The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:19 pm

Bonkers when you consider that he only did the Covid furlough scheme because he had to be pushed into it when he saw that all of Europe was taking similar measures to stop their economies collapsing. Plus his idea of help with energy bills was a £200 loan that we had to pay back off our future bills.

I don't think he's going to be a particularly fiscally competent PM. Just more austerity which will choke off the economy once again most likely.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:54 pm

There was some bitter irony in Truss’s leaving speech, where she described Russia as an autocratic regime where the power lies in the hands of a few. Such a staggering lack of self-awareness.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:53 pm

More info on how Braverman sank her own ship:

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:35 am

I suppose it's vaguely impressive, managing to tank your credibility on fixing the mistakes of Truss's government by immediately hiring one of them, in just a few hours.

Incidentally, every time I see a photo of Braverman, all I can see is an Apprentice candidate that gets fired in week 3 because she can't play well with others.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:08 am

Raid wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:35 am
Incidentally, every time I see a photo of Braverman, all I can see is an Apprentice candidate that gets fired in week 3 because she can't play well with others.
I can't un-see it now. :lol:

I don't understand why Sunak's re-appointed her as Home Secretary. If you're trying to restore integrity (or the illusion of it), the first step is to appoint a cabinet that is beyond immediate reproach, and yet the woman who resigned for essentially gross misconduct 6 days ago is now back in one of the highest positions in government. The same bloody position she resigned from.

...Am I missing something here? It makes no sense.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:36 am

If you're missing something then so am I, because it's absolutely ludicrous. It has immediately killed his credibility not even 24 hours into the job and I cannot fathom why he'd do it.

I know I'm already more than a little cynical when it comes to discussing politics, but Braverman being put back in that position has just completely wrecked my ability to care. These people can and will do anything they want, and nobody is able to stop it from happening, so what's the bloody point in worrying about it? The country is being run by and for a tiny group of people, we're already living in a dystopia.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:04 am

The only explanations I can muster are:

- Sunak is desperately trying to bring the far right of the party on his side. But it still doesn't make sense, because it's going to be a huge distraction until she's inevitably fired and will likely be very unpopular with other factions in the party.

- Braverman used her previous tenure as Home Sec to obtain kompromat on Sunak (and maybe others). It sounds ridiculous, but I'm struggling to come up with anything else plausible.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:00 am

I think the fact that we're jumping to "what do they *have* on you?!" not even a day after Sunak took the job shows just how untenable the Tories' position is, but I absolutely agree. Something here does not add up.
Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, he said Mr Sunak had accepted her apology and chose to re-appoint her because she had "very, very recent" experience of the Home Office.
Yes, very recent experience BREAKING THE BLOODY RULES. Why would they think that was a suitable answer? You need to explain to us exactly why you believe that her breaking the rules was either misreported or unimportant. Sending government documents to people outside of the government that should not have access to them is a massive breach of the trust these people are supposed to maintain.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:07 am

Maybe she will be the fall guy for what is yet to come...things are going to get very dark in the next few years. Intent, worldwide, is showing that ''for the 'good' of the few at the expense of the all'' is the priority.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:14 am

He's already evaded multiple attempts by Starmer to quiz him on Braverman, saying that " she made an error of judgement, but she had recognised that." When Starmer reiterated the question, he just says he'd already addressed it.

There *has* to be more pressing on this.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:23 am

An error of judgement doesn’t begin to describe it. We’re in an era of high global tensions, with our primary antagonist (Russia) having a recent history of cyber attacks and crime on our country and others, and our Home Secretary doesn’t see an issue with firing off confidential Home Office documents from her personal gmail account. One of the emails she sent was to the wrong fucking person! And then she apparently lied to Liz Truss about it.

She’s not simply unfit for office, she’s a direct threat to national security. If I was Putin I’d be telling my intelligence agencies to hammer her accounts with phishing emails in the expectation that she’ll mess up in short order.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:46 pm

Does anyone else think Sunak's reintroduction of the fracking ban is a distraction tactic to take the attention away from the Braverman appointment? The repeal of the ban was almost universally criticised, and it just feels like such an easy win when even fossil fuel CEOs were saying it was pointless. I've already seen people complimenting him on the move, despite it being the correction of a mistake and not some forward-thinking policy.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:56 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:19 pm

Meanwhile, Hat Mancock is expanding his career…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -celebrity
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:42 pm

I suppose it answers the question of whether he’d eat cockroaches to make even more money.