The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's personal

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm interested in seeing how Slythe manages to somehow wind up on the exact same quest but with a completely new band of rookie adventurers.

Isn't it going to basically be impossible to balance encounters when one member of the party is so far ahead in levels?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Wednesday works for me, though I'm going to need a bit of guidance into how this all works methinks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 am

Mantis wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 pm
I'm interested in seeing how Slythe manages to somehow wind up on the exact same quest but with a completely new band of rookie adventurers.

Isn't it going to basically be impossible to balance encounters when one member of the party is so far ahead in levels?
There will be some imbalance, but I think it’ll be more that Slythe one-shots some enemies while the rest of you struggle on. The DM’s guide covers it and the advice is more or less don’t worry about it, it should self-correct. From a role-playing perspective I quite like the idea of a grizzled veteran (/ kleptomaniac / casual murderer) suddenly being lumbered with a bunch of nobodies. Also it’s worth remembering that in game time it was about 2 to 3 days ago that he was level 1 - you guys levelled up fast! :lol: After level 5 I think that should slow down a bit.

Raid, I’ll post some guidance later today.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:24 am

I'm going to make my character now before I pop out.

Are we doing milestone story based or XP character based progression? The D&D Beyond default character creation allows for human and elf variants, aasimar and tieflings too; are we avoiding those and just making use of the races from the printed players handbook? Wouldn't mind trying Tiefling out, never played anything other than the basic races before.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Right, some info on basics of how to play, how to roll a character and the tools we'll be using.

How to play
Spoiler
We'll be using 5th edition D&D, which is by far the easiest edition for beginners to jump into but can also be as complex as you want it to be. As an example of how easy it can be, I ran a one-off adventure this Christmas for some family, including my 8 and 10 year old nieces, and it went smoothly from the get-go. In basic terms, I describe the scene, you tell me what you want to do, and sometimes I'll ask you to roll a dice to see if you're successful. If that's the only thing you know about the rules, you can play D&D. Obviously there are lots more rules than that as evidenced by the wall of text below, but you don't need to understand them from the start - I can explain them if and when they become relevant.

These are some things that will come up frequently:

Skill checks - These are D&D bread and butter. When you attempt to do something doesn't necessarily have a guaranteed outcome, I may ask for a skill check to see if (or how well) you succeed. For example, if you try to jump across a wide chasm then I may ask for an athletics check; if you try to decipher some mystic runes then I may ask for an arcana check. Your character has a list of skills, each with a modifier (e.g. +2, -1, +5, etc), and all you do is roll a 20-sided die (a d20) and add the modifier for the relevant skill. I measure the total against the difficulty class (DC) that I've decided it has to meet.

Let's say you want to bluff your way past a guard by telling him an outright lie, like you have urgent confidential information for the castle's baron and the fate of the land depends on it. I'll ask for a deception check, and while I'd normally put the DC at 15 for such a blatant trick, I decide to drop it to 12 because of your impassioned plea to the guard. You roll a d20 and get a 10, then add your +4 deception modifier for a total of 14, which means you've successfully convinced the guard to let you pass. If it had failed, the guard may have asked for some proof of what you're saying, or if it failed by a huge margin then he may have simply tried to arrest you.

Combat - Outside of combat, there is no fixed order in which events happen or players take turns - it all happens fluidly. In combat, everything happens in fixed turns. When combat begins, everyone rolls initiative to determine the order of turns. To do this, roll a d20 and add your dexterity modifier. I do the same for the enemies, and the highest initiative goes first and continues in descending order.

On your turn you can do three things: You can move up to your speed (for most characters this will be 25ft or 30ft), you can take one action and one bonus action. Actions include making an attack, casting a spell, grappling someone or dashing up to twice your speed. Bonus actions are different to actions - they are not interchangeable. They are smaller/shorter tasks which include casting certain spells and using various character options (e.g. raging for a barbarian, hiding for a rogue). Thankfully in your character sheet in dndbeyond, actions and bonus actions are listed separately to make it easy to see what you can and can't do in a turn.

