The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Rossell

Re: The Elephant in the Room - Brexit

Post by Rossell » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:21 pm

My wording is a bit crap there. Basically I've voted but never fully got behind the people I voted for.

The way it's worked for me is voting on key issues that matter to me such as NHS, which has led to me voting Labour even though I'm not the biggest Corbyn fan.

It doesn't really matter in my particular area though which has been a Tory ground for years. The MP behind it is the same one that got sacked as Immigration minister because he had an illegal immigrant in his house.

I apologise if the above doesn't make sense, I'm a bit tired.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:46 pm

Went to the 'stop the coup' protest in my city today, quite a big turnout but ultimately won't achieve anything. It's about time we embraced the French spirit of protest and started breaking stuff I think.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:53 pm

Mantis wrote:It's about time we embraced the French spirit of protest 
Maybe you think we should guillotine the government, church and royal family too, eh?! :x
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:57 pm

Just more meaningful protest with massive civil disobedience on a consistent basis would be nice.

But in the long term I don't see why we shouldn't abolish the monarchy, remove all religious figures from their guaranteed positions within our legislature and throw all the corrupt, largely Tory, MPs in jail; sure why not. Save the guillotine for the worst offenders like Johnson and Farage.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Jacob Rees-Mogg has accused a doctor of “fear-mongering” after he challenged the Commons Leader to say how many people he would accept could die as a result of a no-deal Brexit. As the Press Association reports, Dr David Nicol, a consultant neurologist involved in the Operation Yellowhammer report into the impact of a no-deal Brexit on the NHS, called in to LBC’s Ring Rees-Mogg show to ask what “mortality rate” he would accept if the UK crashed out of the EU without a deal. Nicol asked:

Having been involved in writing the plans for mitigation and having whistle-blown because I felt they were unsafe, what level of mortality rate are you willing to accept in the light of a no-deal Brexit?

Rees-Mogg replied:

I don’t think there’s any reason to suppose that a no-deal Brexit should lead to a mortality rate. I think this is the worst excess of Project Fear and I’m surprised that a doctor in your position would be fear-mongering in this way on public radio.

As PA reports, Nicol told the prominent Brexiter:

Can I remind you I wrote the plans of mitigation?

But Rees-Mogg replied:

Well you didn’t write very good plans if you hadn’t worked out how to mitigate, had you? It’s fortunate they are being written by other people now who are serious about mitigating, rather than remoaners.

Nicol said people could die because of potential problems with access to drugs and radioactive isotopes in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Rees-Mogg said there were “reserve plans to fly drugs in if necessary”. He said:

This is a major focus of government policy. I think it’s deeply irresponsible, Dr Nicol, of you to call in and try to spread fear across the country.

I think it’s typical of remainer campaigners and you should be quite ashamed, I’m afraid.
Jesus, fucking, Christ. We are actually being led by complete psychopaths. This man needs to be forcibly removed from office I fucking swear. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm genuinely worried about how things will go if a hard brexit occurs. Knowing how fragile all supply and logistic chains are, things could get very bad very quickly. I'm back to starting to stockpile food.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Nah food supplies will be fine because Michael Gove says so. Ignore the fact that the directors of all the main supermarket chains have been saying for three years that large scale disruption at the ports will cause significant shortages on various foods.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Both my parents and several friends are on long-term medication which has to be taken on regular, specific days, and failure to do so can cause serious complications. Prescriptions can't be stockpiled by patients because you can only order them so far in advance, and obviously there are limits to how much you can get. Considering how difficult it already is at times to co-ordinate prescriptions between doctors and pharmacies, the slightest of disruptions with medical supplies due to Brexit will be catastrophic.

I'm seriously concerned that the people closest to me could be in real danger in the event of a no-deal Brexit. There could be pharmacists having to decide who gets medicine and who doesn't, possibly with lives on the line.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Food or medical shortages won't affect any of these cunts. If Boris feels poorly I'm sure a trip to a private clinic in Switzerland will sort him out in a jiffy.

They probably have US drug companies lining up to supply stuff at an nicely elevated price.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:20 pm
If Boris feels poorly I'm sure a trip to a private clinic in Switzerland will sort him out in a jiffy.
He may want to venture outside of Europe in that circumstance...

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Brexit needs to happen as the hedge fund guys have already planned their Christmas bonus spending when they shorten the Pound in late October. JRM is on a hedge fund board and a gentleman must keep his word. Look these Porsche cars do not pay for themselves and someone has to drink all that expensive wine otherwise it will go to waste. Think about the City boys. They work hard. They need a multi million bet that is 100% certifiable.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:20 pm
If Boris feels poorly I'm sure a trip to a private clinic in Switzerland will sort him out in a jiffy.
He may want to venture outside of Europe in that circumstance...
Outside the EU mate and the Swiss seem to have few qualms about dealing with flagrant shit bags.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Are they calling a general election?

[edit] that's a no then....God this is an utter fucking mess. ](*,)
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Not yet, but Johnson has threatened to call one if MPs vote to enact new legislation preventing a No Deal scenario on the 31st of October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49558596
They are expected to put forward legislation on Tuesday under Standing Order 24 - a Commons rule which allows urgent debates to be called.

The bill, which has now been published by Labour MP Hilary Benn, would force the PM to request a Brexit delay to 31 January 2020 unless MPs had approved a new deal, or voted in favour of a no deal departure, by 19 October.
I'm honestly terrified that a General Election now would keep the Tories in power, despite the colossal fucking up of our country over the last decade. Labour are somehow still behind in the regular You Gov polls that get published, in what should have been the biggest Conservative own-goal in history.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 pm
Not yet, but Johnson has threatened to call one if MPs vote to enact new legislation preventing a No Deal scenario on the 31st of October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49558596
They are expected to put forward legislation on Tuesday under Standing Order 24 - a Commons rule which allows urgent debates to be called.

The bill, which has now been published by Labour MP Hilary Benn, would force the PM to request a Brexit delay to 31 January 2020 unless MPs had approved a new deal, or voted in favour of a no deal departure, by 19 October.
I'm honestly terrified that a General Election now would keep the Tories in power, despite the colossal fucking up of our country over the last decade. Labour are somehow still behind in the regular You Gov polls that get published, in what should have been the biggest Conservative own-goal in history.
Genuinely stumped how the opposition hasn't managed to capitalise of how terrible the current Tory government is and has been all through this shambles. Some abhorent opinions and behavior that I've not seen for a long time as well as utter incompetance.