Game of the Year Awards

Exciting adventures IRL.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Game of the Year Awards

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:35 pm

So it's approaching that time of the year again and I thought I would do something similar to last year as it seemed to work well. For those who weren't around or don't remember we used Google Forms to create a questionnaire that people could fill out and then I collated the results.

The categories we had last year were

Top 5 games of 2018
Best Game not released in 2018
Biggest Surprise
Best looking
Biggest disappointment/flop
Worst Game of the Year
Worst trend
Most Anticipated

I am tempted to drop 'Worst Trend' because I think it will just be microtransactons again. Other than that I think it's a pretty good list.

I've also started a list of notable games that have come out this year that people can use to jog their memory. Please add anything you think should be on there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Game of the Year Awards

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Sorry about the google sheet issue, should be editable by everyone now.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 am

What a relatively poor year it has been for new titles. Not much leaping out at me!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 pm

I think it's been pretty good. There is no standout like last year but there have been a lot of good games.

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Can we not include Hollow Knight for its console release...?

(Yakuza 0 was last year, by the way too)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:42 pm

I've played 6 of those games... should make my top 5 pretty straightforward :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I added a bunch more stuff just from my Steam list... have purchased a fair few new games, but a lot of them have been smaller indie titles.

Sorry, wasn't sure how to sort alphabetically so I just added them all at the end.

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:42 pm
I've played 6 of those games... should make my top 5 pretty straightforward :lol:
I've played only one of them :lol:

(Two if you count Yakuza Zero, which you can't).

Maybe you're thinking of Yakuza Kiwami?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Wizard Of Odd wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:12 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:42 pm
I've played only one of them :lol:

(Two if you count Yakuza Zero, which you can't).

Maybe you're thinking of Yakuza Kiwami?
No, I was talking about the list of games that came out this year!

I've never played a Yakuza game.

Edit: Although I think that last bit was aimed at Dj/the person who put Yakuza 0 on the list, never mind.

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't really know what you're taking about.

:lol:

I said I'd only played one of the games on the list. Then I said two, if we count Yakuza 0, but we can't as it didn't come out this year.

Then I wondered out loud whether you or whoever put Yakuza 0 on the list was maybe thinking of Yakuza Kiwami, which I thought came out this year. Having checked, however, it didn't. That was last year too.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Wizard Of Odd wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:20 pm
I don't really know what you're taking about.

:lol:

I said I'd only played one of the games on the list. Then I said two, if we count Yakuza 0, but we can't as it didn't come out this year.

Then I wondered out loud whether you or whoever put Yakuza 0 on the list was maybe thinking of Yakuza Kiwami, which I thought came out this year. Having checked, however, it didn't. That was last year too.
Yeah, apologies, I got that when I reread your post. The first time I saw it I thought you'd read my post and thought I was talking about Yakuza games in my previous post. Crossed wires, apologies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:28 pm

If a game has come out this year and you played it this year it can be considered for GOTY, so Yakzua Zero counts as it came out on PC and sure you can add Hollow Knight for Switch.

Don't worry about alphabetising the list Sly, it's just to help job people's memories.

EDIT: I added Hollow Knight.

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:44 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:28 pm
If a game has come out this year and you played it this year it can be considered for GOTY, so Yakzua Zero counts as it came out on PC and sure you can add Hollow Knight for Switch.

Don't worry about alphabetising the list Sly, it's just to help job people's memories.

EDIT: I added Hollow Knight.
Ah OK cool. So I take it you liked Yakuza Zero then? I'd been wanting to get in to the series for ages, but hate starting things not at the beginning, so Zero was perfect for me when it came out. I really liked it, great story, combat, characters, the whole package was really nice. I spent ages just playing Outrun in the arcade, too.

I was a little less enthusiastic about the remake of the first game, Kiwami, but it still had a good story. Just a bit slow and less to do in the world. Looking forward to all the others making their way over to PS4 though as I'm definitely sticking with the series.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Yakuza Zero would have been my GOTY last year if it wasn't for Zelda it was a fantastic game. I've fallen in love with the series and already played 6 and Kiwami 1 and plan to get Kiwami 2 for Christmas. I was a little disappointed with 6 as I felt it didn't quite hit the high notes, the side stories were not quite up to the series' usual quality and I disliked how they ended it. I did like the new engine though and being able to go into buildings without a load screen is something the series really needed.

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:02 pm

The Bards Tale VI. Been utterly engrossed with it and it was released only a few months back :)
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.