Your movement, action and bonus action can be done in any order, and you can split your movement as needed (e.g. move 10ft, cast a spell, move 20ft somewhere else, use a bonus action). You can skip any part of your turn if you want to. There are also free actions, which are usually role-playing things like insisting that the enemies surrender (which may result in a skill check to see if they do), or giving a witty post-mortem one-liner.

Finally, you don't always have to stick to the list of standard actions. This is D&D - if you think of something inventive or unusual in combat, such as jumping on a chandelier to try and drop it on someone's head, the answer is always that if it's possible then you can certainly try. Usually it will involve some form of skill check.

Making an attack - To attack an enemy, you tell me who you're attacking then roll a d20 and add your attack modifier for the weapon you're using. If the total is the same or higher than the target's armour class (AC) then it hits. On a hit, you then roll damage, which is listed next to the weapon on your character sheet.

If you were attacking with this longsword, your attack roll would be d20 +6, and on a hit you'd roll 1d8 +3 damage (i.e. roll an eight-sided die and add 3). You don't need to understand the details of these figures, but if you're curious then +6 comes from the character's strength modifier of +3 (since it's a melee weapon, whereas a ranged weapon or a melee weapon with the finesse property would use dexterity) plus their proficiency bonus of +3 (which is added because they're proficient with this type of weapon). The damage of 1d8 is defined by the weapon, and the +3 is the strength modifier (again, if it was a ranged or finesse weapon then it would be dexterity).

Casting spells - Every spell is unique and the spell description describes how they work. Many offensive spells require either a spell attack roll, which works similarly to attacking with a weapon, or a saving throw from the targets which must meet your spell save DC. These are both listed at the top of the spells tab on your character sheet.

Health, being unconscious and death - If your character's hit points (HP, or health) drops to zero, you fall unconscious. Any damage past zero is not tracked - i.e. you don't record negative HP. The best way to help someone unconscious is to give them healing - they will regain consciousness with the number of HP healed and can rejoin the fight. The next best way is to stabilise them. On each of your turns while you're unconscious you roll a death save. This is a simple d20 roll where 10 or more counts as a success and 9 or less counts as a failure. When you have three successes, you are stable, which means you remain unconscious but you're in no immediate danger of dying. If you reach three death save failures, you die. You also die if you're unconscious and you take damage from a single hit that does equal to or higher damage than your hit point maximum, but that's not likely anytime soon! Other players can attempt to stabilise an unconscious character by using their action to make a medicine check, which must total 10 or higher.
Creating a character
Spoiler
This process should be MUCH easier than we did it last time. ;) We'll be using dndbeyond as it is the official resource and for the most part is easy to use and generally excellent:

www.dndbeyond.com

Once you've created an account, on the toolbar go to Characters | Character Builder:

There are two options: Standard and Quick Build. Standard is what I'd recommend, but Quick Build is good in that it will generate a character from choosing literally just the race, the class and a name. From there you can modify anything as required, so if the whole process seems overwhelming then Quick Build might be the best option. For this, I'll go through the Standard option though - I'd also suggest ticking the Show Help Text box.

Home
This screen has basic settings for your character. Enter a name at the top, and also a portrait if you want one. Everything else can be left as default. Click the arrow to the right to continue.

Race
Choose a race for your character. Each race has various abilities and bonuses to stats. If you're unsure what would work best with a particular class then you can either ask me or, more importantly, just choose the race you want to be!

Some classes will ask you to choose some extra options, such as a known language or a cantrip (a low-level spell). Anything that requires your input is highlighted blue.

This example is for a High Elf, and they get to choose a cantrip and another language.

Class
Choose your class. Again, if you need any help then ask away, otherwise go with what you want. There are no restrictions between race and class.

