Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Cool, tomorrow it is.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:12 pm

Oh, Brior. :lol: Yet another glass cannon.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:18 pm

I so nearly used Dominate Person on Brior, but figured he would be more likely to make the wisdom saving throw. I don't think that could have gone an awful lot better. :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:19 pm

Out of interest because I can't wait potentially two weeks for Slythe to cast identify, what was his staff?

Why do I get the feeling that our next big encounter is going to be tweaked so heavily that we TPK. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:19 pm

That was... certainly something :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:20 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:18 pm
I so nearly used Dominate Person on Brior, but figured he would be more likely to make the wisdom saving throw. I don't think that could have gone an awful lot better. :lol:
I picked charm monster thinking it was just a temporary choice due to lack of level 4 spells that appealed enough and that I would be swapping it out as soon as I get access to level 5 slots. I didn't imagine for a second that we would wombo combo the whole encounter with charms like that.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:19 pm
Out of interest because I can't wait potentially two weeks for Slythe to cast identify, what was his staff?

Why do I get the feeling that our next big encounter is going to be tweaked so heavily that we TPK. :lol:
The staff (because we’re short on bitter irony here) is a Staff of Charming. #-o

I honestly thought this battle had potential to be a TPK, but the two terrible saving throws combined with Brior and Bithrie not getting a look in absolutely thrashed it. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:24 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 pm
The staff (because we’re short on bitter irony here) is a Staff of Charming. #-o
:lol:

It's perhaps notable that the Charm Person spell that staff casts specifically mentions that the person knows they were charmed once the spell ends, but the spell description for Dominate Person does not. Just for future reference, not that this will ever come up, I'm sure, does the person I cast Dominate Person on know that I cast it on them?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 am

I would say yes, they know they've been dominated (and certainly will once the spell ends) but they're powerless to do anything about it. With Charm Person, the target would only be aware after the spell ends, but it's far less powerful as the spell just makes the target friendly to you rather than obedient.

Also, assuming everyone survives the current situation, we're coming to an appropriate time for the characters to have some downtime between adventures. Have a think about anything you'd like your characters to do over a few weeks or maybe months - maybe training, research, following personal leads, spending some of your riches on projects, etc.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:46 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 am
I would say yes, they know they've been dominated (and certainly will once the spell ends) but they're powerless to do anything about it. With Charm Person, the target would only be aware after the spell ends, but it's far less powerful as the spell just makes the target friendly to you rather than obedient.

Also, assuming everyone survives the current situation, we're coming to an appropriate time for the characters to have some downtime between adventures. Have a think about anything you'd like your characters to do over a few weeks or maybe months - maybe training, research, following personal leads, spending some of your riches on projects, etc.
Dibs on buddy-cop adventures around Faerun with Jeff! :o

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:19 am

Are we likely to see a time skip between now and the next adventure then? I'm not sure that what Sage has planned would be particularly entertaining to actually act out in a session.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:28 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:46 am
Dibs on buddy-cop adventures around Faerun with Jeff! :o
Stupid Chief: "You're off the case, Nimblefingers! You and your loose eye-beamed partner need to learn that round here we do things by the book!"

Jeff: "Well the joke's on you, Chief..." <adorns multiple shades> "...because I can't read."

<cut to diving away from explosions>
Are we likely to see a time skip between now and the next adventure then? I'm not sure that what Sage has planned would be particularly entertaining to actually act out in a session.
I'm assuming there will be some loose ends to tie up after the battle, unless everything goes horribly wrong. It's up to you guys really, but as the end of a chapter it seems appropriate for some character downtime. We wouldn't need to play everything out, just summarise what you've been up to, what (if anything) has been achieved in that time, maybe focus on some interesting bits. If Sage just wanted to chill by the beach for a couple of weeks, that'd be valid given everything that's happened. :lol:

Alternatively you could dive straight back into things.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Charr: if I drop a copper piece off the top of the Cloak Tower, is it moving fast enough by the time it reaches ground level to embed itself in the skull of a halfling? :-k

Also Charr: should probably try to get some permanent access to the Cloak Tower instead of having a mind-dominated Mage let me in.