The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:42 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:24 pm
Ok, there's a mechanism by which a GE can be called, but it still involves the Conservatives voting to put themselves out of power, because they're almost certain to lose it at this stage.
Under normal circumstances I’d agree it’s not going to happen, but the Tory backbenchers have been very vocally discontent this week. I think it’s conceivable that enough of them are so disillusioned with the constant crises that they’d throw their own party under the bus and get it over with. Because what’s the alternative? What combination of PM and cobbled-together cabinet from the party as it stands is going to result in stability? They’re fucked and they know it, and a swift exit now might be seen as preferable to 2 more years of never-ending and inevitable disaster.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:04 pm

It's maybe not *entirely* out of the question, but even that livid backbencher on the previous page said "there's nothing more ex- than an ex-MP". I think if they had even a small chance of winning it'd be a different matter, but they were 30 points behind Labour last week. Having a GE now isn't going to make the choices for a cabinet any better.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:59 pm

More likely we end up with Sunak or Mordaunt as PM and they try to salvage their polling numbers. Sunak might win more favour with the public and be seen as competent now that everything he predicted from Truss' disastrous economic plan came true. Would be a bit tragic given he clearly doesn't have a clue about so much else.

We desperately need a Labour government.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Yup. There is no chance of a GE happening now as long as the Tories have any say in it. They would be voting themselves out of power, when they can just have a 'stable' candidate like Sunak. The public will forget about this stuff in a couple of years. Sigh.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:16 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:35 am

:lol:

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:06 pm

Surely not Johnson again!?

eny

Post by eny » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:24 pm

Apparently he has the requisite 100 MP's backing...

On another note:

Diabolical.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:11 pm

arqueturus wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:06 pm
Surely not Johnson again!?
Exactly.

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:12 am

The absolute gall of him to think he can make a comeback. The sycophant Tory MPs who are just creaming themselves at the prospect of him returning make my skin crawl so much. And the worst thing is that he only needs 100 MPs to back him because if it goes to the membership vote he is all but guaranteed to win because the Tory party members thought he was wrongly ousted in the first place.

I'm not one for protests normally as I think they are pretty pointless. But if he gets back in I will be joining whatever movement forms. I sincerely hope there is mass civil unrest. I'd rather they burn parliament down than let that absolute narcissistic sociopath back into Number 10.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:59 am

Can you say likely outcome ten times fast? Yes.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:58 pm

I’m flabbergasted - Boris Johnson has confirmed he’s not running! I’d more or less convinced myself that we’d be lumped with him for another two years. I fully expect Sunak to be terrible (not least due to some of his despicable policies), but at least he’s a new kind of terrible. On the other hand, you have to wonder just how bad you have to be to lose against Liz Truss.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:29 am

He has pulled out of the running, which will only increase his cachet. He reckons he needs a united Cuntservative party if he were to 'govern effectively' (he wouldn't know how), but he is a smart enough animal to know that whoever steps into the job now is doomed to fail, so he will preen on the sidelines.

A charge of treason would be too good for that POS.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:06 am

I can't say I'm really that surprised. The party would never let Johnson have the top seat again after an extremely public kicking him out of it just a few months back. The Tories know that this year has been appalling for their public perception (entirely deserved of course), and they'll want someone that can at least pass as professional to take over. Saying that of course, this is what made me think Sunak would get the job last time too. He's just as awful as everyone else in the party, sure, but he at least appears outwardly competent (even if the atrocious state this country's economy is in is partially his fault).

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:37 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:06 am
The party would never let Johnson have the top seat again after an extremely public kicking him out of it just a few months back.
As much as I'd like to believe that even the Tories wouldn't be that brazen, I don't. They let him get away for months on end with multiple debacles that any other PM would have shamefully resigned from. They put Liz Truss in power despite the public perception that she was useless (which was proven correct). They brought British political corruption to an all-time high, hardly bothering to cover their tracks because they knew they'd get away with it.

Bringing Boris Johnson back as PM would be scandalous in the public perception, reckless for the economy and with any other person would never have been given credence. I have no doubt that the party would have leapt at the chance.