Once you've chosen your class, you will have some more features to choose. These include proficiencies, which are skills that you are good at. Anything that you're proficient in gets your proficiency bonus (this starts at +2 and gradually gets higher as you level up). This is added automatically, so you don't need to worry about it.

If your character can cast spells, there will be a Spells tab next to the Class Features tab. Leave this for now, as it is dependent on the next screen. (Also note that some classes like the Ranger or Paladin don't get spells until higher levels.)

Hit points are also managed here, but we'll stick to fixed HP increases when you level up so this can be ignored.

Sly - you can set your level here to 5, which will give you a bunch of features to set. Give me a shout if you've any problems. Also, if you want to change anything from what you had before, that's fine.

Abilities
This is where you enter your core ability scores: strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom and charisma. Most other stats are derived from these.

Click the dropdown box at the top and choose Manual, which means you enter them manually. Now to do some rolling. There's a handy dice roller at https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

Roll 4d6 (four six-sided dice), drop the lowest number and add the rest together. Repeat five more times until you have six numbers. If they're all pretty crap (e.g. none higher than 14), scrap them all and start again. The rule of thumb is that you get one re-roll, but I'm not going to be too strict and this is ultimately done on trust. :) Ideally you want at least one or two scores at 15 or higher, and if you have a couple of utter duff numbers then that has potential for some comedy moments.

Once you have your six numbers, enter them at the top of the screen however you see fit. Every class has at least one ability score which is core to them, so if you're unsure then ask away. Also note that any bonuses from your race are added automatically, so just enter the scores as rolled.

Back to the Class screen
If your character has spells, the number you know or can cast may be affected by your ability scores, which is why it's better to go back at this point. If you can't cast spells yet, skip to the next section.

Go to the Spells tab on the Class screen and click the bottom option (most likely Add Spells or Known Spells).

The screenshot is for a wizard, but it will be slightly different for each class. I find the best way to start is filter by level 0 (cantrips), and choose as many as you're allowed (indicated at the top). Level 1 spells and above are a bit more complex. Again, it depends on class, but generally a character will have known spells and prepared spells. Known spells are just that - spells that you know how to cast. Prepared spells are a set number of spells you prepare each day from your list of known spells. So here's the level 1 rundown for each class:

Bard - Add 4 known spells. Bards don't need to prepare spells, they just cast a certain number of known spells every day.

Cleric - Knows ALL spells for each level, and prepares a certain amount (indicated at the top of the Known Spells section).

Druid - Same as the cleric.

Sorcerer - Add 2 known spells. Like bards, sorcerers don't prepare, they just cast a certain amount of spells each day.

Warlock - Add 2 known spells. Warlocks are weird but powerful. Spellcasting is more complex, so let me know if anyone chooses it.

Wizard - Add 6 known spells. Go to the Spellbook section and prepare a certain amount (indicated at the top of that section).

Description
This screen lets you choose a background for your character, which may give you extra bonuses such as additional skill proficiencies or languages.

Expand the Suggested Characteristics section. These describe your character's personality, ideals, bonds and flaws. You can choose from the suggested list (which is determined by your background) or enter your own in the Personal Characteristics section at the bottom of the screen.

Expand the Character Details section and choose your alignment. I take the view that alignment should not be a restriction on what you do, but more an indicator of what the character feels they are or aspires to be. It's a guide, not a rule. If you persistently choose to do things that directly contradict your alignment, I may suggest an alignment change, but ultimately I don't think it's especially vital in 5th edition.

If you have a faith archetype in mind, I can suggest a deity to follow. Or make one up, and then watch as NPCs insist that your god isn't real! :)

Lifestyle again is an indicator, not a rule, as to your character's living standards.

Physical characteristics are whatever you want them to be - enter or ignore as you wish.

The Notes section lets you enter anything else you feel is important or noteworthy.

Equipment
Under Starting Equipment, click EQUIPMENT. You then get a list of options to choose from - feel free to choose as you wish, then click the Add Starting Equipment button at the bottom.

