personifications of entropy.

I think he's one badly worded wish away from the climax of Disney's Aladdin.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am

I like to think that Slythe's state of mind at this point is a slowly building horror/stupefaction at recent events and the party's spellcasters' increasing power.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 am

I forgot to mention one more lich feature, which is that Sage no longer requires sleep to gain the benefits of a long rest, but still needs to meditate for 4 hours to draw power from the devoured souls stored in his phylactery.
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am
I like to think that Slythe's state of mind at this point is a slowly building horror/stupefaction at recent events and the party's spellcasters' increasing power.
Don't worry, I have some ideas for things revolving around Slythe. ;)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:43 am

8-[

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Don't worry Slythe, us casters are equally mystified about how you command people, remove their possessions and turn entirely impervious to perception without burning through a spell slot.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:51 pm

:lol: