OOOooooOOOOwww... it's Halloween! The spooky stories thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

OOOooooOOOOwww... it's Halloween! The spooky stories thread

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:55 am

Someone on the Liverpool forum I post on started a thread like this and have been enjoying reading about the experiences of people over there, so thought I would similar open the floor here.

A lot of people, myself included, have started off by saying "I don't believe in ghosts, but..." before talking about some of the creepy shit they've seen down the years.

I'll kick off with a couple of my own:

----

I was back at home staying a few nights away from uni, my girlfriend there as well. In the middle of the night I woke up, and saw very clearly a figure of a woman in a nightshirt get up off the bed next to me, walk across the room and start brushing her hair in the mirror on the front of my wardrobe. "What the hell's she got up for?" I thought, turning on the bedside light. Figure promptly vanishes, girlfriend still asleep beside me... pandemonium erupts.

----

My grandmother's house... it's been 20 years or more since she was there (first moving into sheltered accommodation and then passing away) so I'd more or less forgotten about it.

It was always a pretty spooky place, just an old end-terrace house in Cheam, nothing special. Me and my sister used to stay over there fairly often, every couple of months, something like that. But there was one room in particular terrified us. It was the little box room, which was always several degrees colder than the rest of the house and we avoided it wherever possible. Unfortunately this was where she kept most of the toys and games, so we had to go in there at least once per visit. We both used to try and stand outside the door and just lean over and reach in to get what we wanted... anything to avoid actually setting foot in the place. It was only years later, like only a few years ago, that I found out from both my mum and aunt that growing up in that house they were both equally terrified of that room and would never set foot in there. To this day I don't really know what it was about it (other than the palpable chill) that so put the willies up different generations of kids.

One particular time when we were staying over there, my grandmother and sister wanted to go to the shops but I didn't want to go, so I stayed at the house on my own. I can't have been more than 7 or 8 at the time, but it was the 80s I guess... Anyway, only a few minutes after they'd left I started hearing the sound of footsteps above my head, and one of the upstairs doors slammed. I - almost literally - crapped my pants and flew out of the house and ran up the road (luckily finding them).

I had nightmares about that house for years.

----

As a teen I also suffered a lot with sleep paralysis, or waking nightmares, where you become conscious in the middle of the night and you can't move or speak. It's a documented phenomenon to do with the way we sleep, but you see and hear some crazy stuff at times when it happens. One time when my eyes opened I saw a hooded figure standing over me with it's arm reaching down and into my chest... that was a pants-filling moment. I've also heard people screaming, loud music... and a friend at college told me about the time it happened to her she was laying there, unable to move, feeling that someone was holding her hand underneath the pillow, which wasn't pleasant.

----

My sister once got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom (back when we were kids), and when she went back towards her room she saw a hooded figure going inside and standing over her bed. She's adamant to this day. She woke my parents up and my mum bundled us all into the car and drove us to her mum's (the spooky house in Cheam, the words frying pan and fire come to mind :lol:) and the next day arranged for a priest to go to our house and carry out an exorcism.

So, how about the goods guys and gals of The Gamer's Arms? :)

Wrathbone
Local

Re: OOOooooOOOOwww... it's Halloween! The spooky stories thread

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 pm

The most paranormal thing I've ever experienced was when I was in halls at uni. Everyone else was out, as I determined when I went to see if the shower was free. I went back to my room to grab a towel, and when I returned - maybe 20 seconds later - the shower was on full blast. :o

I checked to see if someone had come back, but nobody had. THE HORROR.

A bit lame, admittedly, but I genuinely cannot explain it.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi, I'm John and I don't believe in ghosts.
;)

That being said my only spooky story is one in a "haunted castle" where some friends got married and had their hen/stag do's.
Doing the ghost tour at said castle and felt/saw/heard nothing as expected. Right up until the attic where "the kids used to play in this very room".
Just the very slightest bit of pressure on my right hand, literally like a child was holding my hand. Didn't jump, or say anything, but just kept my hand near my side and it remained right up until I walked out of the door of the room.
And once we were back downstairs, the guide asked if anyone felt anything like their hand being held in the attic, I said yes, and he then asked if I was born in November because they only go for Scorpio's hands.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:01 pm

:o

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Tichinde wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 pm
and he then asked if I was born in November because they only go for Scorpio's hands.
My mind immediately went here:

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:10 pm

I seriously get chills reading this sort of stuff. I asked around at work for spooky stories and pretty much everyone had one. A fun few minutes instead of working :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:36 pm

I have a couple.

My granddad on my mum's side died when I was young. The Xmas following his death, we couldn't find the fairy topper that we put on the tree each year and I remember mum and dad turning the house upside down looking for it. That night my folks woke up to noise downstairs, and went down to find my brother had sleepwalked and was chattering away. They knew not to wake him, so asked what he was doing. "Granddad said that the fairy is on top of the bookshelf, but I can't reach it" he replies, still fast asleep. The bookshelf in question was probably 7 feet tall, and my brother would have been around 7 years old if that.

My dad reached up, felt around, and sure enough there was the fairy.

Second one is a bit daft because of the location. My brother and I used to go to London in the school holidays with my mum - we would visit various places and have a day out. One time she took us to the London Dungeon. We were walking around looking at the waxworks (this was the old one in Tooley Street, not the new place) when a guy hunched over in a rough-spun cowled habit bumped into us. We figured it was someone dressed up to make us jump, so my mum said to get a picture. The guy wouldn't respond to anyone and just kept walking, so my brother and I hurried to catch up to him then walked either side while my mum nipped ahead and took a picture. The picture came out with my brother and I clearly standing posing with absolutely nothing between us.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Good stuff chaps :)

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Mine are probably more substance induced than anything else. Anyway...

When I was about 20 the house had been drinking all sorts and eventually I staggered to bed. Don't remember really, anyway I woke up in the night still dressed and cold as ice.

I was really groggy and very thirsty. I'd intended on trying to get a drink, all of a sudden though I became aware of something ... a darker shape than the dark sort of perched on the end of my bed. I just froze and drew my legs up the bed trying to squint some night sight adjustment. The thing was huge! Vaguely stork shaped in aspect but much larger. The shape eventually resolved itself into a Pterodactyl type thing. Vicious beak and leathery wet looking skin. That was scary enough but it also had a STINK about it. It just perched there clacking it's beak occasionally.

Mental.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:50 pm

I've read a lot of spooky stories in my time, but very few have involved smelly dinosaurs, so bravo Jez :lol:

=D>

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 pm

Mine is kind of shite. I was finished working a late shift so was in the sitting room watching telly for a bit. I must of felt something so turned around and noticed the sitting room door was wide open, got up to close it and the door calmly closed itself while I was still about 5 feet from it. Didn't slam like a draft would cause, just closed as if someone was being polite. Funnily it didn't weird me out and I think I just muttered thanks and went back to watching tv.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:13 pm

I love the "thanks" part of that one. :lol:

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:27 pm

I legitimately (and with no thought to Halloween) encountered on my way to the station tonight someone to the side sat on a bench, wearing the same jacket and trews as me, with my same hair colour/state, also wearing glasses, also texting left-handed. It was enough to break into my inner monologue's usual tirade of profanity and anger at the no-spatial-awareness selfish low-watt-bulbs in this town to stare and think "wut" was I went by.

I have a Twilight Zone 100% going on as and when, thanks to getting the complete collection for my birthday. This is clearly a sign that I must get a few eps in tonight no matter what.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.