The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Pew-Pew

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Tbh I wouldn't factor in exercise calories into weight loss calorie counting at all unless you are doing something like running a marathon. The estimates are always awful and very dependent on a lot of different things.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:20 pm

Pew-Pew wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:59 pm
Tbh I wouldn't factor in exercise calories into weight loss calorie counting at all unless you are doing something like running a marathon. The estimates are always awful and very dependent on a lot of different things.
Agreed. Wanna lose weight? Eat less calories. Or get a job at a warehouse, or landscaping/construction, but keep your eating habits the same. Weight will fall off. I lost 5lbs last month working on the night shift stock crew at WalMart, while waiting for this new nursing contract to come in. I ate one meal a day, a couple of protein bars during my nine hour shift, lost that weight in three weeks.

Trouble is, being vigilant in the kitchen is way harder than any gym workout :p I've put that weight back on already, three weeks later, but at least I have a gym here at the hotel so I can get a bit stronger again.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:27 pm

My intake is now significantly below my daily BMR based on an average of the wildly varying calculators I found to tell me what that is (there's about a 400 calorie difference between the highest and lowest). I've been eating Huel 5 or 6 nights a week for the best part of two years now which is very easy to calculate, and I've managed to finally knock the once-a-week takeaways on the head by switching to fancy ready meals (which all have calorie counts on the packaging). I've lost 3 kilos in 3 weeks, so what I'm doing seems to be working, it's just that I'd worked out how long it was going to take me to get down to the weight I want to be based on the additional burn I was getting through exercise.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:40 pm

1 kg a week is great! That's a good rate to lose weight, not too quick. I guess keeping the habit afterwards is the hard part.

I'm also losing weight atm. Currently about 105 kg (6ft 3, so should be <95 kg really) and aiming to be 102 kg before christmas at least. I've lost weight before so I have a good idea of what works for me. About 4 years ago I went from 105 to 88 kg in a few months. All it really takes for me is not eating outside of mealtimes, and not having dessert after tea. I've had pretty bad habits with that stuff in the last year or so though. I have to just give myself a rule to follow.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 am

Great job, guys! I'm finding that I have to urge myself to make good decisions on a daily basis. I've fallen into some very bad habits after the divorce then the awful, ridiculous relationship I had afterwards :( I'm starting to tackle these issues, one by one, and let me tell you it's tough to change the momentum that's been created over the last five years. Maybe we should create a new 'motivation' thread? I seem to recall we used to have one?
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:24 am

My broadband finally returned last night at 10 after being out since Saturday morning thanks to Storm Arwen. Openreach are useless with communication.

Although of course I appreciate people in Scotland have it rougher than me at the moment.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:44 am

Solitaire wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 am
Great job, guys! I'm finding that I have to urge myself to make good decisions on a daily basis. I've fallen into some very bad habits after the divorce then the awful, ridiculous relationship I had afterwards :( I'm starting to tackle these issues, one by one, and let me tell you it's tough to change the momentum that's been created over the last five years. Maybe we should create a new 'motivation' thread? I seem to recall we used to have one?
I just added a post to Sly's blog post about his diabetes, but didn't realise it was in the blog folder. Maybe I'll make a new thread.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:45 am

It's amazing how quickly it feels like the dark ages when you don't have broadband daily (It's different when you're on holiday).
Solitaire wrote:
Maybe we should create a new 'motivation' thread? I seem to recall we used to have one?
Agreed. I need to lose some weight too. The family (well my girlfriend's family) are all going to a centreparcs where I'm sure we'll all be in the water at some point so I'd rather look less fat in swimming trunks. Annoyingly the blokes going are mid twenties and gym bunnies with muscles on muscles.
Oh well, 50+ dad bod coming at ya...
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 am

Pew-Pew wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:44 am
Solitaire wrote:
I just added a post to Sly's blog post about his diabetes, but didn't realise it was in the blog folder. Maybe I'll make a new thread.
I really need to focus on my health again, everything's gone to shit over the past year or so :(

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 am

Zavvi.

I saw a Black Friday deal with them for a couple of blu rays which I went for (about 10 days ago). At the checkout they'd added some Zavvi digital magazine for free, which I thought nothing of. Anyway, nearly a week later it still hadn't been dispatched, so I asked them if there was a problem and when I could expect the order. All I got in response was an automated "check your order status" email, which is no use to man nor beast.

