The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 pm

I'm just sticking this description of the gaseous form spell here because I've deleted the potion from my inventory and I'll probably have forgotten what it does by next week.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:15 pm

Quick question on True Polymorph. The spell description for turning into a creature states this:
The target’s game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the new form. It retains its alignment and personality.

The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by the nature of its new form, and it can’t speak, cast spells, or take any other action that requires hands or speech, unless its new form is capable of such actions.
I used the fire breath last time we fought Ygorl, but does the Frightful Presence action also carry over to me in dragon form?

It doesn't clarify whether I'd also get access to the legendary resistances as that forms part of it's statistics block I'd guess. Nothing on the legendary actions either but I'd imagine it would be way too broken to give those to a player.

I'm using the stat block on DnD Beyond here:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/adult-red-dragon

Really enjoying how epic the final showdown is turning out to be. Shame about losing half the council though. :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:20 pm

This explains it pretty well:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions ... s-new-form

You do get Frightful Presence as part of the stat block, but you don’t get legendary actions.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:23 pm

I figured there'd be something online clarifying that somewhere.

Does that also apply to the resistances then? The wording leaves them out annoyingly and there doesn't seem to be a further comment on them.
If a creature assumes the form of a legendary creature, such as through a spell, it doesn’t gain that form’s legendary actions, lair actions, or regional effects.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:33 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:23 pm
I figured there'd be something online clarifying that somewhere.

Does that also apply to the resistances then? The wording leaves them out annoyingly and there doesn't seem to be a further comment on them.
If a creature assumes the form of a legendary creature, such as through a spell, it doesn’t gain that form’s legendary actions, lair actions, or regional effects.
No, you do get legendary resistance as it’s not a legendary action, it’s part of the core stat block.
Raid wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 pm
I'm just sticking this description of the gaseous form spell here because I've deleted the potion from my inventory and I'll probably have forgotten what it does by next week.
So, interesting point on this. There was something about Gaseous Form that rang a bell, and I’ve remembered why.
While in the form of a misty cloud, the target can’t talk or manipulate objects, and any objects it was carrying or holding can’t be dropped, used, or otherwise interacted with. The target can’t attack or cast spells.
BUT… I think that’s rubbish for a 6th level spell, so I say balls to that and rule that you can at least cast spells. It makes sense that you couldn’t do physical attacks though.

This caused a bit of controversy on Critical Role a few years ago when Keyleth, the party’s druid, cast it on the entire party during a fight. :lol: Matt Mercer tends to go with rules-as-written for the most part, which is fair enough, but it’s one of the few times I’ve disagreed with his rulings because it was clear that Marisha had misunderstood the spell. At the least it could have been retconned so she didn’t cast it. But it’s a pretty funny series of realisations from the party as it dawns on them that none of them can do anything.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:46 pm

Yeah, I completely missed that part of the spell description. I was originally only going to be using it defensively anyway, and I didn't do any damage with the spell I cast after consuming it, so I'm happy going with your ruling or the spell as written.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:33 pm
This caused a bit of controversy on Critical Role a few years ago when Keyleth, the party’s druid, cast it on the entire party during a fight. :lol: Matt Mercer tends to go with rules-as-written for the most part, which is fair enough, but it’s one of the few times I’ve disagreed with his rulings because it was clear that Marisha had misunderstood the spell. At the least it could have been retconned so she didn’t cast it. But it’s a pretty funny series of realisations from the party as it dawns on them that none of them can do anything.
Marisha misunderstanding spells to hilarious effect was one of the redeeming things about her character in the first campaign. Sure it might be a bit harsh of him to stick with the written rule, but it did make for some entertaining moments when things didn't go as planned. And to be fair, by the time they were 100 episodes in (which was what, 350-400 hours with those characters on air) it must have gotten irritating that she could never remember what her spells did.

It did allow for the classic moment of her jumping off a 1000ft cliff and polymorphing into a gold fish thinking she'd harmlessly splash into the water too. Seeing Travis Willingham absolutely splitting his sides with laughter as Matt described her smearing into a red paste on the rocks below was one of the highlights of that whole campaign. :lol:

I finally finished the first campaign for that not long ago. Not quite as into campaign 2 though after the first 20 or so episodes.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:41 am

Keyfish is one of the best arguments for sticking with rules-as-written I’ve ever seen. :lol: I still veer on the side of leniency most of the time, but I think it helped that Vox Machina had multiple methods of instantly restoring someone who’d just died. I’m not sure if it’d have been funnier or not funny at all if that’d been the end of Keyleth.

Also, for what it’s worth, Critical Role campaign 2 gelled with me far better. Most of the characters are superb, complex messes.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:41 am

Would Wednesday be possible for everyone this week? I can do Thursday if not, but I set off on holiday on Friday morning so might get a bit hectic. ;)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:06 am

Wednesday is fine for me.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 am

Absolutely, all good here

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:55 am

Yeah, Wednesday is fine for me.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:09 pm

=D>

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:21 pm

As I said before, thanks Wrath for another fantastic campaign. After the epilogues I couldn't escape the feeling that Slythe, despite accumulating, like, all the money, didn't dream big enough compared to others :lol:

(Although he's definitely built himself a Scrooge McDuck-style money bin)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:31 pm

To be fair I think it's fitting, because other than becoming unbelievably rich and being recognised as the leader of all the thieves in the region Slythe never really expressed any delusional aspirations and was quite content most of the time to just go along for the ride. With the way Sage and Charr went from the very beginning it was probably obvious that they'd end up pursuing godhood of some kind.

It may yet all end in tears for Charr too if we play out a one shot of his challenge to the god of fire and he gets utterly obliterated for daring to dream too big. :lol: