The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Hatredsheart

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:32 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:54 am

Probably a naive question, but can the UK rejoin the EU if there was a change of government and a referendum supported it or has that ship very much sailed?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:00 am

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:54 am
Probably a naive question, but can the UK rejoin the EU if there was a change of government and a referendum supported it or has that ship very much sailed?
I think the technical answer is yes, but in practical terms I don't think there is likely to be enough agreement on the issue even within the parties themselves for it to become policy.

With that said, if there was another referendum, even one positioned as a consultative vote rather than a binding one as the first one was, if there was a popular majority for rejoining maybe it would prompt a bit of a rethink for those on the fence but afraid to go publicly pro-Remain because of the potential backlash from Leavers

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:02 am

I would have thought that'd be up to the EU. I don't remember there being any talk of our leaving being permanent, but we'd be re-joining as a new member rather than resuming our previous status. I'd be very surprised if the EU said No, at least without outside interference, because showing the leaving of a nation as the colossal mistake that it was can only do the EU good.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:09 am

Meanwhile we have an absentee PM while numerous critical public services strike, to the point where the emergency services are now saying you should only call 999 if you think you're going to die.

I have to wonder what level of catastrophe it would take for the Tories to recognise they are now incapable of governing (and arguably have been for some time) and need to call an election. Maybe we'll find out.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:41 pm

I don't think they have any interest in governing. They're trying to pin everything on the workers in the hopes that the public gradually turn on them whilst the ministers ride it all out.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:22 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:00 am

:lol:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:12 am

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:54 am
It is possible but after the debacle of leaving rejoining would not be a done deal by a long shot, plus we had about the best deal of any member state and would not get a sniff of that again.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:55 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64158179

WTF. The country is crumbling around us and our absentee PM emerges with a grand plan for… maths?

Even ignoring the fact that it doesn’t address any of the immediate crises we’re suffering, what a stupid bloody idea. Basic maths is important to a point, but having done A-level maths I know firsthand what a waste of time it is for the vast majority of people who study it. Unless you need it for future academic or career purposes (or just love maths, I guess), there is no point in studying maths beyond GCSE level. I went on to study computer science at uni and I was confidently told by everyone around me that A-level maths would be essential for it. Was it balls.

But yeah, let’s get everyone doing maths until they’re 18. I’m sure that’ll equip students for the world ahead and put them right in the mood for voting Conservative in their first elections. ](*,)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:04 am

Who would have thought an independently wealthy Tory Oxford grad would be out of touch? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! :shock:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:18 am

I actually am shocked. :lol: Even for Sunak, this is bewildering. It’s like coming home from holiday to find your house is on fire and then deciding to re-pave the driveway.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:29 am

Please excuse my ignorance of the UK educational system, but maths is an optional subject after a point?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:40 am

Assuming it's the same as when I was at school 20+ years ago, some amount of maths has to be studied up to the end of secondary school at age 16. For students that go on to sixth-form (16-18) and some vocational studies, if they don't have a maths GCSE or equivalent then I think they're required to do a basic refresher course on maths which is the equivalent of Blackadder teaching Baldrick to count beans.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:39 am

Wrathbone wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:18 am
I actually am shocked. :lol: Even for Sunak, this is bewildering. It’s like coming home from holiday to find your house is on fire and then deciding to re-pave the driveway.
I love this <word I can't currently remember>. Very apt
-- To be completed at some point --