The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Cheers - on for tonight then! :)

(I'm going to have to read my own notes to remember what happened last time other than 'bad stuff')

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:23 pm

I'll be good for tonight, but there's a chance my 3D printer will still be running by the start of the game, so let me know if there's any noise on the channel.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks for that tonight, WB - another fun session.

And may I be the first to officially welcome our newest Unmentionable :lol:

* technically a dwarf I know, but that was the closest I could find to how I picture him :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Btw, apologies if I inadvertently talked over anyone tonight - my audio was cutting out quite badly in places, so wasn't always certain if there was a gap.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 pm

That picture’s spot on. =D> I’ve added Hamfist to the campaign - should be visible to you all. I’ll update his profile pic tomorrow.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:53 pm

Depending on how well he performs in our next combat scenario we may not even need Truss back.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:53 pm
Depending on how well he performs in our next combat scenario we may not even need Truss back.
"It was probably for the best"

- The Unmentionables' epitaph for loyal, valued founding member Truss (who isn't dead yet but probably will be soon)

:lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Why do I feel like this needs to end up with a Jeff / reanimated-Truss buddy-cop series?

Stoving heads in, starting fires
Crime beware, you're about to expire
One's a floating eyeball
The other's kinda dead
It's Jeff and Truss!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:22 pm
Why do I feel like this needs to end up with a Jeff / reanimated-Truss buddy-cop series?

Stoving heads in, starting fires
Crime beware, you're about to expire
One's a floating eyeball
The other's kinda dead
It's Jeff and Truss!
I smell a spin-off! :o

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 am

The Unmentionables decided it was time to inform the Council of recent events. Upon arriving at the Hall of Justice they found General Sabine, dejected and distant, who informed the party that the vampire had been slain but Sir Carac had perished in the attempt. Attempts by the clerics to revive him had failed, suggesting his soul was unwilling to return. Sabine summoned the Council, along with Archmage Jura who arrived to represent the Cloak Tower.

The party relayed the developments of the previous day in the spirit of full disclosure... except for the parts which directly implicated them in the looming catastrophes facing Neverwinter. Somehow, in a manner that surely did not warrant further scrutiny or accusations, Brior Felhim had proven himself a traitor and obtained the apocalyptic runestone so recently entrusted to the Unmentionables for safekeeping, then fled the city in the transplanar tower which Brior had curiously gained access to. How Brior achieved such feats is a matter best left to a tribunal; suffice it to say that Lord Neverember was duly concerned. His concerns were not eased by the Council concluding that given Brior's interest in the demonic runestone, his connection to infernal beings, the involvement of the drow in the mine near Phandalin and the reports of troubles in Gauntlgrym at the entrance to the Underdark, it likely meant that a invasion of demons, or drow - or both - was imminent. It was suggested that Brior may be raising an army of demons under the banner of the demon lord he could now summon with the runestone, and that this could coincide with a surface invasion by the demon-worshipping drow.

The Council agreed that warnings and requests for aid must be sent to all allies in the Lords' Alliance, though Neverwinter's strongest allies were perhaps its weakest hope. Waterdeep to the south commanded a grand army, but Lord Neverember's chequered past there had soured relations to the point where a call for aid could well be ignored. The dwarves of Gauntlgrym to the northeast were a prickly bunch at the best of times, and diplomatic contact had ceased in recent months with rumours that the greatly-respected King Bruenor had died. It was decided that the Unmentionables, apparently renowned for their deft negotiating skills, calm demeanour and delicate touch, should represent the city at one or both of these allies, though time was clearly of the essence.

First, however, Sage retired to a private room in an attempt to locate Brior in the only way that seemed possible. Meditating and focusing on the source of his eldritch power, Sage called out to his esoteric patron. The familiar and unsettling voice responded. Sage asked as to the whereabouts of Brior, and the being responded that Brior's intentions were not entirely unaligned with his own. The patron explained that he was that which ended all things, and the demon lord would further that cause. The patron suggested that he could tell Sage which plane Brior currently resided on, but in exchange he expected Sage to convince him over time that the material plane was worthy of survival and was not yet ready to end. If Sage failed to do this, the patronage would be withdrawn. With the terms of the pact agreed, the patron told Sage that Brior was currently in the Abyss - the demonic plane of pure chaos and evil.

Sage returned to his friends and informed them of Brior's location. A brief and plucky idea was formed to invade the Abyss and steal back the Shard of Night, but the idea was quickly shelved on the basis that the heavens themselves had deemed similar plans too risky. Sage and Charr did speculate with their infernal heritage, however, that the devils of the Nine Hells could theoretically be persuaded to intervene given their eternal Blood War with the demons. Again, this was put on the back-burner, to be explored further in the event that other more brilliant and infallible schemes didn't go entirely as planned, to the extent that a literal deal with the devils seemed the best course of action. Eventually the Unmentionables decided to go to Gauntlgrym, but first they needed some muscle, and since it seemed a right royal bother to consider ways of rescuing and restoring their dear and beloved friend Truss, they instead went to the nearest roughhouse pub and paid the victor of a brawl 20gp to kill things for them. Thus it was that the bare-chested, booze-swilling, ill-mannered halfling named Hamfist joined the Unmentionables, with nary an inconvenient question as to life-expectancy or future remuneration. With a full roster, Sage sent Raven south to Waterdeep to attempt to treat with them, and then the party procured some noble and probably ill-fated steeds and departed north for Gauntlgrym. It had taken less than two days in Neverwinter to plant and water the seeds of an interplanar war; what fate awaited the dwarves was almost certainly no better.

As sunset fell, the party stopped at the fishing village of Port Llast and settled in an inn called the Barnacled Boson. As they shared tales with the landlord, Sage noticed a halfling pirate eyeing them suspiciously from the corner of the room...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:22 am

:lol:

Entertaining read as always, WB :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:07 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 am
It had taken less than two days in Neverwinter to plant and water the seeds of an interplanar war; what fate awaited the dwarves was almost certainly no better.
Got some funny looks from colleagues when I snorted loudly with laughter at my desk reading that part.

Have we really managed to do all of that only within two days of in-game time? :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:17 am

I need to double check the timeline, but yes, I'm pretty sure you entered Neverwinter two days ago. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:22 am

Never let anyone say that we're not efficient. Effective? Possibly not. But efficient? Most definitely :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:32 am

The party ethos seems to be not so much "leave every place better than you found it" as "leave every place before they find out what you did to it"...