A couple of days after that I'd had enough and tried to cancel it, only to find that because they'd emailed me the digital magazine as part of the order, I could no longer cancel the order via the website. FFS. Who's betting that's intentional? So I contacted them again, explained that I didn't want their magazine and never asked for it, and could they please cancel the order. This morning I've been told that it went to the warehouse a while back so they're unable to cancel it at their end and I should just wait for it to arrive and then cancel. No apology. No explanation for the delay. No indication of when the warehouse might find the parcel that's been with them for days.

Fuck me, what a useless bunch of jobsworths. I get that Black Friday is busy, I get that working on support is no fun and I get that some support teams have to follow a script that restricts their actions. But what is the point in having a support team if they can't fulfill the most basic bloody tasks? From my perspective, they've taken my money and are showing zero interest in actually sending me what I've ordered. That's fraud. I've told them they've got until the end of the day to dispatch it or I'm telling my bank to cancel the charges to my credit card.

That's my first and last experience of shopping at Zavvi.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:55 am

Zavvi are a nightmare. You have my sympathies.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:28 am
I don't know whether it's a software bug (I've looked at appropriate subreddits and it's not just me experiencing this) or if the watch has been miscalculating calorie burns for the entire time I've had it, which frankly would explain a few things.
Samsung aren't exactly known for quality software, I wouldn't hesitate to assume they've massively changed/fixed/fucked something up without mentioning it to anyone.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Storms on recycling day.

It's currently blowing a 40mph gale and raining heavily. It's also the day we have to put our sturdy but lightweight recycling boxes out. The estate looks like an explosion at the town tip. I'm in all day so I've been able to go out and rescue my own stuff (I'm now up to three times), but everyone who went out to work this morning obviously can't do that. It'd be fine if we could just put the things out and leave them next to the house, but if they're not at the end of the drive they won't be collected. We get massive, heavy wheelie bins for household and garden waste, why can't we have something similar for recycling?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:14 am

Nothing's simple anymore. We all got a Christmas voucher from work for one of those 'experience' businesses where you can go on a flying lesson or drive a fast car round a track for an hour or whatever. Nice gesture but it's not really my thing, so I went straight for the covid corner of the website which offers experiences like beer and cheese being delivered to your door.

I entered the voucher code, added the beer selection and cheese selection to the order and checked out, which all seemed easy enough. The next day I discovered it hadn't ordered anything though - all it had done is generate two separate codes for each experience. So I grudgingly went back and entered both codes, which then generated TWO MORE codes to be used on the respective websites. The cheese one went through fine and that's coming today, but the Beer52 code said it was expired when I entered it. FFS.

So I got onto the experience website's support and told them they'd given me an expired code, which you'd think would be dead simple to look into and correct, but no. After day one of exchanging emails, they concluded that the voucher had expired (no shit). After day two they told me I should contact Beer52. After day three and some terse explanation that THEY had provided me with the expired code, not Beer52, they finally agreed that it probably was their job to sort it out.

With the code eventually fixed, I found that I could only claim the voucher on Beer52 by signing up to their subscription service. Of fucking course that's how it works. So I signed up on the basis that I'd just immediately cancel the sub, but it turns out you can't cancel straight away! No no no, don't be silly! You have to wait a day or two to have that option. And just to make this wonderful gift experience even more delightful, the £30 beer voucher somehow translated to £24 once it had been claimed, so £6 has vanished into the ether. Not a chance I can be arsed chasing that up now, which I expect is what they count on.

Just for once, can't a business simply be honest and uncomplicated in their practices, admitting when they've made a mistake and correcting it without having to be pressured, and without resorting to underhanded methods to obfuscate where your money is going? Fucking scam artists, the lot of them.

The Zavvi debacle is still ongoing, incidentally. I've reported them to the Citizen's Advice consumer service for failing to uphold my right to cancel an online purchase within 14 days. I doubt that will result in so much as a yawn from Zavvi, but it's the first step in taking actual action against them.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:25 pm

God job on sticking it out and doing the right thing. As you say, too many people would just give up
-- To be completed at some point --