Shithole or its lovely here

Exciting adventures IRL.
Achtung Englander

Shithole or its lovely here

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46059306

I used to live in Maidenhead which used to be its lovely here before 30 years of neglect resulted with the town being a complete shithole. Now live in Wokingham, which is lovely.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Drarok

Re: Shithole or its lovely here

Post by Drarok » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Vape shops were counted as a 'healthier' business, because of their role in discouraging smoking.
What?! No, fuck off. People have started taking up vaping with no prior smoking. That's not healthier.
However, the report added the "precise long-term effects of vaping are unknown".
Exactly!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Confirmed Shithole here.

It's proper grim. :(

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:56 pm

You haven't lost any more neighbours recently, have you?

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Everyone on our block that was here when we moved in is now dead. Next door is still sitting empty after the unpleasantness.

Our high street is a right laugh, the bewildered and the permanently unemployable stagger aimlessly down a cavalcade of boarded up premises, pawn, charity and vape shops. Oh and Greggs, we have a Greggs.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 pm

I've had a fucking worldy moving from Sunderland to Edinburgh. I feel better already.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:19 pm
Everyone on our block that was here when we moved in is now dead. Next door is still sitting empty after the unpleasantness.

Our high street is a right laugh, the bewildered and the permanently unemployable stagger aimlessly down a cavalcade of boarded up premises, pawn, charity and vape shops. Oh and Greggs, we have a Greggs.
We've got three! :o

I don't know if that makes us better or worse... :-k

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 am

It's better in the sense that you're three times as likely to get chronically debilitating explosive diarrhoea.

Worse in that you have to budget more for toilet paper to compensate.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46059306

I used to live in Maidenhead which used to be its lovely here before 30 years of neglect resulted with the town being a complete shithole. Now live in Wokingham, which is lovely.
Winnersh.

Winnersh Triangle.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:50 pm

hey we should go for a drink sometime as you are only 10 mins away from me
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:04 pm

I live in neither of those places ¬_¬

I did used to live about an hour away from there by train though. Also I have mates over Reading way that I visit when I'm back home.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Don't worry, I got the David Brent reference ;)

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Just an update on our neighbour situation. After several suspicious deaths next door things finally settled down over the last few months. We got lovely new Chinese neighbours who showered us with gifts constantly which was a highly uncomfortable situation to be in, but my pleas to stop sadly didn't overcome the language barrier. I put it down to a cultural difference thing and besides it's hardly the worst thing in the world compared to what we've dealt with in the past. Well turns out they basically turned next door into a top-of-the-line hydroponic grow operation that's now in the process of being ripped out by the rozzers. The mad thing is it's not that first time the police have shutdown grow ops at that address albeit the last couple of times were just an old couple and their fairly blunt low-tech approach not this Minority Report style futuristic shit.

I made a wee video of some of the action for the missus but I suppose you could have a gander too...

Apologies for the accent. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Your palpable delight at watching the situation unfold was totes adorbz MM :lol:

So, about these 'gifts' they were showering you with... :-k

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:24 pm

As long as its not bodies or bits of bodies coming out in those bags I'm a happy camper.

When they first moved in they handed in multiple gift bags of stuff; chocolate, wine, candles all sorts of shit. We figured they were just being neighbourly so returned the gesture with a wee house warming thing, but almost on a weekly basis they would be at the door with stuff, I was really uncomfortable with it all they didn't speak enough english to really communicate. Once they came to the door with a massive carrier bag full of cherries, it was totally bizarre. I kept telling them that there was no need for all this, but they were always at the door with something or other including this chinese thing that looked like a cake, smelt like a cake, but tasted like it shot forth from satan's rancid testicles. They were always cooking stuff in the garden too not on a BBQ or anything I'm talking chicken on a spit over an open fire kind of stuff. We're smack bang in the middle of a council estate ffs and they're living it up Bear Grylls style in the back garden, it was really weird.

At first it seemed that it was a young couple with a baby, but it quickly became apparent that they weren't staying there and it was an older couple and another younger fella. None of them acted like they were together they always walked separate from each other and generally didn't seem to fit together if you know what I mean. They seemed to befriend the elderly gentleman next door to them to the point of maybe being a little too forward and pushy with him in terms of taking over his garden for the aforementioned Survivor recreations. I would've been concerned about it if the old guy wasn't always away with his caravan all the time and he didn't seem to mind their company.

In retrospect the whole thing was just odd and should have had the old spidey sense tingling. I probably let it slide simply due to trying to be overly accommodating because they were weren't from around here if that makes any sense. Hey ho onto the next ones I suppose. Who's it going to be next?