Click Inventory to view a list of your stuff. IMPORTANT - You'll need to click the Wear or Wield button next to all the armour and weapons you want to use. That way your armour class and weapon stats are all worked out automatically.

What's next
That's it! On this screen, click View Character Sheet to view your finished character.
I'll post an overview of the character sheet and some details about Roll20 this afternoon.
Last edited by Wrathbone on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:24 am
Are we doing milestone story based or XP character based progression? The D&D Beyond default character creation allows for human and elf variants, aasimar and tieflings too; are we avoiding those and just making use of the races from the printed players handbook? Wouldn't mind trying Tiefling out, never played anything other than the basic races before.
Covered now in the above post, but we're doing milestone progression (makes much more sense with 5th edition), and feel free to choose whatever race you want!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Annoyingly, the free D&DB account doesn't give me access to all the class features that my class should have. :evil:

Edit:

Figured I'd just buy the Player Handbook again to unlock it all, I really cannot be bothered to keep the character sheet manually. $22.50 with the coupon code PAXSOUTH19 if anyone else is interested.

Might start taking my iPad to sessions and keeping all my characters on DnD B now that I've got the full rule set and features available.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Done, and thanks for that helpful writeup. Are character sheets private or does everyone get to look at everyone else's?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Done, and thanks for that helpful writeup. Are character sheets private or does everyone get to look at everyone else's?
No problem! If you want to keep your character sheet private then message me the link.
Annoyingly, the free D&DB account doesn't give me access to all the class features that my class should have. :evil:
Sorry, forgot to say that the free account, while still pretty thorough, doesn't have every option for every class. Nice that you bought the player's handbook, though! :D

Some more details:

Character Sheet

When you're done creating your character, at the top-right of the character sheet is a Share button - please post or message me a link to your character sheet when you're ready.
Spoiler

Here's an example character sheet for a dwarf cleric. This is more of a reference guide, so don't feel like you need to read the whole thing.

The first thing to note is that clicking on pretty much any part of it will show more info and guidance.

Across the top there are the core attributes (strength, dex, etc). Each attribute has the modifier at the top and the actual score in the oval beneath it. Next to this you have your proficiency bonus (which is automatically added to anything you're proficient in) and your walking speed, which is the distance you can cover in one round of combat.

Inspiration is something I can award you for exceptionally roleplaying to your character even to your detriment. When you have inspiration, you can spend it on any attack, saving throw or skill check to roll another d20 and take the higher value. The inspiration is then gone. I don't want to codify the rules around it too much - basically, if it seems appropriate I'll dish out the inspiration.

At the top-right is your health / hit points. You can enter a number in the box and click Heal or Damage as required. If you fall unconscious you can also record death saves here.

Down the left side you have your saving throws. These are used in response to something that happens - e.g. if someone throws a fireball at the party, I'd ask everyone in the area to roll a dexterity saving throw to see how it affects them. These work like skill checks - just roll a d20 and add the relevant saving throw.

The senses section is of more use to me than you. Your passive perception, investigation and insight scores are what you notice without actively trying - e.g. if you walk into a room and there's a trap in there that would require a perception check of 15 to find, and your passive perception is 15 or higher, you'll notice the trap without having to actively search for it. This section also lists if you have advanced vision, such as darkvision.

Proficiencies and languages lists the equipment you're trained in using and the languages you know. When you use armour or weapons you're proficient in, the proficiency bonus is added automatically to relevant stats and rolls. You can use equipment you're not proficient in, but you don't get the bonus.

The Skills section in the middle is one of the most important and frequently used areas. The modifier for each skill is listed down the right, and any skill you're proficient in is tagged on the left (again, these get the proficiency bonus).

Near the top-right there is your initiative modifier, which is used at the start of combat to determine the order of turns (roll a d20, add initiative). In most cases this will be the same as your dexterity modifier, though there is a feat which will give you +5 to initiative.

