The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Elephant in the Room - Brexit

Post by Raid » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:51 pm

I think Johnson is so devoid of principle (don't forget he published an article declaring his opposition to Brexit two days before he joined the Leave campaign) that he'd call an election out of spite.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:23 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:52 pm

Saving their own skins, nothing more. Still it should hasten the downfall of BlowJo so I'm all for more resignations.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:22 pm

They're setting themselves up for the inevitable leadership battle. Still, it's pretty fucking galling for them to be quitting citing that government should be "conducted properly, competently and seriously", when there hasn't been even a hint of that being the case for years.

Do you think Johnson's going to even attempt his usual line of "Let's get back to what the people elected us to do, support Ukraine and level up the country" this time?

eny

Post by eny » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:59 pm

I said long ago, that they would wait until the bin is nearly full in the hope that Johnson takes all the crap with him when they finally kick him out. They will hope a new start will absolve them of their previous evils....not a fucking chance, vote them all out the fuckers.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:02 am

The appointment of Nadhim Zahawi as Chancellor has a certain facepalm-worthy irony given recent events. From his Wikipedia article:
Attendance at a Presidents Club charity dinner

In late January 2018, it was reported in the media that Zahawi was one of the attendees at a men-only dinner event organised by the Presidents Club at the Dorchester Hotel in London. Media reports alleged that female hostesses were subjected to sexual harassment and incidents of groping and inappropriate touching. Following the revelations of his attendance at the event, Zahawi posted a tweet condemning such behaviour and stated that he felt uncomfortable at what he saw happening. He has also stated that he will never attend such a men-only event again. In response, opposition politicians, including the Shadow Secretary of State for Education, Angela Rayner, called for Zahawi to step down from his position as Parliamentary Under-Secretary in the Department of Education as he did not report his concerns about unlawful behaviour at the event to the police and because he had attended the event before on several occasions.
You couldn't make it up.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:18 am

I suspect Johnson's list of allies is now so small that he had to hire his new health secretary and chancellor by sticking "Is there anyone left that hasn't actually been convicted of anything?" in their Whatsapp group.

Edit: The new chancellor is already having to deny claims that he got the job by threatening to resign from the cabinet, and that Liz Truss was Johnson's actual pick. I'm not sure where the evidence is for that claim, but don't you just feel that it's accurate?

The children's minister has also resigned. I can't say I'm surprised by this, mainly because I'd never heard of him and didn't know we *had* a children's minister. At this rate Larry the Cat will be Foreign Secretary by the end of the day. He'll probably restore some faith in the office too.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 am

Raid wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:22 pm
Do you think Johnson's going to even attempt his usual line of "Let's get back to what the people elected us to do, support Ukraine and level up the country" this time?
Seems that's the only thing he knows how to do:
Mr Johnson shrugged off the criticism and reportedly told friends: ‘I’m not going anywhere’.

According to the Mailonline, he told allies: ‘I’m going to smash on and deliver for the people who gave us a massive mandate. Everyone just needs to calm down, stop bickering and let us get on with the job in hand.’

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:25 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 am
Perfect. I'm honestly surprised that's the first time I've seen that gif given all the shit that's happened to this government in the last six months.

I've noticed the BBC have just stopped doing summaries of all of the resignations, after they had to apologise for them no longer being accurate ten minutes after being published. There haven't been any more significant resignations than Sunak and Javid, but junior ministers are leaving in droves now. I've genuinely lost track of the numbers, but I think it's over 20 now. The writing's on the wall and they're withdrawing support in order to have some small amount of credibility with whomever wins the now inevitable leadership election. And all of this because Johnson couldn't even tell the truth to his own ministers. Every one of them has been fine with the constant lying to the electorate.

The funny thing is that despite all of this, the only way I can see Johnson resigning is if he no longer has enough bodies to fill all of the vacant positions. There's speculation that the party are going to change their own rules to remove him. Part of me is sad that this is the state of our politics, but a not insignificant part is hoping this gets dragged out and the entire party self-destructs. I want the leadership contenders to start sniping at one another.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:30 am

I'd love to know what it would take, what degree of scandal or quantity of them, for him to resign of his own volition.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:41 am

I genuinely don't think there's any scandal that would make him leave of his own volition, his hand would need to be forced. Multiple gore-soaked body bags could be seen leaving Number 10, and he'd still be telling everyone he considered the matter had been handled and he was going to get on with the job the voters gave him a huge majority for.

There've been 5 resignations in the last 20 minutes. I'm sorta hoping that nobody besides his loyalists turns up for PMQs, and we get the image of his side of the House being almost entirely empty while the opposition benches are absolutely filled.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:48 pm

Seeing as the US could very well swing to the extreme right in the next election it's probably a good idea for BJ to be removed and have someone who isn't a boot licking Edwin be in charge.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:58 pm

Dont fool yourself, the English wont vote out the Tories and the Tories are all book liking wankers. :(
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:05 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:58 pm
the Tories are all book liking wankers. :(
...Boot licking? Unless you're railing against those well-read bastards! :lol:

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:09 pm

:lol:

The problem is they only lick them ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.