The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Hey guys, think I might bail tonight if that's ok. Had some news today and not really feeling it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:51 pm

No problem, I’m still kind of exhausted too. Hope everything’s okay.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Normal service resumes this week - everyone good to resume after the hiatus?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Yep, sounds good to me.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:11 pm

I can do any day this week except for tuesday.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:35 am

Nice one. Mantis, you good for Wednesday or Thursday?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Just Wednesday for me this week I'm afraid.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Tomorrow it is!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:38 pm

On for tonight then?

I'll be a few minutes late as finishing something up, but should be online by 8.05

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Yep, ready to (literally) roll.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Last night's recap:
Departing Tombstone's shop, the group now calling themselves the Unmentionables decided to have a pre-Council drink at Neverwinter's grottiest, most infamous flat-roof pub, The Dolphin, in the hope of overhearing some juicy local gossip. Attempts at cordial conversation with the salty staff and clientele were met with jibes and drunken snarls, with the only interesting rumours being talk of trouble at the dwarven city of Gauntlgrym and potential unsavoury work up in the pirate town of Luskan. The group left less than satisfied, magically freezing all the drinks and slamming the doors on the way out.

They made their way back to the Hall of Justice to meet Lord Neverember at his request and were led to the Council chamber, where the Council had convened. The Council were introduced:

Lord Dagult Neverember, Lord Protector of Neverwinter (human male)
General Sabine, Master of the Guard (human female)
Sir Carac Stonesworn, Master of Justice (human male)
Lady Tanye Mithmireleen, Master of the People (high elf female)
Brior Felhim, Master of the Arcane (gnome male)
Beatrix de Bolbec, Master of Trade (half-elf female)
Xalvador Montagu, Master of Shadows (human male)

Neverember explained that the problems facing the city were numerous and growing beyond the capability of the guard to handle. Trade had almost entirely stopped in all directions due to apparently coordinated raids from pirates, bandits and monsters on the roads, the Ten Towns to the north were in dire straits from dwindling supplies, and the latest word from Gauntlgrym to the East was that King Bruenor - the dwarfiest dwarf who ever dwarfed - had died in suspicious circumstances. Unless these problems were resolved swiftly, Neverwinter faced disaster.

And so it was that Lord Neverember, against the wishes of some of the Council, appointed the Unmentionables as Neverwinter's task force due to their reputation for getting the job done at any cost. They were granted Neverember's full authority to investigate and end any and all threats facing the city, and they were promised exceptional compensation for their noble efforts.

Sir Carac, paladin of Tyr and Master of Justice in Neverwinter, voiced his objection to the apparent free reign from the law that Neverember had granted the Unmentionables in their task. Neverember then emphasised that he expected the group to act within the bounds of the law when possible, but ending the threats took priority. Beatrix de Bolbec, Master of Trade, also voiced her concern that the city's coffers were so far stretched from the trade issues that Neverember was promising payment beyond what they could afford, but Neverember dismissed this with a hand wave.

As the Council departed, Neverember spoke privately with the group and informed them that he suspected someone on the Council was working against Neverwinter's interests, and that any updates on their mission should be first given directly to him.

With the Unmentionables given terrifying levels of authority to override the law and stamp on civil rights to achieve their goals (with an apparently huge budget), they retired with the Council to a chamber of refreshments where they mingled with other members of the city's nobility. The group first went to talk with the spymaster, Xalvador Montagu, asking for advice on where to start their investigations, inquiring about Tombstone (who Xalvador claimed was a capable amateur but working only for himself) and discussing who may have potentially betrayed the Council.

Next they spoke with the Master of Trade, Beatrix de Bolbec, who was very concerned with the trade crisis and placed the likely blame solely on Luskan. She mentioned that she had worked with General Sabine to provide guards to protect outbound caravans, but all had been lost and the city could no longer spare any more guards. The group suggested posing as guards with a caravan to Luskan, and Beatrix agreed that if they decided to go ahead with the plan then a caravan could be dispatched the next day. In the interest of ending the crisis quickly, she gave the group 500 gold pieces and promised 500 more once trade routes had been made safe again.

The group then spoke with the excitable gnomish wizard, Brior Felhim, who made it clear that he enjoyed public displays of arcane prowess. The party, of course, acquiesced to this by causing thunder to rumble the rafters (and the Cloak of Billowing to billow dramatically). Brior expressed his approval of the party's appointment, and when asked about his thoughts on where to start he suggested that the troubles facing the city were most likely wider than just Luskan, and that Gauntlgrym (being the site of an apparent regicide and the guardians of a major entrance to the Underdark and the drow within) was probably of similar importance. He also lamented that his fellow wizards at the secretive Cloak Tower - the seat of arcane learning in Neverwinter with very restricted access - did not share his desire to spread their arcane knowledge for the betterment of the city. Leaning in closer, he suggested that they could gain the Cloak Tower's loyalty by finding a way to enter the mysterious Shard of Night - a tower which had appeared 500ft above the city many decades ago and remained there ever since. He told of how five mages had entered the tower when it first appeared but had never come out, and ever since it had been forbidden to enter. With the legal flexibility now granted to the Unmentionables, they were in a unique position to finally discover what was inside. If successful, Brior suggested he could arrange limited access to the Cloak Tower and their magical knowledge and artefacts.

With more Council members still to talk to, the Unmentionables mingled further into the crowd...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 am

Is this tonight?

Advance warning that I'll be watching Liverpool in the Champion's League semi-final tomorrow night :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:30 am

Yeah, I'm good for tonight.

EDIT - Postponing as it'd be good to have the full crew for this session. Thursday or Friday could be an option depending on availability, or maybe bank holiday Monday?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Wish I'd played D&D tonight after that. :cry:

Still no word from Mantis?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu May 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Sorry chaps. Called out on Monday night and literally only just got home, my phone died yesterday morning and I haven't had access to a charger. I won't be around tomorrow night or bank holiday, next Tuesday or Wednesday either due to work.