The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:31 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:55 pm
Give it to Kemi Badenoch. They’re all arseholes but as least she has kind of cool looking hair.

They’re not going to win me over on policies so that’s all I have left to judge them on….
Didn't she say something about being anti-woke culture? Your a black woman running for PM, you had better fucking hope people are woke.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:54 pm

Badenoch and Braverman are both utter lunatics. Both of them are absolutely nasty pieces of work. Pretty sure they're both against net zero targets and want to go all in on fracking too, because what we really need right now is more fossil fuels being burned up.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:28 am

What an absolute shower the Tory candidates are. Modern politics - when did it go so wrong?

Reading this this morning - absolutely heartbreaking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62128069

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:55 am

Part of me hopes that the candidates are just trying to appeal to Tory members right now, hence why they're talking about tax breaks and just generally being bigots. Maybe that will ease at later stages of voting. The other part of me hopes that this isn't just smoke and mirrors, that the Tories vote in the most unsympathetic arsehole they can find, and the opposition turn it against them at the next election.

Hoping, but not realistically expecting. I've lost so much faith in our political system since 2016 that I usually just default to "we're fucked".

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:06 am

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:11 am

Part of me is frustrated that our PM is once again shirking his responsibilities, but the rest of me thinks we're probably better off because of it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:17 pm

Even if we had a functioning government I wouldn't hold out much hope that this lot would do anything to address the current numerous crises the country is facing. In fact I imagine they'd likely end up doing something to make them worse.

This leadership contest has been quite something. The last few days I've glanced at the headlines in the shops and the papers have gone mad about trans women and what Penny Mordaunt thinks about them. 90%+ of the country couldn't give a rats arse about these issues and yet the Tories and papers are obsessed over it. The only candidate who has said anything even remotely sensible on it is Grant Shapps, which is how you really know when they've gone off the deep end if he's coming across as the reasonable one. They are so desperate to turn the culture war on woke into the next big thing in the UK because they are utterly bereft of ideas on every other front, but I can't see people buying into it when there are more pressing matters at hand like the crazy inflation, ongoing housing and energy crises.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:57 pm

It doesn't matter who gets in, or how competent they are, they are only there to push us further through the agenda, which is to continue to redistribute public funds from public services into private interests which will fund eventual corporate feudalism, where entire cities and zones will exist with their own governance, laws and labour rules. Whenever you hear "charter cities", be terrified, it is the future they want.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:21 pm

Tory thinks people sheltering from the heat are cowards.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/17/tory-mp- ... -17013249/
‘It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting.

‘Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.’
And, perhaps inevitably,
The MP has been given a £50,000 salary by an oil company since 2018, according to the parliamentary register.
Is there even one Tory MP that isn't corrupt? And I don't just mean corrupt, I mean not comically corrupt? For fucks sakes he's a former climate change minister being paid by a bloody oil company!

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:26 pm

He probably thinks Boris sheltering in a fridge was fine though.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:28 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:21 pm
Is there even one Tory MP that isn't corrupt? And I don't just mean corrupt, I mean not comically corrupt?
Within minutes of reading this post, this happened:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-62207530
A police and crime commissioner who had pledged to crack down on speeding has been given a six-month driving ban after being caught breaking the limit five times in 12 weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:48 pm

This is happening with such frequency that I've completely run out of responses.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:18 am

Down to Truss or Sunak.

Fucking hell…. is Sunak actually the best choice? Who was the last PM that wasn’t a scumbag?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:40 am

I'm still very much in the "whoever wins, we lose" camp. I've found it very difficult to engage with this popularity contest because a) I don't have any control over it and b) they're all bloody awful and beholden to other awful people anyway so it doesn't make much difference. I would have said Sunak is less electable because he's largely responsible for the financial trouble 90% of the electorate are facing, but when was the last time the electorate made a sensible decision based on a politician's track record anyway?

Go on Tories, stick ol' Pork Markets on the ballot. Maybe she presents as dumb enough to appeal to Johnson's fans.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:48 am

The trouble with Sunak is that he's all style, no substance (much like Johnson, though I never accepted the claim that he was a great orator - he was just loud). That will likely appeal to the people who were duped by the Johnson facade. Truss on the other hand may be useless and divisive enough to destroy them at the next election. All aboard the Truss Bus! Next stop, Calamity HQ.

Although chances are she could actually trigger WW3. I think she suggested at one of the debates that she'd go over to Russia and tell Putin off, or similar. :lol: