The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:16 pm

On the matter of training out of hours or studying etc. that was briefly mentioned in the session.

Would it be possible for Sage to study his books on teleportation, scrying and planar travel over a period of time in order to then spend more time and resources crafting a relevant magical item? I've had a look at some basic crafting rules from the DMG and Xanathar's and it'd be cool if we could work in something like that where I was able to create a level appropriate item.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Absolutely - let’s assume that you’ll spend an hour or two a day when resting to work on your research. The amount of work required and any necessary materials would depend on what item you’re trying to create.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Going by the basic rules for minimum levels, the most I could make right now would be a rare item costing 5000gp. And looking at the item list, that would be something like the helm of teleportation. So I'd probably aim for something similar unless we could modify characteristics and spells a bit to add/remove features. At the very least I'd reskin it to be a ring or amulet with the same properties (3 teleports on a recharge daily).

Incidentally, I looked at my equipment when I leveled up and remembered I have that alchemy jug. Could I use the daily charges on it to fill up a container to sell whatever liquid of choice to people? We don't really have a reliable way of making any cash at the moment!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:13 am

Yeah, I’m open to a homebrew item being made - let me know the details when you’ve got them and we’ll figure out a timeframe. And selling suspicious liquids to unsuspecting people is entirely your prerogative. :lol: It can produce 2 gallons of mayonnaise a day - you could be the Hellman’s of Neverwinter!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:03 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 pm
Going by the basic rules for minimum levels, the most I could make right now would be a rare item costing 5000gp. And looking at the item list, that would be something like the helm of teleportation. So I'd probably aim for something similar unless we could modify characteristics and spells a bit to add/remove features. At the very least I'd reskin it to be a ring or amulet with the same properties (3 teleports on a recharge daily).

Incidentally, I looked at my equipment when I leveled up and remembered I have that alchemy jug. Could I use the daily charges on it to fill up a container to sell whatever liquid of choice to people? We don't really have a reliable way of making any cash at the moment!
¬_______________¬

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:05 am

:lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:05 am

Also, some nice choices for me on this level up... have spent the morning umming and ahhing over some of the available feats, but in the end plumped for just being a bit boring and maxing out my dexterity, feels like a good all-rounder as opposed to something more situational.

Also took the opportunity to freshen up my spells a bit and there's one in particular I'm very much looking forward to using the next time we're in combat.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:51 am

Likewise. None of the other feats really fit my characters theme so I went for a straight up wisdom increase.

From looking up the sale value of the jugs contents, assuming I sold everything at say half the price you'd pay in stores, I could feasibly sell 2 vials of acid to make 24 gold a day! Would just need to actually find a reliable customer.

Odd that adventuring gear is so expensive when you only need 10 gold a day to be considered aristocratic.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:09 am

I once looked into the economics of D&D worlds. That way lies madness.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:12 am

There were a few feats that fit Charr, notably the Flames of Phlegethos which sounds great... but the chances of me remembering to use the reroll are slim. I also considered delving into the Magic Initiate feats, but I already have enough cantrips and most of the first level spells would be replicating stuff I can already do. I too went for the ability scores, because I'm jealous of everyone's ridiculously high modifiers.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm not really sure what else to add for flavour so I think just making a reskinned teleportation helm would be a fun start, I'd just make it as a ring.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:53 pm

I think we may need to skip this week as I’ve too much work to do. Not had chance to do the recap yet! :?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21 am

No worries, I've been sent off on work and likely won't be around for most of the week now anyway.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:07 am

Apologies for the lateness of the recap - it's been a crazy week.
Keen to avoid an unintentional dwarven civil war, the Unmentionables set about obtaining a truth serum to make candidate Uril Frostmail publicly spill the beans about his ploy to murder his opponent, Raina Brightmaster. Full of good intentions, Slythe, Charr and Hamfist headed to the museum and menagerie of Durnar Stoutheart, a retired adventurer and Underdark explorer, to ask if he knew of any Underdark flora to produce a suitable serum. Meanwhile, Sage sent Raven to track the movements and activities of Uril.

