The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Drarok

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Drarok » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:41 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:07 am
The voters the Tories are appealing to have this anxiety about asylum seekers (to the point where I've seen people fretting about them taking up entire hotels and stockpiling weapons for some big assault, which is patently bollocks) and they're being told that they're correct - that they SHOULD be afraid, that time is running out and we need to abandon facts and laws to secure our country's future. It's beyond fearmongering - it's pure evil.
I've seen people repeating the hotel bollocks, but when I looked up the figures, they're tiny. There's somewhere in the region of 10k hotels in the country, which absolutely eclipses the number that are housing these folks; around 50k people in 400 hotels back in August.

Plus, the laser focus on "small boats", "small boats", "small boats" is extremely frustrating and leads to their supporters start conflating cause and effect. The NHS isn't bursting at the seams because of small boats overrunning everything; it's years of neglect and mismanagement, compounded by our perceived xenophobia discouraging new people and actively scaring people who already live here!

The pure heartlessness on display is disgusting as well, who on earth looks at a rising number of rough sleepers in tents and comes up with the idea to ban tents instead of helping those people?! You could stick them in the hotels as well, bump up your scare numbers! (I know it's not that simple an issue.)

I hate our govt, which will probably make me an enemy of the state soon enough.

Ugh. :-&
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:52 pm

Drarok wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:41 pm
I've seen people repeating the hotel bollocks, but when I looked up the figures, they're tiny. There's somewhere in the region of 10k hotels in the country, which absolutely eclipses the number that are housing these folks; around 50k people in 400 hotels back in August.
This is what happens when you have people whose primary source of 'news' is TikTok.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:18 pm

Much as I agree that social media shouldn't be a sole news source, it's not as if the mainstream media is a whole lot better. The BBC, who are chartered to be impartial, are basically a Tory mouthpiece and have been for years. Yesterday evening they were announcing how big a deal a revolt inside the opposition party as their major headline, while relegating the story that our bloody Prime Minister is advocating ignoring the will of our justice system to push through his evil anti-migrant agenda to a minor story.

The truth is that every form of media has an agenda, and I can perhaps understand why there's so much hate in modern politics because it really isn't easy to get an impartial viewpoint anymore.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:34 pm

I was about to reply that the problem with things like the nonsense about armed refugees in hotels on social media is that these stories are entirely invented with zero evidence and not subject to any scrutiny or standards, and then I realised I was describing the Daily Mail.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:16 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:52 pm
This is what happens when you have people whose primary source of 'news' is TikTok.
Absolutely not, no. I'm not even sure some of them know what TikTok is.
Raid wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:18 pm
The truth is that every form of media has an agenda, and I can perhaps understand why there's so much hate in modern politics because it really isn't easy to get an impartial viewpoint anymore.
I don't think the two have to be related, though? If I find a bunch of stories that bolster my personal world view, why would I then get angry and hateful? It's like more and more people are just incapable of disagreeing. We don't have to agree to not be shitty horrible fuckwads! :(
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:24 am

Coming to a region near you:

Bankrupt councils are cheap at twice the price...for corporate governance.

https://westcountryvoices.co.uk/reflect ... uth-devon/
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:09 am

It’s only 7am and this has already made my day.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:41 am

How they overcame the urge to hoof her into the harbour - well they have more self control than I would have done!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:41 am

So... George Galloway is an MP again, ready with a can of petrol to hurl onto the dumpster fire of current politics. I best stock up on popcorn.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:23 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68556914
Under the new definition, which comes into force on Thursday, extremism is "the promotion or advancement of an ideology based on violence, hatred or intolerance, that aims to:

1. negate or destroy the fundamental rights and freedoms of others; or

2. undermine, overturn or replace the UK's system of liberal parliamentary democracy and democratic rights; or

3. intentionally create a permissive environment for others to achieve the results in (1) or (2)."
The Conservative Party, then?

I'm not being flippant; that accurately describes their actions with regards to extraordinary levels of gerrymandering, the scaremongering over immigrants, the curtails placed on peaceful protest and various other things.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:08 pm

Next up; a redefinition of the term "undermine the UK's system of liberal parliamentary democracy and democratic rights" to ensure the Tories don't count.

I really think it's bizarre that gerrymandering is possible in our current legal system, at least without signoff from local leaders. I had a flyer from our local MP (Labour) this week saying that under the new constituency border, the results from the last general election would have meant a victory for the Tories, which is a disgusting thought as our current MP is one of the few I've lived under that I actually respect.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:57 pm

Yep, Cat Smith is good - active in parliament, engages with the community, no lunatic policies as far as I’m aware. I loathe Starmer, but I can justify voting Labour again (rather than another non-Tory party) because I’d actually be voting for Cat.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:57 pm

I live in North Hampshire, where you could stick a blue rosette on a piece of shit with a KKK hood on it and it would be elected over any other party sadly.

I have to put up with this Serco funded Edwin, whose only brief moment in the spotlight was being made a minister by Liz Truss:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25419 ... hire/votes

I oppose pretty much everything he stands for.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:16 pm

Snowy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:57 pm
I live in North Hampshire, where you could stick a blue rosette on a piece of shit with a KKK hood on it and it would be elected over any other party sadly.
Lol... I can only sympathise with this being just up the road, don't think I've once voted for the winning side in any form of election since moving here

eny

Post by eny » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:39 pm

We have clown hipster Steve Baker...he has the dorm village hinterland to the West of Wycombe to help keep him in power...looking at the election map it is plain to see that boundaries have been massaged more to his favour for the next GE...i.e. more rural area added, more urban area taken away.

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn