The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:09 pm

The amount of times I read this thread and think I've replied when I haven't...

Yes, tonight should be fine for me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:57 pm

Might be a couple of minutes late, having to do a last minute restart.

EDIT - And a router restart. Won't be long!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Well that was unexpectedly hilarious.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:37 pm

Those guards had one day left till retirement. :cry:

Although since the first one lost all worldly possessions, his retirement fund wouldn’t have got him very far.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 pm

It was about time we rebalanced the scales of good and evil after doing so much for the town by vanquishing a demi-lich and a vampire. Not sure how we'll counter balance the goodness of saving the world yet. :-k

Incidentally, I like the fact that character backstories are sneaking in here and there now.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 am

I spent a long time into the evening chuckling about the guards' fate. Considering how little we achieved really, much fun was had :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:31 am

Mantis wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 pm
Incidentally, I like the fact that character backstories are sneaking in here and there now.
Yeah, I've been wanting to tie events to the characters a bit more and this seemed like a good opportunity to introduce some of that.

On a related note, Charr's past is very enigmatic - i.e. I know nothing about it. :) Raid, if you want to drop in some background info or people from Charr's past, let me know. Or if you want me to surprise you with something we could work around that too.

Obviously if Slythe and Sage have anything else they want delve into with their characters we can look at that. I know Sage has some family stuff going on, and Sir Chalfont was plucked from Slythe's original PDF character sheet (minus his apparent gnomish leanings).

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:37 am

That was what caught me off-guard at first, as we've not used those sheets since we picked the adventure up again with Sage and Charr! :o

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:50 am

You can hide for years,
You can run for the hills,
But you cannot escape
From Sir Chalfont Giles!

(is something he might say in a flamboyant gnomish accent).

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Who's betting Charr's enigmatic past turns out to be because he's in hiding after committing some atrocious acts of arson?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:34 pm

He is such an enigma that even I don't know his full backstory.

I did start writing it back when we were setting out, but I think I got so involved and spend so much time with the character creator that I never actually finished it. I'll stick something down and send it over, maybe at the weekend.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Not sure I'll have chance to do a proper write-up of the session for a day or two, so I'll do a quick summary before details start to elude me:
- In the street, the party was confronted by Sir Chalfont Giles, Slythe's nemesis from his days back in Waterdeep who he had robbed blind and ruined before having to flee the city. Sir Chalfont demanded satisfaction with a duel, but was eventually persuaded to meet at noon after the battle in the Dolphin (and ask for Reidoth).

- The party updated the Council on the catacombs. Tombstone was also there, having returned from Phandalin to find his shop burned to the ground, and he had spotted a large mercenary army heading from the south.

- While resting, each member of the party had troubling dreams which eventually converged into the same dream: of Brior Felhim taunting them and showing them a vision of a glazed-eyed Truss declaring that he must kill the Unmentionables.

- The alarm was sounded in the middle of the night as the approaching army had been spotted. The party asked Blackstaff to teleport them quickly to Helm's Hold so they had time for breakfast.

- At Helm's Hold, the Gauntlgrym forces had arrived along with Queen Raina. The party went to have breakfast, Jeff decided to marry a woman who gave him cheese but then changed his mind after learning that there are people who make cheese. He also decided to head north to find snow after the battle.

- While waiting for the battle to start, Sage showed Count Leonard and two guards a few 'magic tricks' with the Deck of Many Things. The count was permanently weakened. One guard was stripped of all worldly possessions (including his clothes), while the other was transformed into a formidable warrior with rippling muscles. Unfortunately, both guards also drew a card which removed their souls from their still-living (but comatose) bodies and hid them in an item somewhere - anywhere - in the multiverse.

- After moving the vegetated guards out of immediate sight, the party headed outside as the horns blew. The Zhentarim mercenaries were approaching the walls.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 am

Should be fine for any day this week except tonight.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 am

Whenever is fine.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:39 am

Wednesday or Thursday should be best for me I think.