The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

I installed an adblocker extension to Chrome, and now I am ad-free. Cheers, Rusty!

See, this thread is very useful. ¬_¬
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm going to add Daily Mail readers to this list because, as much of a laugh as they provide when I read their comments, some of the stuff they're coming out with about this Op Yellowhammer release just beggars belief.

It is so painful to know that we share this country with people who have absolute shit for brains. I'm surprised most of them remember to breathe. I am so close to disowning members of my own family who spout similar nonsense on Facebook.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm

As annoying as it is to share your island with people less intelligent than yourself, or people who say or believe things that we consider to be stupid, I'm afraid that kind of elitist contempt and dehumanisation of those who differ from ourselves (e.g. "Daily Mail Readers"), only makes things worse.

I am grateful that in my own life I have family members, colleagues and friends across a wide variety of different positions, politically, religiously, culturally and nationally, which have enabled me to gain a greater empathy and understanding for both sides of any story.
The hissing of rats

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Don't assume that I don't have empathy for both sides of the story, I grew up in one of those touted 'left behind' towns and fully appreciate the economic strife that poorer people go through.

What I am specifically referring to are comments like "food shortages will be good because it will make people less fat" and "throw the judges in prison" and "this is a remain conspiracy to weaken Brexit" and all manner of racist and xenophobic comments to boot. They're defined as 'Daily Mail Readers' because that's where I am finding these opinions.

I have a zero tolerance policy towards people who's opinions are actively dangerous. This cult of Farage and Johnson is teetering on the verge of fascism. The die hard supporters of Brexit are like religious zealots at this point. I'm not going to bite my tongue over it anymore.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Okay, well I can sympathise with that. People saying stupid stuff is always really annoying, wherever it is. Sometimes it's just misinformed, innocent ignorance and there's scope for some healthy debate which results in everyone (or at least one party) coming away better educated than before. Frequently that person is myself.

But there is also what seems to be a kind of malignant, wilful, toxic, dangerous stupidity as well, only interested in mindless destruction, rather than building up or bettering the world. I can see why it is easy to completely give up on or dismiss people who seem to express such views, but I like to live in hope that peace can be made and bridges be built. Though, having said that, I do admit I have occasionnally met the odd person so intolerable that I've simply cut off all contact with them without explanation.

I should say, though, that I see on a fairly frequent basis that same toxic, hateful attitude as much among the "militant left" as the "militant right". I'd be rather wealthy by now if I had a pound for the number of times I've heard people, who supposedly stand on the political left, talking in the most brutal, savage, uncompromising terms toward other people who differ from them politically. I am absolutely shocked by the inconsistency of those who will on one hand claim to stand against Nazism and bigotry, then propose the most disturbingly violent "solution" to deal with entire swathes of the population they don't like... which is exactly the kind of thing a Nazi would do. I would say I have a zero-tolerance policy against that kind of language, wherever it comes from. And it's not just Daily Mail readers.
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm
I am grateful that in my own life I have family members, colleagues and friends across a wide variety of different positions, politically, religiously, culturally and nationally, which have enabled me to gain a greater empathy and understanding for both sides of any story.

Also, further reflection has made me realise the above sentence makes me sound like a total pompous windbag. Apologies. ¬_¬
The hissing of rats

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:15 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:04 am
Stormbringer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Also, further reflection has made me realise the above sentence makes me sound like a total pompous windbag. Apologies. ¬_¬
No I know where you are coming from. I recently had an argument with a friend who is leaning into far right territory now and had started on about racist themes. I asked him how many non-English/white people he actually knew personally (seeing as he was a plumber coming from a small town in very white Hampshire) and unsurprisingly there wasn't much contact, so what I asked him was he so afraid of? I talked to him about my extensive contact with people from many different countries and cultures in my work and my own feeling that scratch a tiny bit below the surface and we are all exactly the same, but while I could see he believed what I said it didn't change his views. If our life experiences had reversed, would I hold similar views now?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am

Given that the Daily Mail is a hate-fuelled, fear-inducing rag of lies, I think it's fair to assume that its bile is going to rub off on the average regular reader who takes it seriously. Which is to say that while its readers may spout some horrible stuff, they're merely repeating what the Mail has manipulated them into pointing their pitchforks at. And yes, people need to take responsibility for their own opinions and where they get their information from, but the Daily Mail is a powerful force of commercial propaganda, and propaganda has been (and is being) used to shape the thoughts of entire nations, smart or otherwise.

That's why I try to direct my loathing at the Daily Mail and its agenda rather than its readers.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 am

Both my parents and step-father are dyed-in-the-wool Mail readers and at family gatherings regularly regurgitate all the hate propaganda they've read in it, it drives me absolutely up the wall.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am

My parents live in a news bubble of BBC headlines, which in a way is just as bad. All of the hyperbole, none of the substance.

Unsurprisingly they think Corbyn is an untrustworthy monster and probably a terrorist-loving communist, but they can't explain why. My dad argued that he leans too much when he's talking in parliament. :?

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am
My dad argued that he leans too much when he's talking in parliament. :?
WELL THAT IS JUST NOT ON.

(Clearly this leaning is because the noxious REPTILE within struggles to speak at the same time as standing up straight while wearing the "elderly male human" costume).
The hissing of rats

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am

:lol:

It really is a stance (pun absolutely intended) that can't be argued with.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 am

What the fuck must he think of Jacob The Recliner?! :shock:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 am

We see eye to eye on Mogg, which is that with a child named Sixtus he is clearly a Harry Potter villain.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am

It's easy for people to see eye-to-eye with each other on Mogg.

They just have to look over him while he lies on the bench!
The hissing of rats