The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:23 pm
Pretty sure I have the same dice. Bought them off Amazon for pretty cheap and got each set in a nice little bag.

What time are we convening? I'm on my way back from working away at the mo and should be around for an 8pm start.
Yeah, probably the same lot, although I just got the one hessian bag for the lot to go in. I think it was £4.99 for six full sets of dice plus the bag, so a bit of a no-brainer really.

Oh, and 8pm sounds good to me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Yep, 8pm start.

If you’ll excuse my horrific photography skills, here are my dice:

The centre ones are my default set - they look much nicer in real life. The gold and blue ones to the left are solid metal, which look amazing but make a racket when you roll them.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:26 pm

I was gonna say, the sparkly goldy edgy ones look pretty sweet! :)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:49 pm

I was going to say that I had a nice translucent purple set of d10s, but it occurs to me that they were actually in a bag that was stolen in the burglary at the end of 2017. :cry:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Thanks again, WB. And can I just say, whatever happens next week, that managing to ransack a magical storeroom while becoming BFFs with the gazer guarding it basically makes the adventure a win-win for me. :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Just going to note the initiative order we left it at before I misplace/forget it:

Truss
Charr
Black Spider (down for the count)
Giant spiders (OG Jeffs)
Slythe
Sage
Doppelganger
Bugbears

Thanks again all, and don't forget - Jeff's incoming eventually! :lol:

PS - The battle music wasn't working tonight. They're changing the provider for it but that's not meant to be till next week, but I'm guessing that was it. I'll try and sort it for next time.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Can't believe those spiders didn't join us, the cads (I'll bet the one that died regretted his hasty decision though :x )

I was going to advise Charr trying what he did with the dragon cultists and flavour the Black Spider something delectable to arachnids, but don't know if he's going to be in a fit state :(

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Knowing our luck, Jeff will probably arrive right as we're leaving the cave carrying all the stuff we've looted. Hopefully Slythe will be able to talk our way out of it as per usual.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Yeah, I basically went all-in on persuasion and stealth when it came to skills!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Can't believe those spiders didn't join us, the cads (I'll bet the one that died regretted his hasty decision though :x )
I’ll say with your passive insight you can deduce that beatboxing is regrettably not a universal pacifier for giant spiders. Spider Jeff had refined tastes and motives such that he was unique amongst spiderkind.

I’m also glad I now have a week to calculate the levitation speed of New Jeff moving with urgency through a labyrinthine canyon system which he had previously been bumbling aimlessly through for an hour. :-k

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:49 pm

Jeff can still pull this back for us, I know it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 pm

I've been really tense last night and this morning, I think I'm really concerned about Char! :lol:

Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but can't help but feel we missed a trick not having a full rest before the encounter...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Bidding Jeff farewell, the party immediately set about figuring how to rob him blind. They settled on disguising themselves as dwarves and convincing Jeff that his contract to guard the forge had long since expired, as had all the other people running the mine. Relieved of his post, Jeff went to have a chat with the flaming skull by the water wheel. The moment Jeff floated out the door, Slythe swiped everything of value from the forge. Charr also enchanted the Potato of Destiny in the flaming green brazier, expanding its power beyond that of any other potato in the multiverse.

Proceeding further into the mine, the party discovered two bugbears being directed by two drow to locate something in the mud banks of a stream. Not wanting to overexert themselves, they delegated the job of slaughtering them to Jeff by persuading him that they were thieves who had stolen stuff he was meant to be guarding. Jeff, incensed by this turn of events, gave the intruders a piece of his mind before ravaging their brains into mush with his eye-beams, allowing our intrepid heroes to immolate and carve their bodies to pieces. Jeff helpfully pointed out what the bugbears were looking for - a pair of gauntlets of ogre power, buried in the mud - and then set off to explore the world.

The party took a break by the stream, but the alarm set by Slythe was triggered. Upon investigating, they found the enemy they had been tracking for some time, the Black Spider, with one of Gundren's brothers held hostage at knife-point. Curiously, Slythe noticed through a keyhole to another room that there was another dwarf held prisoner who looked exactly like the hostage.

The Black Spider ordered the party to surrender else he would kill the dwarf, but some cunning insight determined that the hostage was not in fact a real dwarf. The ruse exposed, the Spider questioned where the party's allegiance laid and what their motives were in coming to the mine. Slythe concluded that his allegiance was to coin, before moments later realising that nobody had agreed to pay them to come to the mine and stop the Black Spider. Were our heroes so selfless and noble that they hadn't even considered financial reward before plunging themselves into peril? Or was this plain incompetence on a scale hitherto unheard of within adventuring circles? Whatever the case, they were not given chance to ponder on this as the Black Spider's hostage transformed into its true form of a doppelganger and attacked.

Thirty seconds or so later, flames had been thrown, thunder had erupted, an urgent distress call had been sent to Jeff, Charr was crushed within an inch of his life and the Black Spider lay on the ground, dead or dying.

Will Charr survive to burn people another day? Will the Black Spider make his death saves given that the DMs dice were consistently rolling 2s and 3s all night? And will Jeff return to save the day and show everyone who's boss? We find out next week!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:09 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:45 pm
Were our heroes so selfless and noble that they hadn't even considered financial reward before plunging themselves into peril? Or was this plain incompetence on a scale hitherto unheard of within adventuring circles?
:lol:

I know which way the smart money will bet.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Sage is primarily concerned with the pursuit of knowledge, so just being along for the ride and finding out more about the mine is pretty satisfying for him.
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 pm
Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but can't help but feel we missed a trick not having a full rest before the encounter...
A full rest is about 8 hours, I think it'd be very unlikely that we would be allowed to do that right in the middle of a dungeon crawl when the big bad is just around the corner. Or at least, I've never seen a case where it has been reasonably allowed by a DM.

I'm sure Charr will be fine. Worst case scenario he gets knocked unconscious and has to roll a few death saves, I think we've nearly beaten most of the enemies.