Next to this is your armour class, which is what enemies have to roll to hit you. This is affected by armour (obviously), shields and possibly your dexterity modifier. Monks and barbarians gain AC from NOT wearing armour, as their AC is derived from ability modifiers instead.

Defences and conditions show things you are naturally or magically resistant to or immune to, and any conditions currently affecting you (e.g. blindness, being stunned, etc). It's worth making a mental note of any defences you have - e.g. if you take poison damage and you're resistant to poison, be sure to let me know as you'll take half damage.

The bottom-right section is collection of things you can do and character notes. There's a lot to this one, but the most important tabs are Actions and Spells.

As a reminder, in a combat turn you can move up to your speed, perform one action and one bonus action. Actions lists the things you can do for your action and the things you can do for your bonus action. These are not interchangeable - actions and bonus actions are separate things.

Spells lists the spells you can currently cast (if your class prepares spells from a larger list of known spells, only prepared spells will appear here). Click a spell to see its details. Cantrips can be cast as many times as you want, whereas spells of level 1 and above will have spell slots. e.g. If you have two level 1 slots, you can cast any two spells per day from your list of level 1 spells. Click the cast button next to a spell to mark off one of your spell slots. At the top of the spell section are your spell attack and save DC modifiers, which will be used in most offensive spells. The Manage Spells button in this section lets you prepare different spells for the next day, if your class prepares spells.

The Equipment tab shows your inventory. Anything you have equipped will be marked with a red box to the left. Click the Manage Equipment button to search for and add new items. The Currency button lets you manage money.

Features and traits is a list of your special abilities from your class and race. It's worth properly reading through at some point and after levelling up to get a good grasp on what you can do.

Description and Notes are info about your character and your travels. Creatures is used for certain classes like the ranger who may have an animal companion.

Finally, at the far top-right are the short rest and long rest buttons. Clicking these will restore the relevant benefits for each type of rest (a short rest is about an hour of light activity where you can regain some HP, a long rest is a full 8 hours where you regain all your HP and spell slots).
Roll20
Spoiler
We'll be using Roll20 for running the game:

roll20.net

Once you've signed up, follow this link to join the game:

https://app.roll20.net/join/2048060/gWm2oA

Sly and Mantis are already on there - hopefully you still remember your login details!

We'll try and do audio in roll20 itself, but if we run into any issues (I think we did the one time we tried it before) then we can resort to Skype or Discord. I've had problems with Discord in the past but touchwood it's sorted now.

Roll20 has built in dice rolls, so you can just choose how many of each dice to roll.

You can set up character sheets in it, but they're nowhere near as intuitive as dndbeyond and are a bit of a faff, so I think just using the dice roller and adding modifiers will be simplest.

The story so far

Here's a painful dramatic retelling of the adventure to date, with most details recalled/fudged from my sketchy memory.
Gather round and hear ye the tale of the Lost Mine of Phandelver and the band of heroes who did everything to demonstrate themselves otherwise in their search for it!

Many centuries ago, a group of dwarves and gnomes came together in an agreement known as the Phandelver Pact. Together they mined the magically rich ores within Wave Echo Cave and created one of the few places where metals of a magical nature could be forged: the Forge of Spells. The mine was lost to the ages after a great battle, but the dwarven Rockseeker brothers came upon a map leading to it and set about organising an expedition.

A ragtag group of adventurers were hired by the eldest of the three brothers, Gundren Rockseeker, to transport a wagon of provisions from Neverwinter to the village of Phandalin. Thus did our intrepid band embark upon their journey: Slythe, the light-fingered rogue; Ellis, the beer-swilling bard; Van'Skar, the brooding paladin with a haunting background that will probably never be revealed; and the wizard who's name escapes me, so for brevity we'll call him DJ. Not far from their destination, the group came across a ruined wagon in the middle of a trail which to their horror was Gundren's! A goblin ambush ensued, and the surviving wretch was forced to lead the party to the goblin hideout - a cave in the woods. After executing their unarmed prisoner, our heroes raided the cave with similar levels of mercy and finesse. Thousands were butchered, or so the tale goes, but sadly Gundren was not to be found. Instead they found Gundren's companion, the human warrior Sildar Hallwinter, alive but badly injured.

