Post by Animalmother » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:43 pm

I'll be having a go

Wrathbone
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's personal

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:06 pm
I'd like to do this but my schedule is going to make it needlessly difficult for the rest of you. For instance, I am only available on Wednesday for the whole of next week.

Is the plan still to use D&D Beyond and Roll20?
Yeah, they look like the best options. Would be a shame to leave you out! I’m quite flexible on when we play, so if there’s a way to work with your schedule then I’m sure we can organise around it.

Good to have Sly and AM on board!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 am

Yeah, my scheduling is a little easier now, I can pretty much try any night. I am however an absolute beginner when it comes to D&D; I've done tabletop before but on an entirely different system. I think I picked up a little from osmosis when I used to watch my brother play Baldur's Gate, but that's about it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:10 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 am
Yeah, my scheduling is a little easier now, I can pretty much try any night. I am however an absolute beginner when it comes to D&D; I've done tabletop before but on an entirely different system. I think I picked up a little from osmosis when I used to watch my brother play Baldur's Gate, but that's about it.
Don't worry, I still have to ask what I'm doing before pretty much every roll :lol:

Happy to fit it around Mantis' schedule so we may not have a set night every week, that's fine. I don't have any regular commitments aside from the kids' bedtime routine.

I think we already said previously, but myself and I think Mantis are going to continue with our previous characters, a half-elf thief/archer and dwarf bard, but hopefully WB will post everything you guys need to create a character.

I don't want to influence any decisions but as an observation while we're sorted for drunkenness and petty larceny, we're pretty light on magic and muscles (except when it comes to clubbing unconscious kobolds to death)... ¬_¬

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:38 am

I do tend to go for either archers or mages when it comes to computer games, so I'd be happy to fill the spellcaster role if that's a good idea for a newbie.

How seriously do you guys play? Are you going to be annoyed if I try to light a campfire with meteor swarm?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:54 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:38 am
I do tend to go for either archers or mages when it comes to computer games, so I'd be happy to fill the spellcaster role if that's a good idea for a newbie.

How seriously do you guys play? Are you going to be annoyed if I try to light a campfire with meteor swarm?
The first thing I did in the last run was pick Mantis' pockets, while he spent most of the campaign drunk and overkilling low-level creatures in hilarious ways.

Have at it, I say :)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 am

*Mr Burns finger pyramid*

Excellent.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Ellis was a paragon of virtue, everything he did was for the greater good of society.

I am considering rolling a whole new character though.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Truss Ironshaft shall fulfill all brute force requirements. Truss only lives to see his enemies driven before him and hear the lamentation of their women folk.

Truss may also laugh at your puny god's, punch camels, steal your daughter, get violently drunk and break you...in that order

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 pm

What kind of campaign are we running, Wrath? Is it in the same world as the previous one or something more custom, and if in the same, are you taking the last campaign into account as a canon event that the last group actually did?

I've decided that I'm in for this, worst case scenario is that sometimes I might drop the odd session here and there. Just trying to decide what would be appropriate to roll and what kind of character backstory would fit in with Wrath's world.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:42 pm

It’ll be the same world, which is the Forgotten Realms (where BG and Neverwinter Nights take place). The plan was to pick up immediately where we left off so that any returning characters could continue and new characters could be quickly introduced. If you’re rolling a new character (which is fine) then that leaves Slythe as the only one from the original party. So, we have a couple of options:

1) Slythe continues into the fray at level 5 and everyone else rolls a new level 1 character. We pick up where we left off and everyone catches up to level 5 over two or three sessions. I think that would be better than rolling level 5 characters right from the start since Raid and AM are new to it. Slythe will basically be god-tier until everyone catches up. :)

2) Everyone rolls a new level 1 character, we pick up somewhere roundabouts where we left off, and Slythe et al forge their own separate story into the annals of history.

Either way is fine by me. My plan is to loosely follow the rest of the Phandelver campaign we started, which should be a few sessions, then branch into a more open-ended homebrew campaign. There are events happening in the Realms which you guys can investigate, hinder or ignore as you choose, and the consequences of the story will evolve around that. None of it has a pre-determined outcome. There’s a saying that no DM’s plan survives contact with the players, which was demonstrated by just about everything you guys did. :lol:

(That poor drunk bandit Slythe lured into a ravine... :cry: )

Oh, and skipping sessions every now and then is no problem at all. On those occasions I can low-key role-play your character in the background.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Didn't that ravine have some sort of flesh eating insane wizard in it? I recall tying up the big bad for that area, removing all his gear and then leaving him to be eaten by the monster.

We were definitely the good guys.

I won't be rolling a character straight into level 5, I'm most likely going to try a magicky class that I haven't used before so being hit with all those abilities and class features at once would be overwhelming.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 pm

I like the thought of being OP for a few sessions...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Cool, in that case unless anyone objects we’ll go with option 1.

The ravine monster-wizard was a nothic - a wizard who had delved too deep into the arcane mysteries and become cursed as a horrible cycloptic creature with telepathic powers and a constant hunger for food. It ate well after Bill flopped off the bridge into its lair.

Anyway, shall we pencil in 8pm on Wednesday?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 pm

I regret nothing!

And 8pm next Weds works for me :)