Durnar was pleased to have visitors and began a rambling tour of his treasures and curiosities collected over many years of adventuring, but he was cut short as Slythe and Charr insisted they were in a rush to find suitable flora. Durnar led them to a small garden of fungi of many colours, shapes and sizes, and suggested that a tongue-shaped mushroom – a Tongue of Madness – would cause someone to speak aloud every thought they had for half a day. The party accepted his offer of sale and Durnar hurried off to prepare several delivery materials, including a liquid form, a solid form and a cream.

The party took the opportunity to explore the museum, and within scant seconds Hamfist began assaulting a giant, taxidermied kuo-toa warrior, while Slythe discovered and attempted to pilfer a giant blue diamond in a display case. Durnar found them examining the diamond and explained that it had been presented to him by the svirfneblin of Blingdenstone after saving them from a drow raid, and it was one of his most treasured possessions. Touched by this moving tale of heroism, Slythe enquired as to the locking mechanism which secured the display case, and Durnar helpfully unlocked it and offered for him to feel the impressive weight of the gemstone. As Durnar was momentarily distracted by Hamfist devastating various displays, Slythe pocketed the diamond and left an illusory gem in the display case.

Before the party could nonchalantly leave the elderly, heroic dwarf in peace minus his most precious belonging, he called out to them to wait a moment. He explained how he had guessed their purpose regarding the election, and that ultimately the dwarven Great Clans would not be swayed by the truth of the situation but by the glory they believed their leader would sow. King Bruenor, he continued, was loved not because he was shrewd or just or cunning, but because he forged a path of glory for the dwarves that would be remembered in legend. Durnar suggested that if the party could somehow convince the Great Clans that King Bruenor had chosen a successor from beyond the grave, that candidate would be the irrefutable choice and would inspire loyalty for generations. The party thanked Durnar for his advice and departed with his stolen diamond and a carefree whistle.

The party briefly returned to Raina’s workshop to regroup with Sage, who informed them that Raven had followed Uril to Zigi’s tavern, where Uril had bought the assistance of Zigi and his mercenaries. With a few hours to spare before the vote, Sage wandered through the halls of Gauntlgrym to find a suitable place to dispose of the decomposing corpse of the pirate that had been polymorphed in Port Llast (now nestled away in the void of the bag of holding). He found a forge with an open molten lava pit and attempted to discretely unload the body. Unfortunately, the body got stuck at the shoulders while being yanked out of the bag, and the smithy took note and hurried over. Sage explained that he’d just discovered a horrible corpse in his brand new bag of holding which he’d purchased, and somehow managed to convince the smithy to allow him to rent his lava space for some temporary dead-pirate storage. Free of incriminating evidence, Sage quickly returned to the party.

The party devised a plan and headed to Moradin’s throne room where the vote was about to commence. The heads of the ten Great Clans gathered in the presence of King Bruenor’s body, lain in state, and the Overseer, Bori Flamebeard, asked if anyone would speak before the vote. Uril Frostmail told of how Prince Brandon had been murdered in a blood ritual by the drow, and that they must pay for their actions with an immediate assault on the Underdark. Raina insisted that such an assault would be suicide, and Prince Brandon would have died for nothing. She maintained that sealing the Underdark entrance for good and focusing on improving relations with the surface cities would serve Gauntlgrym far better in the long term.

As the vote was about to commence, Charr surreptitiously sent a spectral hand which removed the crown from King Bruenor’s head and bore it aloft to the astonishment of the crowd. Slythe produced a spectral glow around the body and Sage sent pillars of flame which erupted from the braziers either side of the King. Enraptured by this apparent display from their beloved King, the dwarves watched as the crown slowly moved through the air and settled firmly above Raina’s head. One by one, the Great Clans knelt and solemnly declared their support for Raina. When only Uril remained, he shed a tear and quietly conveyed that he was wrong, and that he would follow the wisdom of King Bruenor. With that, he too knelt and hailed Raina Brightmaster as Queen of Gauntlgrym.

So it was that the Unmentionables turned a day of political machinations, grand larceny and corpse disposal into their most heroic success to date. Whether it would be enough to counter the apocalyptic demonic invasion they had inadvertently set in motion remained to be seen…

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 am

Thanks for that once again :)

Next week Monday, Tuesday or Friday for me, as we've got my mum staying for a couple of nights and I'll need to be around to entertain.