The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Elephant in the Room - Brexit

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:25 am

Raid wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:17 am
The BBC are reporting that Johnson's agreed to resign (staying in place until autumn). Darn.
Would the new party leader not have authority to remove him as PM?

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:29 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:37 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:25 am
Raid wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:17 am
The BBC are reporting that Johnson's agreed to resign (staying in place until autumn). Darn.
Would the new party leader not have authority to remove him as PM?
He'll basically be staying on until the party choose a new leader, or at least I think that's implied. I don't think Johnson is PM because he was elected, the Conservatives were elected and he's their leader.

The "darn" was more because I was still hoping for a spiteful snap election. Resigning means the Tories have two years to regroup, the new leader can distance themselves from Johnson and persuade the country that everything that went wrong during the last few years was Johnson's fault.

I suppose what could still happen is that the Tories could still change their rules, put through another vote of no confidence, remove Johnson and stick a caretaker PM in until they choose a new leader. I just don't see Johnson being able to govern for the next few months when nobody apparently wants to be in his cabinet.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:14 am

Looks like large swathes of the party aren't going to accept him staying on until the Autumn and are calling for Dominic Raab to be a caretaker PM. What's disturbing is the suggestion that Johnson could escalate our involvement in the Ukraine conflict if he stayed on, using that a pretext to drag out his term even longer. It's a sad day when your leader is capable of using the same political tactics as Emperor Palpatine.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:52 am

The Haunted Pencil is now Foreign Secretary..."The Empire Will Be Rebuilt!" The lardscrote is acting like business as usual....he should be nowhere near appointments now. Disgusting behaviour.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:44 am

He's just resigned then. Will the tosser still be around until he's replaced or is he just gone?
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-62072419

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm

I'll be amazed if he survives the weekend.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:14 pm

UK PM Boris Johnson blames politics' 'herd instinct' for his removal from office but admits 'no one is indispensable'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-him.html
Last edited by Lenny Solidus on Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:16 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm
I'll be amazed if he survives the weekend.
The 1922 Committee doesn't meet until next week I don't think. I'm not sure what can actually remove him before then.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:26 pm

A bulldozer?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:30 pm

Last the month then :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 pm

Fucks sakes, the new cabinet are apparently happy with him staying on as caretaker PM until a new leader is chosen, although there are rumours they want to get this done before the summer break, which would be remarkably quick.

There's also a rumour that Johnson is planning a big wedding party at Chequers in a few weeks, and that's why he wants to stay in the chair for now (presumably he'd have to move out if he gave it up). I can't say I'm surprised.

Starmer was saying that if Johnson doesn't leave immediately, he'll trigger a a vote of no confidence in the PM. Ball's in your court now Kier, might be nice for you to actually do something for a change.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:57 pm

Sunak has unsurprisingly launched his campaign to be Tory leader.
Announcing his decision in a social media video, under the slogan "Ready for Rishi", Mr Sunak said he wanted to "restore trust, rebuild the economy and reunite the country".
I'm sure your background of family tax evasion and literally being the person responsible for the state the economy is currently in will stand you in good stead. I also really don't like it when politicians try to get you to use their first name; not only do I not want to be that personable with them, but it gives them this sense of familiarity that I think lets them get away with more. It worked astoundingly well for Johnson and look at the shit he managed to get away with.

Incidentally, any chance we can rename this thread "The British Politics thread" or something? I feel like it's basically being used for that now.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:35 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:57 pm
Sunak has unsurprisingly launched his campaign to be Tory leader.
Announcing his decision in a social media video, under the slogan "Ready for Rishi", Mr Sunak said he wanted to "restore trust, rebuild the economy and reunite the country".
I'm sure your background of family tax evasion and literally being the person responsible for the state the economy is currently in will stand you in good stead. I also really don't like it when politicians try to get you to use their first name; not only do I not want to be that personable with them, but it gives them this sense of familiarity that I think lets them get away with more. It worked astoundingly well for Johnson and look at the shit he managed to get away with.

Incidentally, any chance we can rename this thread "The British Politics thread" or something? I feel like it's basically being used for that now.
Yep

Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:58 pm

“How could it be worse?” - the Rishi Sunak bumper sticker.