The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:47 pm

That's right. Never worry about digging yourself into a deeper hole. After all, Dante and Virgil escaped the Inferno by travelling through a passage under Satan's ballsack in the lowest circle of Hell and out of the other side.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:27 pm

Best friends who piss you off.

Sometimes you want to give them a hug. Other times, like today, you want to ram their head up their backside and play them cheeks like bongo drums.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:37 am

This thing that people do now -- it seems to have been going on the last two or three years at least -- where everyone brings their own plastic water-bottle with them everywhere they go. The office. A meeting. Wherever. But it's not just any old plastic bottle with a screw on lid, it's a fancy thing with brightly coloured components, a handle of some sort, and usually a complex mechanism for delivering the water to one's mouth. Weirdly, people seem to get a new one of these every few months; it's almost like they've become a fashion accessory along with one's phone etc. One of the latest designs, which two members of my office have, makes a rapid-fire "SLURP-SLURP-SLURP-SLURP-SLURP" sound when it is drunk from. And these two employees take regular "slurps" from it throughout the day.

Just get a normal cup, fill it up with water at the tap and drink like a normal person, please.
The hissing of rats

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 am

We were given metal water bottles at work as part of an effort to reduce plastic waste. The issue is that our company owns a lot of old buildings, where we're advised that it's not safe to drink the tap water due to the age of the plumbing. This means we have an awful lot of water coolers, and the coolers tend to be supplied with disposable plastic cups, which people use once and then throw away. In my office, people won't go upstairs to get a non-disposable drinking vessel to bring back down to get water with. It's the absolute height of laziness. Sadly I'm the only bugger that actually uses the new metal bottles, and it's been yet another waste of money.

Anyway, my point is that the metal bottles are insulated, meaning they keep water cold for most of the day, and are therefore superior to a regular cup or mug.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:09 pm

We got rid of the disposable plastic cups at our water coolers too. Now we have reusable ones, which are just regular plastic cups, but not thin and breakable like the old kind. I keep one on my desk and fill it up from the cooler every time I want a drink. They're taken away, washed by our catering contractor, and returned to the rack on a daily basis.
The hissing of rats

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Our company work with Sky and in sky’s big anti plastic “ocean rescue” initiative they.... and I shit you not.... sent all their engineers a cheap shitty PLASTIC, not even insulated, travel mug that probably makes anything in it taste of polybags and almost certainly all went in the bin. Fucking morons! ](*,)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:15 pm

When you're pretty darn sure you copied something with Ctrl + C, yet when you paste it, it hasn't saved.
The hissing of rats

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:03 pm

That's why when on Windows, I press it at least 3 times, to make sure it's paying attention.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:42 am

Fuck Sharepoint as a platform to store and use worksheets.

As a repository for reference texts that anyone can access, sure. For a working tracker-type spreadsheet that will need multiple people over several continents to access, you may as well flip a coin before clicking Close to know whether it's not only saved your amendments but even showed you the most up-to-date info beforehand. Also its interface and range of available options is a shell of regular Excel, which you're entitled to because you have Excel, so why fucking bother.

And don't say OneDrive. You get to use a real Excel program, sure - but when you find that some insomniac co-worker six timezones away was in the file beforehand and then fucked off down to the local bodega and got into a three-hour Instagram shoot, came back, closed their copy, and took all your work with it into a duplicate that some jobsworth in your own office deletes in the name of Housekeeping...

*exhales nasally*
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:44 am

Sharepoint is a hateful blight upon the world. It has all the elegance of someone with a broken toe attempting to sprint to a toilet before they shit themself.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 am

Agreed. Absolutely awful.
The hissing of rats

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:25 am

At work we call it Wherepoint, because once it's uploaded you'll never find it again.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 am

And yet companies (and worse, the PMO, failed PMs to a man/woman) insist that it must be used. The rule should and must be, if the replacement is not better than what it replaces, it should not be the fucking replacement...

Add Confluence to the list too...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Colds that don’t manifest as a fully-fledged cold where you can justify some time to rest and boil it out of your body with a good old fever for a couple of days, but instead linger as a general malaise for a month. I can’t even classify this as manflu (what a patronising term) - it’s just perpetual sniffles. Give me something to work with, you pansy-arse viruses! :x

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm

I've had something similar for nearly a week now. Perpetual feelings of a stuffy nose and lump at the back of my throat like you get in the early stages of a full blown cold when you know you're about to come down with it big time. It's been nothing more than a constant irritant all week, though luckily starting to clear up now.