The party escorted Sildar and their wagon to Phandalin. The wagon was delivered to Barthen's Provisions and Sildar retired to the inn to rest while the heroes drank themselves into a stupor. The village was under harassment from a group of local ruffians known as the Redbrands, and with no real forethought the drunken heroes took it upon themselves to stumble into the street and put an end to the Redbrands' reign of terror with immediate effect. A street fight erupted to the horror of the sleepy village, and any who were asleep were suddenly awakened by the literal thunderclap that one of the heroes sent at the bandits, extinguishing their lives in a heartbeat. At this point, the wizard DJ stumbled out of sight and was never seen again.

Rather than wasting precious seconds searching for their lost and probably imperilled companion, the three remaining heroes pursued a fleeing bandit up a hill to a destroyed mansion. There they found a basement - the Redbrands' base of operations - and proceeded to slaughter everyone they saw with zero tolerance and much thunder. It is said they also experienced a fell voice in their heads who attempted to treat with them. Whether this was some feral creature or simply their consciences appealing for mercy, none can tell. Neither can it be said what happened to the leader of the Redbrands, Iarno Albrek, who was captured and subsequently interrogated. Was this arcane practitioner allowed to go on his way or, more likely, was his head staved in with a hammer? I certainly cannot recall, nor do I wish to. What is known is that it was the first time that the party heard the name of Iarno's master: the Black Spider.

Searching for answers, the party returned to the inn and told Sildar of what had happened. Sildar knew not of the Black Spider, but was distraught to learn that Iarno, a former colleague of his from the Lords' Alliance, had turned from the path of good. He told of how Gundren had found the mine, and that his stolen map was the key to finding it. Clearly Iarno and the Spider had an interest in this matter. Iarno had provided a possible location for where Gundren had been taken: the ruined castle of Cragmaw, deep in the Neverwinter woods. After some much needed rest, the party left Phandalin in search of the castle.

After a long trek through the woods, the intrepid heroes found and approached the castle with utmost stealth, entering through a breach in the walls. Many goblins and hobgoblins lurked inside, and naturally they were all pitilessly dispatched. It was then that a terrible serpentine creature, a grick, descended from the ceiling to attack. It too was sent to its death. Within the depths of Cragmaw, danger and destiny awaited. For all they knew, two of the heroes could soon perish from a rock unceremoniously dropping on their heads from nowhere. But that story is for another time...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:32 pm

I've had to go back and change my starting equipment, as I didn't realise that the generator was adding things cumulatively, rather than replacing things every time you clicked the add button.

I do have a question though; there's a long list of items that you can look through, but what are the rules regarding adding those to your character? Can I have something that's thematically appropriate based on my backstory, or are you limited just to starting equipment appropriate to your class and background?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:54 pm

The starting equipment is what every character gets, but if there’s an item you want to replace with something of roughly equivalent value then that’s fine. You know, as long as you don’t replace a basic mace with a +3 vorpal sword or anything. ;)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:01 pm

Say hello to Sage:
Spoiler
The 18 year old Tiefling student of magic, out to prove that he is the wisest and most powerful of his four other siblings. Leaving no stone upturned and no book unread in his quest to understand the very workings of the universe.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Oh dear, Mantis and I seem to have created the same character. :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 pm

It's alright, I'm going to be far more of a utility style character than outright nuking and damage.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 pm

No, you don't understand, I mean they're practically identical. I've also created a young male Tiefling caster on a quest to learn all that can be learned. My spells are also fairly balanced around damage and utility. I think the biggest difference is that my character doesn't have siblings.

I suspect we'll need to team up for the benefit of our collective knowledge, or one of us needs to wear something else. :P